Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Goodbye to Henry 
Hall of Fame Member

http://msretailer.com/juszkiewicz-step- ... y-october/

Now he'll have more free time to play his reverse Explorers and Vs.

https://soundcloud.com/user-842070663/your-turn-to-cry

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thats the best thing that Gibson has done in decades. :clap:

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am
Hall of Fame Member

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue

don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am
clipless

how in the world are they able to come out of bankruptcy debt-free?!?!?
they sold enough assets/divisions to be able to pay off all of the crippling debt??
should have just done that a year ago then.

I must be missing something.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:58 am
Hall of Fame Member

This was a long time coming. You would almost think from Henry's statement that he stepped down willingly. No way in hell. Just as much of a chance that he actually cares about the employees. What he cares about is his golden parachute and the lucrative consultant salary.

“We're going to have a great relationship with Putin and Russia.” 4/16
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.” 7/16

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

Debt free is cool. Bankruptcy as a business tool.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:00 am
Hall of Fame Member

lets just hope they stop making stupid models and get back to their roots

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 am
clipless

Those debts don't just disappear though - it only gives you time from the creditors at the door to be able to restructure. Could have been done before it got to this point (and now we are back to another of Henry's failures).

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:05 am
Hall of Fame Member

I don't pretend to understand business but I think the thing to do nowadays is borrow like a lunatic and then try to weasel out of paying most of it back. Business model pioneered by Donald Trump and others. Game the system and our country's generous bankruptcy laws.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 am
Chief Executive Owl

Henry had a solid run with Gibson. He pretty much saved the brand. It's only in the last few years that he went nuts.

I still think Anderton is involved in this crap somehow. This whole debacle reeks of his ideas.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Gibson is going to be run in the interim by one of those companies that restructures other companies? Not out of the woodwork yet! Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am
Hall of Fame Member

Iconic brand that I hope gets back to a place of stability.
T

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I still think Anderton is involved in this crap somehow. This whole debacle reeks of his ideas.

This is my firm belief. The timing makes too much sense.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm
Hall of Fame Member

banana hammock wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

This is my firm belief. The timing makes too much sense.

Pretty much this.

Bardagh wrote:
Gibson is going to be run in the interim by one of those companies that restructures other companies? Not out of the woodwork yet! Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

And this. Vultures and restructuring companies are not noted for employing nice people truly interested in the long-term health of the company they are "rescuing." Expect operations to get leaner, which means layoffs of a bunch of staff and the likelihood that production quality might take a dive as a result.

Wayne wrote:
I don't pretend to understand business but I think the thing to do nowadays is borrow like a lunatic and then try to weasel out of paying most of it back. Business model pioneered by Donald Trump and others. Game the system and our country's generous bankruptcy laws.

It's not only our country; Europeans generally try to lever up even more than US private equity investors. It is standard modus operandi for PE guys to use a company with a lot of equity as a cash register by taking out a bunch of loans to substantially up the short term returns, but generally speaking they don't actually want the company to go bankrupt, at least not until they've managed to sell their interest after 3-5 years. Of course, they don't particularly care if a company goes under if they've sold it to some sucker who has bought based mostly on the ROE and ignored the looming credit cliff.

Oh, and in the great recession the powers that be made a huge error by not criminally trying guys at places like Goldman and Morgan Stanley for some of the stuff they did by way of securitization (i.e. selling bad mortgage loans). The fines that were handed down sounded huge, but to the investment banks they were more or less considered a cost of doing business which was dwarfed by the profits they had made. As a result no one in the current generation of wall st sharks were scared straight enough to start even pretending to act ethical. That will result in some sort of financial bloodshed when the economy takes its inevitable dip...and the common citizenry are going to get shafted so that the elites don't lose their yachts and private planes.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm
Hall of Fame Member

PurpleTrails wrote:
And this. Vultures and restructuring companies are not noted for employing nice people truly interested in the long-term health of the company they are "rescuing." Expect operations to get leaner, which means layoffs of a bunch of staff and the likelihood that production quality might take a dive as a result.

Their management literally ranked last in Glassdoor one year. I don't think they could get any worse.

“We're going to have a great relationship with Putin and Russia.” 4/16
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.” 7/16

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]