JCA OWNERS!!! (RE)JOIN THE JET CITY LOUNGE!!!

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!

Moderators: greatmutah, GuitarBilly

Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

JCA OWNERS!!! (RE)JOIN THE JET CITY LOUNGE!!!

Post by Tortuga »

Same club, new crib. With the blessing of our illustrious host and founder of the original Jet Setters, Mr Billy, I'm currently pulling content from the old site and will post any informative / relevant stuff I can find, including setups, effects loop compatibility, modifications, resources, and whatever else looks and sounds good. I'm not claiming to be the foremost expert on these amps, but I've got a good enough grasp on what works and what doesn't, and am hoping that those of you that are (or were) using Jet City equipment will pipe in with your own expertise and insight to build a strong community here.

To (re)join the group, please let us know who you are and insert a link to this thread in your signature, as follows:

Jet Setters 2.0 (Jet ★ City Lounge Redux)
Last edited by Tortuga on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Co-founder of the Jet Setters 2.0 (Jet ★ City Lounge Redux)

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, SD-1, TS9, Crybaby, MXR108, Algal clone, Carbon Copy deluxe

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

"Slow and steady gets to **** again eventually" :fap:
Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Re: JCA OWNERS!!! (RE)JOIN THE JET CITY LOUNGE!!!

Post by Tortuga »

The following list of effects found to be compatible with the JCA effects loop was compiled by GuitarBilly74. I'll continue to update / modify the list as needed.

Modulation:
Eventide Mod Factor
Eventide Pitch Factor
TC Nova Modulator
TC Vortex Flanger
TC Shaker Vibrato
TC Corona Chorus
TC SCF Stereo Chorus Flanger

Delay:
Hardwire Delay
TC Nova Delay
TC Nova Repeater Delay
TC Flashback
Boss DD-20
Tech 21 D.L.A/boost
Eventide Time Factor

Reverb:
Hardwire Reverb
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
Blue Sky Reverb
TC Nova Reverb
Eventide Space
Tech 21 RVB

Multi effects:
TC Nova System
Line 6 M9
Boss GT8
Vox Tonelab LE (thanks, Promit)
Line6 HD500X (seems to work great using 4-cable method, from my initial testing)
Zoom MS-70CDR (thanks, spadearcher!)
Alesis Midiverb 4 (thanks, Hackeiommi)

Volume Pedals:
EB VP Jr (for passive pickups)
Boss FV300L

EQ:
MXR 10-band
Boss GE-7

Clean Boost:
MXR Micro Amp
TC Booster Line Driver (BLD)

Looper:
TC Ditto Looper

Loop Level Stuff:
Ebtech Line Level Shifter (streets for $75.99, according to racerevelon)

Pedals that do NOT work in the loop:
EHX Small Stone and Small Clone
Joyo phaser, chorus, and delay, according to DocRawk
I tried my MXR Eq, and found it to have some distortion issues - I may have to retract it from 'working' status
Zoom G3 has been removed from 'working' status by spadearcher
Last edited by Tortuga on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:08 am, edited 11 times in total.

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Tortuga »

Here's some useful JCA-related materials, threads, sites, etc. Please feel free to let me know about others and I'll put them here.

Reference and Modifications Threads We've begun creating new threads for each mod, to keep things clean - if you have a mod to post, please put start it in the DIY area and let me know about it in this thread so I can reference it here.

HCAF Threads ...and don't be flamin' me about these. Until I can get time to copy / summarize some of the better ones, there's still some killer info over there
  • Old Jet City Lounge - the original started by Billy, before he strayed :lol:
  • Pedal List for JCA Loop - lots of information, including some that won't work - most of the working stuff is summarized above
  • Biasing the 50H - make sure you read and understand how to discharge your caps before you even think about opening the chassis!
  • Mods for the 20 - Edge11's mod thread for the 20 head and combo - excellent technical resources and discussions
  • Mods for 50/100/22 - Edge11's technical resources and discussions for the multi-channel series' with much recent activity on the 22h
  • Alternative channel switching
  • KT66 Tubes in JCA50 - Although KT66's are intended to be a drop-in replacement for the 6L6, there is some concern that the stock PT may not be able to supply the additional current required by the bigger tube. There is considerable discussion about PT and OT upgrades starting on page 4 of this thread.
  • JCA Tone Stack - Interesting discussion about setting up the passive tone stack in JCA designs. Advice is to turn everything on the EQ to max & dial down to taste.

