Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
How do you like your guitar setup? (shameless spinoff) 
Hall of Fame Member

Speaking of setups.....What do you guys like.

I am unsure if this is ok to do to a guitar, normal or if simple preferences are ok but I actually like a slight bow in my neck. Not a backbow, that would be weird but ever so slightly bowed in. Idk why, it just feels better to me than a completely flat neck to me and is easier to play.

Regarding action, I have found that it really just depends on the guitar. I had always just went for the "low as possible without any buzz" but lately I have actually had a couple of guitars where I would literally get the strings touching the 7th fret while pressing down frets 1 and 15 to measure or what not, have zero buzz and the lowest possible action you can get. So I am really unsure, I just go by feel here and have never measured but I would guess on an average I like the height maybe a credit cards width on the 7th fret while pressing down on 1st and 14th or 17th depending how many frets there are.

What do you guys like?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am
Registered Member

I setup my guitars without any measuring tools then measure what i'm at at the end for reference, 9 times out of 10 i'm at .009 inch neck relief at the 7th fret, 1st and 17th fret pressed down (be it 24.75 or 25.5 scale length) and I generally end up around .055 inch string height at the 12th fret.
That being said I don't mind a bit of "attack buzz" as long as it doesn't fret out and doesn't screw up the sound, I used to go buzz chasing, it's a never ending cycle, it really fucks you when get caught up in "buzz chasing".
So now I just set up with my ear and what feels right, disregard attack buzz for the most part, and those numbers are generally where I end up.

I have a "theory" that some manufacturers advise crazy high neck reliefs and string heights to justify not having to spend as much time on fret leveling... Used to watch all the youtube videos (official ones and amateur ones) then came to the realization that a setup can not be "measured in to place"

All that to say, that you should set it to what feels and sounds right to you and forget the rest, maybe measure just for reference to get it back to how it was when it needs setting up again, there's no real right answer when it comes to relief and string height

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 am
Hall of Fame Member

I like high action, When I bend a string I want the string above it to hit my finger at a certain spot so I set my action to that, which comes out pretty high. for bow, I like a forward bow I gues and I measure (measure with a business card) at the 7th fret while fretting 1 and 12.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 am
Hall of Fame Member

Mochi wrote:
I don't mind a bit of "attack buzz" as long as it doesn't fret out and doesn't screw up the sound, I used to go buzz chasing, it's a never ending cycle, it really fucks you when get caught up in "buzz chasing".

Interesting point. I am the same. I know I said I used to go for the no buzz, lowest action possible but I also do not mind some buzz. Usually it is never bad enough to hear when plugged in.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 am
GABmiral

I like as low as it will go but it is up to the instrument somewhat and sometimes that extra tweak going higher really opens up the acoustic volume and it starts to sing . I look for that sweet spot when setting up .

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am
Hall of Fame Member

I like my action pretty low... though not jussssst above the fret super shredtastic low... I can have an aggressive attack and fret buzz is annoying AF.. I tend to set my neck relief around 0.010 of an inch or so

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

I usually set the action a bit higher on my Strats and Teles, I think the notes ring out better, and like trey I want the string I'm bending into to slip over my fingertip that's bending the string(s) beneath it. They need to put up a fight and I like to feel like I'm getting a nice workout in. With my SG and LP, the action gets set pretty low, maybe because they look and feel "classier", maybe it's the scale length and how bends get to pitch quicker, or maybe the way the neck angles away from the body, I'm not sure.

TL/DR - I seem to like to fight my Flander types but I butter my Goobsons. :idk:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 am
Hall of Fame Member

.56-.13s for guits tuned to C. action generally has to get figgered via the bridge's capacity.. but pretty high to stave off rattles and meathook right hand. and intonated well..:D

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am
Hall of Fame Member

action high on the LP, low on the Charvel. Neck relief is the same on both if I recall, or at least very similar, need to allow for chords to be as in tune as possible when playing high on the neck and need at least a full step bend past the 17th fret. LP is tuned to Eb with 11's and the Charvel is 10s in E.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am
GABmiral

action is fuckle beast.

Everything depends on:
1. how low are the nut slots?
2. Are the nut slots radiused correctly?
3. is your bridge radiused correctly?
4. which way is the neck bowing?
5. how much is the neck bowing?
6. are the saddles the right height??

"setup" is usually an ever-evolving concept with any given guitar.

In general, if the guitar is fighting me, I need to:
1. lower the slots in the nut.
2. make sure the bridge is radiused correctly.
3. Raise the bridge.
4. tighten the truss rod.

This is probably due to using heavier strings than warmoth assumes I'm going to use.

