Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Having trouble with the D (speaking of setups, of course) 
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
Ever find that one string just will not intonate properly, no matter what you do? Like, you’ve adjusted the saddle in the correct direction, as far as it will go, and the intonation is still off?

Or is that the kind of thing that, natch, only happens to draelyc? :cop: :lol: :cry:

Welp, it’s time for a new pack of strings, anyway — we'll see if that makes a difference...

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, sometimes you get a funky string. Replace it and try again.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

New string. Definitely.

My Album For Sale!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

So you're saying the D isn't working, its not fitting in? Have you tried maybe lubing your nut? How about stretching the D? Sometimes you have to manhandle it in.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 am
Chief Executive Owl

Chris Z wrote:
So you're saying the D isn't working, its not fitting in? Have you tried maybe lubing your nut? How about stretching the D? Sometimes you have to manhandle it in.

:lol:

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Don't discount a finger in the ass either.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

As already stated, get a new D.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
Chris Z wrote:

:lol:

Yeah, I tried all that. :(. Guess like everyone’s saying I’m just gonna have to replace it with a new one. :eek:

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Try a black one, those are much more durable than the Chinese made ones.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

Chris Z wrote:
Try a black one, those are much more durable than the Chinese made ones.

Think the adjective you were seeking is "beefier," not "durable."

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I can't type in slide whistle.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm
Hall of Fame Member

:|
:mad:
:cry:

Brand new D didn't make a damn bit of difference. :phair:

Will changing out the whole set of strings make any difference, or is that likely a waste of time? Talking bout a Wilkinson vintage style trem set to float, fwiw.

Never noticed an intonation problem before, of course. Just suddenly I can't seem to get this one string even close enough for rock and/or roll...

Dave wrote:

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

From what I've read it would seem that your problem with the D might be stemming from the nut.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

Have you been messing with things you shouldn't be messing with again? :cop:

I'd hazard a guess that the D might be ok but the other 5 are fucked :idk:

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:43 pm
Hall of Fame Member

skybluegary wrote:
Have you been messing with things you shouldn't be messing with again? :cop:

I'd hazard a guess that the D might be ok but the other 5 are fucked :idk:

I ... can neither confirm nor deny that viscous rumor. :sarge: :nono: :shh: :nerd:

But either way, it now appears that, however statistically improbable, I apparently got three bad strings in a row. Having swapped it out twice, I was pretty sure the problem was either with the bridge or the nut ... but out of desperation I broke open an old pack of D’Addarios that I really wasn’t planning ever to use — just keeping as a backup. Changed the d, tuned, stretched it, stroked it, retuned it ... and I tentatively think that may have fixed the problem. Will check again tomorrow, but I already noticed a huge difference.

File under Crap That Only Seems To Happen to Draelyc... :phair: :lol:

Dave wrote:

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
clipless

So you couldn't get the saddle to adjust far enough forward?

Even all the way forward, the harmonic was still flat?

Can you flip the saddle?

Edit - n/m - I guess you got it.,....

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

clipless bumper wrote:

Can you flip the saddle?

The harmonic was in tune, but the fretted notes were way sharp. Moving the saddle away from the gen bridge helped, but I ran out of bridge before I could get it far enough away to be on pitch.

Glad it looks,like it was just a run ofmbad strings, though. Didn't like the other possibilities....

Dave wrote:

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
clipless

draelyc wrote:
clipless bumper wrote:

Can you flip the saddle?

The harmonic was in tune, but the fretted notes were way sharp. Moving the saddle away from the gen bridge helped, but I ran out of bridge before I could get it far enough away to be on pitch.

Glad it looks,like it was just a run ofmbad strings, though. Didn't like the other possibilities....

If you tune the open string, the harmonic (by definition) will always be in tune. (I totally had it backwards above). If fretted is sharp, move the saddle away from the neck (got it now)

Stupid question - you were re-tuning the open string reach time you moved the saddle, right?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

clipless bumper wrote:
draelyc wrote:
clipless bumper wrote:

Can you flip the saddle?

If you tune the open string, the harmonic (by definition) will always be in tune. (I totally had it backwards above). If fretted is sharp, move the saddle away from the neck (got it now)

Stupid question - you were re-tuning the open string reach time you moved the saddle, right?

Oh definitely. Had to -- the bridge is set up to float, so each time I moved the saddle I had to retune the one string and double check all the others. :phair:

Dave wrote:

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
clipless

Yeah - stupid question.
I understand how to set intonation - but never understood why it is different for each string. Seems like out should be a simple mathematical ratio across the board.

Guess it has to do with string thickness, wound or plain, and action height above the frets????

Last edited by clipless bumper on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Beats me, lol. The wherefores of that are beyond my level of physics expertise! Half the time, guitar stuff like this seems more like unicorn hoodoo than science, anyway.

Dave wrote:

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]