YouTube and Other Important Links

Also started a thread regarding parts supplier sites

And, some totally unrelated (to JCA) DIY stuff that I like (my thread, my links :D)

Need to find
* clean/crunch switch
* t-filter

Special note to anyone starting to go through this thread (or are just a glutton for punishment :D): please let us know if you find any particular tidbit in this or any other threads out there that could be added to this list. I've recently (Jan 2015) gone back through the whole thread and referenced things that were of interest to me - perhaps I missed something. Let's make this the preeminent source on all things JCA!
Last edited by Tortuga on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Gear

DIY

BleedingWhiskey
Hall of Fame Member

Post by BleedingWhiskey »

I'm in! Going on 2 1/2 years with the JCA 100H and I still love it :-bd

I'm currently running it on the normal channel with the gain a little past noon and boosting it with a Fulltone OCD. Alot of punch, clarity, and twang running it this way with my Fender guitars. Cut's through the mix like a machete.
Stringy Things:
2003 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PG/Dimarzio VVB pickups)
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's (SD PG humbuckers)
2021 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Dimarzio SD/36th Anni humbuckers)
2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Fralin P-90 pickups)
2017 Balaguer GAB Scumden (SD PG humbuckers)
2020 Fender American Professional II Telecaster (SD Broadcaster/Vintage tele pickups)
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90 pickups)
2021 Jackson JS32 Dinky (SD JB/Jazz humbuckers)
2019 Fender Active Deluxe Precision Bass Special (stock pickups)

Loud Makers:
Jet City 100H LTD head amp
Jet City 50H head amp
Jet City USA Custom JCA48C 4x12 (V30s)
Jet City JCA5012C 1x12 combo amp (stock speaker)

Stompy Things:
Lots o' pedals
Line 6 Helix LT

THE VELOSTACKS
Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Tortuga »

Here's my JCA50H, with a couple mods - custom panel (built-up frame around expanded metal grille with velcro hold-downs), front-panel depth control, clean and scoop switches (thanks Edge11!). Finished the look with chicken heads. I really like both channels, and recently got into boosting the lo-gain channel with my new Bad Monkey. Good stuff! I generally keep the gain to 3 (give or take) on the OD channel - I think I need to lower my pickups, 'cause it's gainy as hell. Love the tone, though - running mids and bass pretty high and dropping the treble and presence to tame some of the brightness of the amp. Also retubed and biased with all JJs from Eurotubes.

Speaker cabs are a <ahem> Line6 4x12 that (to me) doesn't sound too bad, although I'm really after a Randall XL with V30s. Also have a 2x12 that I built up from scratch using speakers from my old Boogie vertical half-back. I divided the cab in two - a partially open section for the C90 and a Thiele side built to TL806 specs.

Gear

DIY

Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Tortuga »

BleedingWhiskey wrote:I'm in! Going on 2 1/2 years with the JCA 100H and I still love it :-bd

I'm currently running it on the normal channel with the gain a little past noon and boosting it with a Fulltone OCD. Alot of punch, clarity, and twang running it this way with my Fender guitars. Cut's through the mix like a machete.

Welcome! I really like the tone on your SoundCloud songs - were they recorded on your JCA?
Last edited by Tortuga on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gear

DIY

kissmyace
Hall of Fame Member

Post by kissmyace »

I'm in !!! Just got a 22h. Ready to rock it !!!!
"Madison Square Basement !!!!" :)
Yarbicus
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Yarbicus »

I'm in! I started with a JCA20h and JCA12 cab. Last year I pulled some strings (I don't work for JCA but dud write the user manuals) and scored a JCA22H that Mike Soldano modded so that the Crunch channel is a true clean channel. Also switched to chickenhead knobs. I loves it so!
Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Tortuga »

Welcome! I was really in a quandary about the 22h, which was announced, but not quite available in the summer of 2011, which is when I had cash in hand and lack of patience. Ended up getting the 50 and have been really happy, but the form factor of the 22h was what I really wanted at the time.

