Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Mark III+ mod 
Hall of Fame Member

I just sent my Mark III off to Mesa Boogie. It's well overdue for some routine maintenance, caps, etc, but rather than do it locally, it's going out west for a full overhaul and a III+ upgrade from Mike B. I'm going to be honest, not sure why I'm even doing it as I've always loved the tone of the amp, but from what I've read, it seems like it would suit the tones I like from the amp. Anyone have any experience with the III+ mod?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am
GABmiral

I have thought about it. But I haven't done it yet to my 1989 green stripe. I should send it out to them for a run through. But, I love the way it sounds as is. So I doubt I will bother with the mod.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
Chief Executive Owl

some stripes benefit from it more than others... it makes a big difference on black/purple stripes... on the later ones (red/green/blue) it's more subtle...
if you like the way your amp sounds I'd say just do maintenance and leave it unmodded.

My personal favorite MkIII is the stock black stripe.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Based on what I've read on various forums and what the guys at Mesa told me over the phone, the III+ mod smooths out the lead tone, taming some of the high end fiz and brightens the clean channel a little. My Mark is red stripe and while it's fantastic, it can be a bit over aggressive, so smoothing out CH3 and taming some fiz is a good thing. I've talked to a few people who have done the mod and they swear by it. There is a III++ mod too, but that is just pushing the gain up on top of everything else and I don't see the need for that at all. Anyway, long story short, sticking with the plan and going for the III+ mod. I love the amp, but when recording solos, I do tend to favor my Diezel Herbert as the lead tone is so smooth on that thing. Figure Mike B isn't going to be doing this much longer, it's now or never. Dropped the amp off at UPS today, so it's on the way.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am
GABmiral

Def interested in how this turns out :snax:

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Squier strat
  • DSL100H, 1960AX, Mark III, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), '73 Fender Pro Reverb, POD HD500X (Church rig), JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, Crybaby, Small Clone, DL8, MXR108, Algal clone, Pharaoh (thanks Greg :bow:)

DIY

Help out MISTER NOBODY: https://www.gofundme.com/34f76sf4

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Got my Mark III back with the III+ mod. It surpassed every expectation I had. Yes, there is more gain, but it's so controllable. If you don't like or need the gain, dialing back is easy. The lead tone is just a bit less aggressive but more singing/smooth. I used to run the lead drive up around 7 most days, I like it around 4 or 5 now. I find the whole amp is a bit more articulate and defined, especially under gain. But what I found most impacted by the III+ mod was R2. The III+ mod includes the R2 volume mod, so balancing channel volumes is so much easier and it alone makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. But the gain on R2 really bumped up too, to the point that twice in one night I checked to make sure that I wasn't really on the lead channel as I couldn't believe how my noodling leads were sounding on R2. And dialing back volume 1 brought the gain under control easily on R2. R2 just seems thicker and punchier too me now. With volume 1 around 5, it's a beautiful, thick classic rock rhythm tone. Diming volume 1 brought the heavies, into territories I could only get with a boost before. I used to run volume 1 between 7 and 10, it sits comfortably around 5 now. R1 was mostly unaffected, though it did benefit from the overall bump in articulation I mentioned. Overall, my EQ and push/pull settings are mostly unchanged, minor tweaking only.

At the end of the day, it still sounds and acts like a Mark III post + mod. It's not a night and day difference and the overall character of the amp is the same. The III+ mod just made it a better version of itself. Shipping the amp to CA and back not included, the III+ mod cost me $200 (paid directly to Mike B) and after 4 days of playing it, it was money well spent to me.

TL;DR III+ mod cost me $200 and I love it.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

bad ass!

glad it turned out the way you wanted it! those guys are awesome at their job, they really are.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 am
Hall of Fame Member

newholland wrote:
bad ass!

glad it turned out the way you wanted it! those guys are awesome at their job, they really are.

Post mod, I find the input volume matters so much more. I'm thinking the trick you found with your Mark using volume 1 to control the sound is going to be something I'll be doing a lot more of.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 am
Hall of Fame Member

mincy wrote:
newholland wrote:
bad ass!

Post mod, I find the input volume matters so much more. I'm thinking the trick you found with your Mark using volume 1 to control the sound is going to be something I'll be doing a lot more of.

oh man! yeah-- i dunno if the iii works the same way, but dinkin' even more, i find for lower volumes pushing that backside makes SUCH a huge dif! lemme know how it works! i love that amp so much more now that i'm figuring it out.

consequently-- where's your presence live?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am
GABmiral

fuck this is not helping my GAS to send my IIC in for the + mod.

