Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
DIY rack pre clip 
Hall of Fame Member

Those of you who venture over to the DIY forum will know that I've been building a rack pre for the last forever :lol: :facepalm:
Well I have the 1st channel pretty much where I want it, which is a nasty sludgy Marshall that will get dirty enough without a pedal/boost while sounding raw. It'll tighten up enough for fast chuggas without a boost too.

It's based on a mig100h with some extra cathode bypass caps for more gain and a 2nd gain pot so I can dial it down if I want to use a pedal with it.

Anyway, enough of all that, it sounds like this:

Destroyer > rack pre > speedtwin fx return > captor > C+ IRs

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:17 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
DUDE! That has to be the best guitar tone I've heard in a while!!!
MEGA TITTIES!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm
Chief Executive Owl

wow yeah that sounds amazing!!!!!

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Marked for 20 minutes when I’m home

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds exactly like you described. Sabbath basically the way I like it sort of.

IRs or miced?

3 stage preamp + CF? Bigger coupling capacitors than usual maybe?

Would you try feeding from the plate?

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how it has turned out and I'm thinking that I may build this circuit as a full amp with a pair of KT88s and a whole bunch of power amp features.

tgn: That's using my captor and a few of the C+ redback IRs

There is a schematic over in DIY. This is 4 stage with a plate driven TS. It's not as wild super gainy as most 4 stagers as I'm sticking with 100k plate loads and hefty interstage attenuation. I could stick a 330k in there a la engl if I want it to scream but I have enough saturation and if I want more it's only a boost away. I will try out one small change to make the 2nd gain pot range more usable, basically just increasing the series resistance (10k to 100k) as it's configured as a variable resistor in the bottom of the 2nd to 3rd stage attenuation network. The coupling caps start large and then decrease across the amp. It'll never get ninja lows (tm) tight this way but doing this allows enough of the low end harmonic products to cascade while stopping blocking/farty distortion which would be a problem if there were 47n caps start to finish.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:25 am
Hall of Fame Member

Are you going hot cold hot on the preamp tubes bias wise?

I am thinking of tinkering with an amp or two, and was thinking about 100K plate resistors to decompress some...as you said getting a boost to hit the front end pretty much gives it...harmonics as well to provide even more vs the basic note alone so that's gain enough for me.

About boosting. I also found out that stacking a compressor before the boost is pretty good to adding some heft back in the tone. Imagine an sd-1 doing its thing and doing a compressor up front of the sd-1. It worked great on my soldano with less gain less on my more marshall inspired brunetti.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:34 am
Hall of Fame Member

dude. thats just ridiculous. :D

:rawk:

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 am
Hall of Fame Member

Just listened. Dude that's a seriously bad ass tone you built yourself. Fuckin A!

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:52 pm
GABmiral

Juicy and titty-licious!

:rawk:

:lol:

I like this.

Sidenote: That's like the most comfortable sweater I've ever owned, and I have no idea where it is.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

:D

tgn: the stages are cool (2k7), cold (4k7), cold (4k7), cool (2k7) with 100k plate loads.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]