I'm curious -have either of you done a comparison of the 22 to the 50 or 100? Does the el84 make a big tonal difference to the 6l6 design?

Gear

DIY

Yarbicus
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Yarbicus »

Yeah, the power tubes make a difference but mostly at higher volumes. I actually prefer el84s so I am quite happy.
PeteLaramee
Hall of Fame Member

Post by PeteLaramee »

I have a BFG modded JCA22.

And it rocks.

:-bd
Pete
My New 2016 CD Contact me if you want it for $5 Shipped.
yell03
Registered Member

Post by yell03 »

PeteLaramee wrote:I have a BFG modded JCA22.

And it rocks.

:-bd

The BFG mod looks and sounds amazing from the vids I have seen, I would probably do the Double Deuce mod.
Mine is stock, I can see a separate BFG modded one in the future, I just can't bear to mess with the one I have, it sounds great as is.

Gibson Les Paul R7
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Blue
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro Goldtop
Egnater Tweaker 40
Jet City JCA22H
CTN
Hall of Fame Member

Post by CTN »

I'm in. Here's mah rig, a 100H with a Depth mod on the front. I was Blakkwater back on HCAF btw.

My Music

Fender MIJ '62RI strat: Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta | Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster: DuncanCustomRCA3/Little'59 | Fender Showmaster: PG+/'59 | CTN Polaris: JB/Hot Rails parallel
CTN Exploder 880 bass
Boss GE7 (monte allums mod) & NS2, Crybaby, OCD, Pitchblack, Nova Repeater
H&K Tubemeister 18 | Blackstar HTMetal-5H
Saxon 2x12 - Retro30/ET65 | Marshall 1x10" - Eminence 10859
Persian Rug
Placemat Jackson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Placemat Jackson »

Rockin' a JCA22H, bros!
Jet Setters 2.0 (Jet ★ City Lounge Redux)

HCAF Expatriate
CTN
Hall of Fame Member

Post by CTN »

So the LED pilot light on my JCA100H is dying/dead.

I want to replace it with a normal bulb-based amp light like the fender lights for example. Anyone here know if it;s more or less a direct swap or do I need to do any other mods?
My Music

Fender MIJ '62RI strat: Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta | Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster: DuncanCustomRCA3/Little'59 | Fender Showmaster: PG+/'59 | CTN Polaris: JB/Hot Rails parallel
CTN Exploder 880 bass
Persian Rug
Yarbicus
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Yarbicus »

CTN wrote:So the LED pilot light on my JCA100H is dying/dead.

I want to replace it with a normal bulb-based amp light like the fender lights for example. Anyone here know if it;s more or less a direct swap or do I need to do any other mods?

Don't know how easy the swap is but I do know that JCA will send a new one for free.
Yarbicus
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Yarbicus »

CTN wrote:I'm in. Here's mah rig, a 100H with a Depth mod on the front. I was Blakkwater back on HCAF btw.

That is sexy! :heart:
CTN
Hall of Fame Member

Post by CTN »

thanks mang! I really dig the new look too.

Also as far as the pilot light, I'm kinda tired of the blue. I want to change it to a yellow/orange light instead. I think when I next bias my amp I'll check the voltage at the pilot light and see if I can just use a standard bulb assembly instead.
My Music

CTN Exploder 880 bass
Persian Rug
BleedingWhiskey
Hall of Fame Member

Post by BleedingWhiskey »

GRIMESPACE wrote:
BleedingWhiskey wrote:I'm in! Going on 2 1/2 years with the JCA 100H and I still love it :-bd

Welcome! I really like the tone on your SoundCloud songs - were they recorded on your JCA?

