Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Thinking of getting a Helix LT..... 
Hall of Fame Member

I might do the occasional church gig as a bass player, but my guitar playing is largely restricted to playing along with my stereo and home recording, so a decent modeler seems logical.

I tried an AMPLIFIRE 12 when they first came out but never really warmed up to it. A few weeks beyond the trial period the Helix LT was released. :o I didn't care for the interface on the AMPLIFIRE and I still got better tones (much quicker with less fuss) by dropping an SM57 in front of my tube amps.

I didn't get to spend much time with it, but my first attempt to try a Helix in the store was positive. The interface is much better, it has more models and effects, and a lot of what I couldn't dial out of the AMPLIFIRE just wasn't an issue with the Helix. The full version is more than I'd want to pay and I'm not sure I need the scribble strips. I know I don't need all those extra input/outputs.

This isn't a complete conversion to digital, I'm keeping my Marshall 4x12 and JVM205 for whenever I want to scare the neighbors. Sometimes you just want to move some air. The Helix would be connected to my iMac and Rokit 8 monitors and would be primarily for home recording and playing late night (I work 3rd shift so I'm up at weird hours).

So, please pass the Kool Aid......or warn me that I'm making a horrible mistake.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 am
Hall of Fame Member

i want one so bad.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:18 am
GABmiral

If your first experience with it was positive (which was absolutely NOT the case for me); go for it. The hard part is over with if that's the case. It's a killer platform. You can dig in fairly deep and tweak or you can just skim the surface and just play. Bonus points for it will kill through your traditional rig.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
If your first experience with it was positive (which was absolutely NOT the case for me); go for it. The hard part is over with if that's the case. It's a killer platform. You can dig in fairly deep and tweak or you can just skim the surface and just play. Bonus points for it will kill through your traditional rig.

Another bonus point is that it has several bass amp models and I'm primarily a bass player. :cool:

I have tried other modelers throughout the years. Johnson Millennium, POD 2.0, Line 6 Flextone II, POD XTL, Atomic AMPLIFIRE 12. They seem to have improved dramatically in recent years.

Last edited by valtyr on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 am
GABmiral

valtyr wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

Another bonus point is that it has several bass amp models and I'm primarily a bass player. :cool:

That pretty much kicks it up to no-brainer status :whistle:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am
Hall of Fame Member

I owned the Floor shortly after it first came out and I was pretty "meh" about it and sold it after a few months. A few firmware updates later...I started hearing a lot about how it had become an entirely different animal. I took the plunge on an LT and have been completely happy with it since. FW version 2.54 has been incredible. The new effects, amp models, etc. hang with the rest of the pack.

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Faded Cherry
2016 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plaintop - Honeyburst
2018 Gibson Les Paul Signature Player Plus - Wine Red
2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic - Pelham Blue
2018 Gibson SG Standard - Ebony

Bass:
Fender P-Bass

Maps:
EVH 5150III EL34 50 Watt

Cabs:
Marshall 1960B (G12H-75s)

1010101:
Helix LT
Helix FX

Band/Tunes:
https://www.facebook.com/TonightWeRise303/
https://tonightwerise.bandcamp.com/

Good Peeps: dooredge, _ej_, Mike LX-R

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

esizer wrote:
I owned the Floor shortly after it first came out and I was pretty "meh" about it and sold it after a few months. A few firmware updates later...I started hearing a lot about how it had become an entirely different animal. I took the plunge on an LT and have been completely happy with it since. FW version 2.54 has been incredible. The new effects, amp models, etc. hang with the rest of the pack.

Good to know, I'm not sure what version of firmware they had for the model in the store.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

I just recorded an entire album with my LT. It's legit

FWIW, the virtual scribble strips are fine. I really don't miss real scribbles.

My metal band, Contrarian

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Lot's of Charvel's and Fender's

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:46 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:

I have heard conflicting reports.

I have heard it mentioned that the LT may have less DSP than the full version? Is there any truth to that? In many of the vids I have watched they say the engine and processing is the same.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:50 am
Hall of Fame Member

valtyr wrote:
atrox wrote:

I have heard it mentioned that the LT may have less DSP than the full version? Is there any truth to that? In many of the vids I have watched they say the engine and processing is the same.

No truth to that. they are identical except for scribble strips, I/O and metal they are made out of. The software and DSP is exactly the same on all units.

Helix Floor

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
valtyr wrote:
atrox wrote:

No truth to that. they are identical except for scribble strips, I/O and metal they are made out of. The software and DSP is exactly the same on all units.

Thanks. Sounds like I'm definitely fine with the LT version then.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

arent there a few less connections too?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

sleewell wrote:

I said I/O :P

Helix Floor

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

sleewell wrote:

Yeah, but in my case, the missing connections aren't the ones I'd need anyway (extra loop, S/PDIF, etc)

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am
Hall of Fame Member

I like the LT, very cool unit.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I tried one out at GC and its just as good as AxeFX IMO better.

If your thinking of getting one and have the cash to blow, its the best option into next gen moddeling AxeFx/Kemper territory, just better.

Tried the Gt1000, the Boss counterpart and as much as I like Boss shit, this was no contest. Helix LT hands down.

Im thinking of getting the HelixFX. To finish up the pedal board.

Tried one of those too and I never felt that modeling drive units were good, the amp models are great but the simulated drive pedals are always garbage. This one was just as good or better than my favriote OD pedals.

Great work

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I’ve got one, it ended my gas for amps. But I’m only playing at home and have a baby now so I might sell mine and get a small amp instead.

Reverse gas lol

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I got it. I have a Shotokan class tonight so I won’t get to try it out till I get home,

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm
GABmiral

Congrats. LT is awesome.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 pm
Hall of Fame Member

valtyr wrote:
I got it. I have a Shotokan class tonight so I won’t get to try it out till I get home,

Noice!

Helix Floor

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:17 am
GABmiral

I love my LT

The best part is that you can set it up for direct recording, playing along stereo, running as a bass rig, AND you can run it 4cm with your JVM.

Just set different banks of presets and it will do all of these things very well. That's how I run my LT. I don't care about scribble strips at all for my needs. I'm sure people make use of them, but I like the color coded rings so I can see what footswitch to press without having to read a scribble strip.

I also prefer the expression pedal on the LT to the full size. Both my bassist and my other guitarist in my last band had the full size and we all thought the LT's exp pedal felt better.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have to say... I'm coming around lol..... after using the HX Effects for the last month or two I'm sold.... I have no need for a full Helix just yet, but... when the day rolls around that it makes sense I won't hesitate to pull the trigger...

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 am
GABmiral

I go back and forth on it. I want one but doubt I have the patience to get what I want out of it. That said, all of those different amp sims are a great option.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for input!

So far I have only had the time to hook up my Firebird and check out the presets.

First impressions,
- notes decay much more naturally than the Atomic Amplifire.
- the interface seems relatively easy to navigate. It is way better than some of the synth gear I deal with.
- sounds fine through my Rokit 8 monitors.
- I have no use for most of these presets, but there was enough in there that I liked that I'm confident I'll be able to get what I want once I learn to edit existing presets or create my own.

When I get some more time, I'll hook up my Rickenbacker bass and check out the bass presets next. There appear to be a lot of videos out there so I don't think it will take long before I sort out how to make my own presets.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
I go back and forth on it. I want one but doubt I have the patience to get what I want out of it. That said, all of those different amp sims are a great option.

I'm here for you Pablo.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next