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
As I have roundly -- and rightly -- been mocked for around here, I have in the past gone pretty nutz over setups. At the time, it was because I was obsessed with experimenting with different (heavier) string gauges and I was convinced that the lowest action mechanically achievable was the key to using heavier strings with ease of playability.

I have since backed off from that, and I've discovered that I can get better tone with lighter strings and (slightly!) higher action than I can with heavier strings and low-as-can-go action.

My default setup these days is 1/16" (4/64") string height at the 12th fret on the low E side and 3/64" on the high E, with just a slight bit of relief in the neck ~ enough to see the A string through the gap at the 7th fret when I hold the low E down at the 1st & 22nd frets. On my Mirage I set the Wilkinson tremolo (vintage style 6 screw) to float at 3/64" off the body. I'll then tweak by feel from those measurements to get the playability I like. Hybrid 9-46 gauges in standard tuning.

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

I use 10's tuned to Eb standard. I have a 10" radius fretboard. I like my action high enough so that I can bend a clean and clear whole step all the way up to the 22nd on the first through 3rd string. If I can get 1 1/2 steps out of it without it being too high then all the better. I also like the fretting and bending tension to be about the same from string to string so having saddles that adjust height is key for me. It's one of the reasons I just can't do floyds at the end of the day, even with saddle shims. It's also a reason why I'm still not committing to a Les Paul.

I've noticed that even if it's not overtly obvious that as a string is plucked and oscillating, and whether you just fret a note or bend a note, that the string is hitting frets. It's a give and take relationship but I've realized that I'd rather have my action medium to medium-high. It doesn't bother me much when I hear other dudes are playing on low action guitars but for me I can't handle the harsh/thin/metallic/plinkyness and it affects my mood while I'm playing. The best, biggest, clearest, and roundest tone happens when the string oscillates more freely.

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 am
Chief Executive Owl

I don't measure anything, I just set where it feels right to me... I don't like a lot of neck relief, my neck is as straight as I can get it to be without buzzing. For action, I use one of my picks (1.14mm) to set the low E action on the 12th fret. I place the pick on top of the fret and set the action where the low E is touching the pick but not pushing down on it. Then I go slightly lower on the treble side.

strings as 11-50 Boomers in E Standard. I bought a set of 11's by mistake a while ago and now I am just used to them.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I do it by feel. I like my action a bit on the high side, maybe medium high. I do a bit of slide almost ever show and need to accommodate that on all my axes except my Jackson. That one I keep more on the low side for all the 80's metal stuff.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I don't measure anything, I just set where it feels right to me... I don't like a lot of neck relief, my neck is as straight as I can get it to be without buzzing. For action, I use one of my picks (1.14mm) to set the low E action on the 12th fret. I place the pick on top of the fret and set the action where the low E is touching the pick but not pushing down on it. Then I go slightly lower on the treble side.

strings as 11-50 Boomers in E Standard. I bought a set of 11's by mistake a while ago and now I am just used to them.

if it's one thing, Gibsons are so much easier to set up than fenders.... once the neck was set at the right angle when it was being built and the but is cut right it's so easy to dial in.... I don't even bother with measurements... it's all by feel and ear... with the exception of setting neck relief...

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am
Chief Executive Owl

Marc G wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

if it's one thing, Gibsons are so much easier to set up than fenders.... once the neck was set at the right angle when it was being built and the but is cut right it's so easy to dial in.... I don't even bother with measurements... it's all by feel and ear... with the exception of setting neck relief...

yeah same goes for TOM bridges.... you just set the high and low Es where you want and the other strings fall in the right spot.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:

Pretty much exactly how I set the action on my own guitars Bill. I use the purple Tortex 1.14 and once I've adjusted neck relief etc. I lower the bridge so that I can put a pick between the 12th fret and the string, and it stays there. Then I slowly raise the bridge until the pick slips out. Done.

I like to have a bit of relief. Fretting the string (with a capo) at the first fret, and at the 17th fret or thereabouts, I like to have about 0.015" space between the 12th fret and string.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm
Hall of Fame Member

itchyfingers wrote:
I usually set the action a bit higher on my Strats and Teles, I think the notes ring out better, and like trey I want the string I'm bending into to slip over my fingertip that's bending the string(s) beneath it. They need to put up a fight and I like to feel like I'm getting a nice workout in. With my SG and LP, the action gets set pretty low, maybe because they look and feel "classier", maybe it's the scale length and how bends get to pitch quicker, or maybe the way the neck angles away from the body, I'm not sure.

TL/DR - I seem to like to fight my Flander types but I butter my Goobsons. :idk:

I tend to set things up like itchy, though my gibsons aren't super low either. Just think you get a deeper tone with a little higher action.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I watched a ton of videos by techs on yt and learned from them. Just did a set up on my custom 24 trem and agile LP today.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]