My parts on those tracks were done on the overdrive channel on my JAC100h into my Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks. The other guitar player was running through the green channel on a Marshall DSL100 halfstack. He played lead on "Not Quite Home" and I played lead on "Joyride".
Stringy Things:
2003 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PG/Dimarzio VVB pickups)
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's (SD PG humbuckers)
2021 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Dimarzio SD/36th Anni humbuckers)
2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Fralin P-90 pickups)
2017 Balaguer GAB Scumden (SD PG humbuckers)
2020 Fender American Professional II Telecaster (SD Broadcaster/Vintage tele pickups)
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90 pickups)
2021 Jackson JS32 Dinky (SD JB/Jazz humbuckers)
2019 Fender Active Deluxe Precision Bass Special (stock pickups)

Loud Makers:
Jet City 100H LTD head amp
Jet City 50H head amp
Jet City USA Custom JCA48C 4x12 (V30s)
Jet City JCA5012C 1x12 combo amp (stock speaker)

Stompy Things:
Lots o' pedals
Line 6 Helix LT

THE VELOSTACKS
indienoise
Hall of Fame Member

Post by indienoise »

In. Hmmm mayhaps I should go crank mine tonight.
Jay
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Jay »

GRIMESPACE wrote:The following list of effects found to be compatible with the JCA effects loop was compiled by GuitarBilly74. I'll continue to update / modify the list as needed.

Modulation:
Eventide Mod Factor
Eventide Pitch Factor
TC Nova Modulator
TC Vortex Flanger
TC Shaker Vibrato
TC Corona Chorus
TC SCF Stereo Chorus Flanger

Delay:
Hardwire Delay
TC Nova Delay
TC Nova Repeater Delay
TC Flashback
Boss DD-20
Tech 21 D.L.A/boost
Eventide Time Factor

Reverb:
Hardwire Reverb
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
Blue Sky Reverb
TC Nova Reverb
Eventide Space
Tech 21 RVB

Floor Multi effects:
TC Nova System
Line 6 M9
Boss GT8

Volume Pedals:
EB VP Jr (for passive pickups)
Boss FV300L

EQ:
MXR 10-band
Boss GE-7

Why not just do the loop mod to the 50H and 100H so all pedals work? Just a resistor and cap addition! Just put a 860r-1k resistor in // to the 2k2 in R25 and a 4u7 cap in // to the 2k2 in R21. The cap and the 1k over R25 should be about 0dbv level or the 860r over R25 should be about -4dbv. Makes the amp a little stiffer/clearer, but the difference may never be noticed. I did the change to my SLO Clone.
Loud Noises
GuitarBilly
Chief Executive Owl

Post by GuitarBilly »

I did the loop mod and did not like the tone at all, it takes off a lot of the organic feel of the amp. I spoke with Mike Soldano about it and he also advises against it.
Guitars:
'78 Les Paul Pro / '89 SG Special/ '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic 3 pickup / Jackson Star/ Endres Tele / Fernandes Rhoads/ ''74 Hohner MIJ strat/ 2 Partscasters

Amps:
Depends on when you ask. I got tired of constantly updating this section lol

Cabs
Marshall 1960A w V30s/ Seismic 2x12 w Redback and V30.

Questions about the forum: please PM here. Can't access the forum? Need a password reset? Please access our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GuitarGearForumOfficial and message me through it.
Yarbicus
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Yarbicus »

Hey, be sure to add the Zoom G3 to "works in the loop." Love mine!!!
Jay
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Jay »

guitarbilly74 wrote:I did the loop mod and did not like the tone at all, it takes off a lot of the organic feel of the amp. I spoke with Mike Soldano about it and he also advises against it.

The 22H has a good loop design, though. Too bad the bigger guys didn't get it. Oh well, at least you found a whole bunch of pedals that get along with the loop. I didn't mind the difference in tone/feel with my Clone. I had changed a lot of that one, anyway. Was more like a Bogner XTC when I was done with it.
Loud Noises
Tortuga
Crystal Lettucer

Post by Tortuga »

Yarbicus wrote:Hey, be sure to add the Zoom G3 to "works in the loop." Love mine!!!

Got it!

Gear

DIY