I damn near traded this amp this past weekend for a Bogner I've wanted for years, but the gab guys talked me out of that one. I think I'm ready for the + mod and just need to scrape together the $5-600 to have it done.

At least that's how much I understand the mod to cost. $200 to mod a III to + specs??

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dave wrote:

I damn near traded this amp this past weekend for a Bogner I've wanted for years, but the gab guys talked me out of that one. I think I'm ready for the + mod and just need to scrape together the $5-600 to have it done.

At least that's how much I understand the mod to cost. $200 to mod a III to + specs??

Yes, $200 for the + mod on a III. That's it. I had them do a general service on the amp (caps, pots, etc) and turns out my reverb tank was shot because the foam had disintegrated and stuck to the springs, so I needed a new tank too, but all told I was out $550 for everything, maintenance, mods, reverb, caps, shipping, etc.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:34 am
GABmiral

Dave wrote:

Dave - I'd do it, if nothing more than to get it "certified" by Mike B before he retires. That'd up the value tremendously.

I'm totally digging the IIC+ I have on loan right now. I need to get my III back to make sure, but I think the older one has everything I've wanted to hear from my III and more. It's less mid-rangy (honky, for lack of better description) sounding and has a killer "give" to it - especially with some volume applied.

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Squier strat
  • DSL100H, 1960AX, Mark III, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), '73 Fender Pro Reverb, POD HD500X (Church rig), JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, Crybaby, Small Clone, DL8, MXR108, Algal clone, Pharaoh (thanks Greg :bow:)

DIY

Help out MISTER NOBODY: https://www.gofundme.com/34f76sf4

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm
Chief Executive Owl

mincy wrote:
Got my Mark III back with the III+ mod. It surpassed every expectation I had. Yes, there is more gain, but it's so controllable. If you don't like or need the gain, dialing back is easy. The lead tone is just a bit less aggressive but more singing/smooth. I used to run the lead drive up around 7 most days, I like it around 4 or 5 now. I find the whole amp is a bit more articulate and defined, especially under gain. But what I found most impacted by the III+ mod was R2. The III+ mod includes the R2 volume mod, so balancing channel volumes is so much easier and it alone makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. But the gain on R2 really bumped up too, to the point that twice in one night I checked to make sure that I wasn't really on the lead channel as I couldn't believe how my noodling leads were sounding on R2. And dialing back volume 1 brought the gain under control easily on R2. R2 just seems thicker and punchier too me now. With volume 1 around 5, it's a beautiful, thick classic rock rhythm tone. Diming volume 1 brought the heavies, into territories I could only get with a boost before. I used to run volume 1 between 7 and 10, it sits comfortably around 5 now. R1 was mostly unaffected, though it did benefit from the overall bump in articulation I mentioned. Overall, my EQ and push/pull settings are mostly unchanged, minor tweaking only.

At the end of the day, it still sounds and acts like a Mark III post + mod. It's not a night and day difference and the overall character of the amp is the same. The III+ mod just made it a better version of itself. Shipping the amp to CA and back not included, the III+ mod cost me $200 (paid directly to Mike B) and after 4 days of playing it, it was money well spent to me.

TL;DR III+ mod cost me $200 and I love it.

Glad it worked out!! Although I can't help but wonder how much of this difference is the mod itself and how much it is just the overall check up, new caps etc.. if the amp was stock it's possible that some parts were just tired and in need of replacement.

But what really matters is the amp kicks ass now! :) Post some clips if you can. I'd love to hear the results.

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:

Glad it worked out!! Although I can't help but wonder how much of this difference is the mod itself and how much it is just the overall check up, new caps etc.. if the amp was stock it's possible that some parts were just tired and in need of replacement.

But what really matters is the amp kicks ass now! :) Post some clips if you can. I'd love to hear the results.

I thought that myself at first. It took me 3 or 4 days to kind of figure out what was from the general service and what was mod. :lol:

If I get a free night sometime soon, I'll try and get a few clips together.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 am
GABmiral

Dave wrote:

Man, you should do it if for no other reason than it will increase the value of your amp substantially (or so I've been led to believe)

Do it before ole boy retires and it's no longer a possibility

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:58 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dave wrote:

Don't do it. So when they stop offering the mod and when people ask if you got it done before they stopped, you can just
Say "nope"

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:18 am
Chief Executive Owl

EndTime wrote:
Dave wrote:

Don't do it. So when they stop offering the mod and when people ask if you got it done before they stopped, you can just
Say "nope"

:lol:

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]