Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
SD3 question (paging Jer) or anyone that knows about SD3 
Hall of Fame Member

So I have been procrastinating because I want an e-kit to make things easier.

I finally started tinkering around. I must say just straight plugging in and playing with zero attempt of mixing or making it sound good are some of the best results I have ever had on my own. Using Thermonik Plugins and SD3.

Anyway I noticed a few things or a lack of...I went straight to the metal section with the grooves and noticed I only have like 3 options. Blast, Double kick and standard. The others are greyed out. Is this normal? I mean damn this program cost like $400.

So just a few questions:

Do I have to buy the other grooves?

If I buy a couple expansions to these unlock the grooves? Or is there something I am not doing right to unlock these?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 am
GABmiral

Maddnotez wrote:

I finally started tinkering around. I must say just straight plugging in and playing with zero attempt of mixing or making it sound good are some of the best results I have ever had on my own. Using Thermonik Plugins and SD3.

Anyway I noticed a few things or a lack of...I went straight to the metal section with the grooves and noticed I only have like 3 options. Blast, Double kick and standard. The others are greyed out. Is this normal? I mean damn this program cost like $400.

So just a few questions:

If I buy a couple expansions to these unlock the grooves? Or is there something I am not doing right to unlock these?

Hmmmm... I can check when I get home. Can you post a screen shot? Also, are you sure you downloaded all the libraries? Check Toontrack Product Manager. I am at work til 5pm PST but I will definitely look when I get home.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am
Hall of Fame Member

JerEvil wrote:
Maddnotez wrote:

So just a few questions:

Hmmmm... I can check when I get home. Can you post a screen shot? Also, are you sure you downloaded all the libraries? Check Toontrack Product Manager. I am at work til 5pm PST but I will definitely look when I get home.

Thanks and likewise, I will have to log on after work to post SS and double check. I did however download everything but I will double check.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

Here are the pics.

I'm looking at genre and play style.

Depending on what genre you choose a lot of the play styles are missing.

Going under those are the patterns. There arent nearly enough to make this program useful. I've also plugged in a perfect pattern in tap to find and get less then stellar results.

Is there an error? I've checked and installed any updates. Have all downloads installed.

I assume I have to buy expansions to get more patterns to choose from but I feel there should be way more patterns than what I have here.

Is there any way to maximize a piano roll and program everything by hand? Even Ez drummer 1 had that but I can't seem to get the roll big enough in sd3 to do it that way.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 am
GABmiral

Yeah so they only get be a certain amount of patterns per style for the initial purchase.

That’s how they sell midi packs which are absolutely worth it. Especially since you can adjust each pattern on the fly.

Also, as far as “Tap 2 Find” it’ll only find similar patterns to the ones you own.

It’s really the drum sounds you buy this for. Grab some of the Midi packs. You can sample them all for free. Check out my vid on how.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Anybody using this with PT2018?
I see a few people are saying it crashes but not sure how valid it is

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

JerEvil wrote:
Yeah so they only get be a certain amount of patterns per style for the initial purchase.

That’s how they sell midi packs which are absolutely worth it. Especially since you can adjust each pattern on the fly.

Also, as far as “Tap 2 Find” it’ll only find similar patterns to the ones you own.

It’s really the drum sounds you buy this for. Grab some of the Midi packs. You can sample them all for free. Check out my vid on how.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Ok thanks man, that's what I figured.

You say I can adjust on the fly though that is needed for sure.

I've barely done into this, need to watch videos and research but so far although it sounds way better, EZ drummer seemed easier for me to use regarding programming the piano roll.

I'll definitely check out some of the packs, probably the metal foundry first but I need to figured out how to maximize the piano roll to get 32nds in there so I can program on my own.

Eventually I'll get an Ekit but it may be a minute.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:44 am
Hall of Fame Member

Just to confirm, the SDX expansions are the drum kits + the midi grooves and the Midi packs are the same grooves minus the drum kits?

Need to figure out what is best, will probably start with an SDX expansion to get some more drums to choose from but the grooves are more important right now so I just want to be sure the SDX expansions would include all the same grooves as the midi groove pack.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 am
GABmiral

Maddnotez wrote:
Just to confirm, the SDX expansions are the drum kits + the midi grooves and the Midi packs are the same grooves minus the drum kits?

Need to figure out what is best, will probably start with an SDX expansion to get some more drums to choose from but the grooves are more important right now so I just want to be sure the SDX expansions would include all the same grooves as the midi groove pack.

Correct. Honestly, I bought my SDX’s when I had SD2. Well, I got Metal Machinery at the holidays for $49 but Progressive Foundry I got when using SD2. I probably would just buy MIDI packs now since the SD3 kits are so damn good.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 am
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome, thanks for all your help dude.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]