Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Roland JC-120 
Registered Member

So yeah. Who uses it, what do you think, how does it takes pedals etc. My old practice space had the single-speaker jc-60 model and I remember liking the (clean) tone of it so I'm in the market for the big brother model. I prefer weird pedal dirt over amps so I think this would be something for me.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

squeaky clean almost to a fault of arid dryness without verb or chorus.

my recollection of them was as a virtually characterless amp that took all means of pedaldom with zero problem.

they sound okay clean-- just dry-ish and inoffensive.

i knew a lot of people who used 'em-- and they loved the lightning fastness of them as well.

oh.. and AWFUL dirt.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:35 pm
Hall of Fame Member

phpBB [video]

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
Nikola Tesla

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 pm
Hall of Fame Member

don't they have built in verb and chorus??

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:22 pm
Hall of Fame Member

sleewell wrote:
don't they have built in verb and chorus??

yep. i was just saying that run dry, they're the definition of 'dry amp'- as opposed to a sproingy bouncy blackface thick and gooey clean.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:23 pm
Registered Member

Dry-ish and inoffensive sounds just like my sense of humour, so that might be a good fit. Again, I don't use amp distortion anyway, so a characterless amp for pedlols and odd guitars sounds like what I want.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

fretless wrote:
phpBB [video]

god i love the three albums with adrian belew... so great.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Love them with EMG loaded guitars which help with sustain. Totally modern sounds. The chorus on the amp is amazing and I despise chorus.

:crap:

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I've always wanted to have one, I just never could bring myself to spend the $$ for one, when I'm not much of a clean player.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:56 pm
Hall of Fame Member

So a clean boost would duo absolutely nothing?
Except make it louder?

1x12 cube w/greenback
some guitars
some pedals

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm
Hall of Fame Member

phpBB [video]

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:22 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I love the JC amps. I play a lot of gigs where we have to use the clubs amps and if I see a JC, I'm happy as fuck.

They love and take pedals like a Thai tranny loves and takes cock in her/his ass :love:

You don’t win friends with salad

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:21 pm
Registered Member

NOTE: JC-120 was initially introduced in late 1970's and there are maybe 12 widely DIFFERENT versions of the design. Different meaning they might look almost identical but the electronics inside, speakers used, etc. may be quite different from another.

JC-120 from 1978 is nothing like a modern JC-120 or JC-120 from mid 1980's.

Take any opinion you hear about those amps with that fact in mind. They are not the "same amp".

e.g.

Quote:

Depends on the version. For example, some JC versions had fixed-threshold soft clipping feature and current feedback to spice up the tone to more "tubey" territory. JC series amps made since early 1980's do not have such features.

Likewise, chorus/vibrato circuit is very different in early vs. post early 1980's JC's.

Quote:
oh.. and AWFUL dirt.

Depends on circuit version. (As well as individual preferences). They used many different distortion circuits throughout the version history. (Not to mention the additional, non user adjustable fixed threshold soft clipper in some of them). For example, Roland's GA-series amps from late 1970's were similar to early JC's and had an Excellent dirt tone.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

teemuk wrote:
NOTE: JC-120 was initially introduced in late 1970's and there are maybe 12 widely DIFFERENT versions of the design. Different meaning they might look almost identical but the electronics inside, speakers used, etc. may be quite different from another.

JC-120 from 1978 is nothing like a modern JC-120 or JC-120 from mid 1980's.

Take any opinion you hear about those amps with that fact in mind. They are not the "same amp".

e.g.

Quote:

Depends on the version. For example, some JC versions had fixed-threshold soft clipping feature and current feedback to spice up the tone to more "tubey" territory. JC series amps made since early 1980's do not have such features.

Likewise, chorus/vibrato circuit is very different in early vs. post early 1980's JC's.

Quote:
oh.. and AWFUL dirt.

Depends on circuit version. (As well as individual preferences). They used many different distortion circuits throughout the version history. (Not to mention the additional, non user adjustable fixed threshold soft clipper in some of them). For example, Roland's GA-series amps from late 1970's were similar to early JC's and had an Excellent dirt tone.

ah-- that IS interesting. it did last a LONG time on the market, so the variations are kinda expected-- although i haveta say, almost universally, i never played one that sounded like much but a concrete mixer dirt wise. :D crappy gravely grit. but i'll certainly take your word for it! i'd love to hear a good one-- 'cause i'm pretty fond of a beefy solid state clean, to tell the truth-- i just haven't met some of the good, gooeyer jc's apparently!

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:45 am
Registered Member

Even if the dirt wasn't terrible, I doubt many people get one of these for the dirt. I'm not into hunting for specific vintage models, so I'll probably go for the current production model, or if a used one happens to show up.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Id rather find a SS bass amp to run a clean SS rig. . .

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm
Registered Member

Quote:
Even if the dirt wasn't terrible, I doubt many people get one of these for the dirt.

True. I think most get one just because it's a JC-120.

Although there are plenty of other stereo chorus solid-state amps out there with great cleans and great chorus/vibrato. And those other amps also excel in areas where JC-120 generally doesn't. Personally I'd pick an Ampeg VH-140C over a JC-120 any time.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]