Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Nice coverage of my techdeath band's EP on Metal Injection.. 
Hall of Fame Member

My tech-y death metal band (The Arsonist's Daughter) released a 3 song EP (Mnemonist) last month through bandcamp, and out of the blue, Metal Injection picked us as their feature for this week's "Tech-Death Tuesday." Pretty exciting and humbling that the writer just stumbled onto it via bandcamp new music tags I guess. Pretty cool coverage for us after 14 years grinding this stuff out in a basement in Indiana:

"Mnemonist makes the most of its mere three song volley in part by drawing strength from mathcore, grind, experimental electronic flourishes, and tech-death that leaves you wanting more."

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... -mnemonist

Anywho, thought I'd share!

EB VP Jr>
Axe FX 2>
Matrix GT800>
Mesa 4x12>
ears
controlled by MFC-101

or

TC Electronic Dark Matter>
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Chan Solo>
Mesa 4x12>
ears

https://www.facebook.com/TheArsonistsDaughterOFFICIAL/
https://thearsonistsdaughter.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDeTlN ... 8VfoTwglSw

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 am
GABmiral

Fuck yeah dude, that's awesome!

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am
Hall of Fame Member

Article is awesome. EP is awesome.

My metal band, Contrarian

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Lot's of Charvel's and Fender's

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome stuff!

Rock on dude :rawk:

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am
Hall of Fame Member

:rawk:

awesome stuff.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

Nice. I've heard of more and more bands looking to do EP length releases. Kind of like releasing a whole album worth of material at once is becoming a waste in some cases because of how hard it is get and keep people's attention.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

Bardagh wrote:
Nice. I've heard of more and more bands looking to do EP length releases. Kind of like releasing a whole album worth of material at once is becoming a waste in some cases because of how hard it is get and keep people's attention.

I am not a marketing expert but I would say do both. Record and release the entire album to sell but release one song at a time online over a period for the buzz factor.

40 year olds aren't dead yet. People do still buy albums.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Congrats dude.

Maddnotez wrote:
Bardagh wrote:

I am not a marketing expert but I would say do both. Record and release the entire album to sell but release one song at a time online over a period for the buzz factor.

40 year olds aren't dead yet. People do still buy albums.
this is what I'm doing. I'm recording a full length very very soon. But I'm gonna release the first 5 songs first then continue to release the rest over a short period of time. The goal is, hopefully, grab people's attention initially and be able to offer new music over the next couple months without having to write more.. And in the end it'll be a full length should anyone want a hard copy, etc. See how it goes

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm
Hall of Fame Member

My band Sulaco has the genius marketing strategy of recording a barely 30 minute album every 7 years and then have a big time producer mix it. :lol:

Helix Floor

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 pm
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
My band Sulaco has the genius marketing strategy of recording a barely 30 minute album every 7 years and then have a big time producer mix it. :lol:

Hey, I know how it is. Except a big producer. We DIY hardcore!! Lol. Although, we actually did pay money to get it mastered and we weren't happy. So, I did it. Although, we forked over decent cash for the artwork..

But yeah, I was just thinking, my album is barely 30 minutes. So I'm release 9 more minutes of music over the next 3 months??? Haha. Doesn't seem too enticing either. Idk. I've been doing demos before it was cool. That's all I did with this current project for near 20 years. I want to at least have one album under its name Damnit!

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

Hey, I know how it is. Except a big producer. We DIY hardcore!! Lol. Although, we actually did pay money to get it mastered and we weren't happy. So, I did it. Although, we forked over decent cash for the artwork..

But yeah, I was just thinking, my album is barely 30 minutes. So I'm release 9 more minutes of music over the next 3 months??? Haha. Doesn't seem too enticing either. Idk. I've been doing demos before it was cool. That's all I did with this current project for near 20 years. I want to at least have one album under its name Damnit!

Oh yeah.. been there, done that too. We have Neil Kernon do our mixing and Alan Douches does our mastering. It's just worked out that way the past couple albums. Neil has done everything from Hall and Oats to Nile, so his product is always superior

Helix Floor

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome!

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Right on!!! :rawk:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

Oh yeah.. been there, done that too. We have Neil Kernon do our mixing and Alan Douches does our mastering. It's just worked out that way the past couple albums. Neil has done everything from Hall and Oats to Nile, so his product is always superior

Buddy of mine had Kernon do sumthin with him too. He seems to be easier to get to work with. In fact, I think Kernon offered his services to him.. don't quote me on that, but that's pretty cool if I am right

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 pm
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:
EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

Buddy of mine had Kernon do sumthin with him too. He seems to be easier to get to work with. In fact, I think Kernon offered his services to him.. don't quote me on that, but that's pretty cool if I am right

If he likes it, he'll ask to do it. he still charges though :D

Helix Floor

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:23 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks guys! The support I've gotten from the forum for the band has been really humbling...thanks so much.

We'd originally planned on doing a "full-length" which, yeah, might have clocked in at 30 min. The plan was to track songs as we got them together. Got the first 3 done and then our drummer picked up a Mapex endorsement and got a new kit. Rather than have different drum sounds across a full length, we decided to go the ep route and just put out what we had and then focus on writing and recording about 7 songs over the winter for a spring release. We'll see what happens. Since I'm old, thinking in terms of a full-length is my default, but releasing track by track or clusters of songs is probably the way to go these days. I've kind of been kicking around physical media...we get a lot or requests for cds at shows, but it's hard to judge whether there'd be enough interest to bother getting them made. But I've been thinking about sort of a limited edition kind of deal...just order like 100, maybe even number them. We'll see. Lots of time to think about it.

EB VP Jr>
Axe FX 2>
Matrix GT800>
Mesa 4x12>
ears
controlled by MFC-101

or

Mesa 4x12>
ears

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 am
Hall of Fame Member

You should get support from this forum, because you guys rule.

Physical copies are a tough thing to gauge. It varies from city to city. Around here... forget CD's. It's vinyl or download with these people. Sulaco sales for our latest are mostly vinyl by a longshot. CD's just don't do it for people anymore it seems.

I find with Contrarian, who is a bit more "worldly" i suppose, it's the same. People buy the CD or download, but then harass us for vinyl anyway. I suppose that's a good thing, because then people end up buying your product twice.

In metal, especially extreme metal, Vinyl is king. However, It's also expensive, requires it's own mix/mastering if you want it done right and it takes forever, because the big vinyl joints are all being funded by the big labels. Lots of Lathe vinyl guys out there now however, so there are options for short runs and faster turnarounds.

People will buy vinyl from a metal band just because it's vinyl. It's crazy. Especially if you have colored versions

Helix Floor

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:

Physical copies are a tough thing to gauge. It varies from city to city. Around here... forget CD's. It's vinyl or download with these people. Sulaco sales for our latest are mostly vinyl by a longshot. CD's just don't do it for people anymore it seems.

I find with Contrarian, who is a bit more "worldly" i suppose, it's the same. People buy the CD or download, but then harass us for vinyl anyway. I suppose that's a good thing, because then people end up buying your product twice.

In metal, especially extreme metal, Vinyl is king. However, It's also expensive, requires it's own mix/mastering if you want it done right and it takes forever, because the big vinyl joints are all being funded by the big labels. Lots of Lathe vinyl guys out there now however, so there are options for short runs and faster turnarounds.

People will buy vinyl from a metal band just because it's vinyl. It's crazy. Especially if you have colored versions

You're so kind! I think you maaaaay be our biggest fan? lol! It means a lot!

Vinyl would be awesome, but it's definitely out of our reach as a DIY band...maybe someday.

I've thought about doing a nice heavy postcard or something we could sell with download codes at shows, but seems like it could be a lot of work for people to maybe just skip getting it at the show and just go directly to bandcamp.

EB VP Jr>
Axe FX 2>
Matrix GT800>
Mesa 4x12>
ears
controlled by MFC-101

or

Mesa 4x12>
ears

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

somata wrote:
atrox wrote:

You're so kind! I think you maaaaay be our biggest fan? lol! It means a lot!

Vinyl would be awesome, but it's definitely out of our reach as a DIY band...maybe someday.

I've thought about doing a nice heavy postcard or something we could sell with download codes at shows, but seems like it could be a lot of work for people to maybe just skip getting it at the show and just go directly to bandcamp.

Your singers Human Remains shirt won me over. :lol:

I just like good metal. Most metal these days irritates the shit out of me.

Check out some of the lathe vinyl places. Short runs at somewhat decent prices

Helix Floor

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 am
Hall of Fame Member

good stuff man

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 am
GABmiral

atrox wrote:
Alan Douches

That's an epic fucking name

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]