Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Mark III+ mod 
Hall of Fame Member

I just sent my Mark III off to Mesa Boogie. It's well overdue for some routine maintenance, caps, etc, but rather than do it locally, it's going out west for a full overhaul and a III+ upgrade from Mike B. I'm going to be honest, not sure why I'm even doing it as I've always loved the tone of the amp, but from what I've read, it seems like it would suit the tones I like from the amp. Anyone have any experience with the III+ mod?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am
GABmiral

I have thought about it. But I haven't done it yet to my 1989 green stripe. I should send it out to them for a run through. But, I love the way it sounds as is. So I doubt I will bother with the mod.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:51 am
Chief Executive Owl

some stripes benefit from it more than others... it makes a big difference on black/purple stripes... on the later ones (red/green/blue) it's more subtle...
if you like the way your amp sounds I'd say just do maintenance and leave it unmodded.

My personal favorite MkIII is the stock black stripe.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, Marshall DSL100HR, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Based on what I've read on various forums and what the guys at Mesa told me over the phone, the III+ mod smooths out the lead tone, taming some of the high end fiz and brightens the clean channel a little. My Mark is red stripe and while it's fantastic, it can be a bit over aggressive, so smoothing out CH3 and taming some fiz is a good thing. I've talked to a few people who have done the mod and they swear by it. There is a III++ mod too, but that is just pushing the gain up on top of everything else and I don't see the need for that at all. Anyway, long story short, sticking with the plan and going for the III+ mod. I love the amp, but when recording solos, I do tend to favor my Diezel Herbert as the lead tone is so smooth on that thing. Figure Mike B isn't going to be doing this much longer, it's now or never. Dropped the amp off at UPS today, so it's on the way.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am
GABmiral

Def interested in how this turns out :snax:

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Squier strat
  • DSL100H, 1960AX, Mark III, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), '73 Fender Pro Reverb, POD HD500X (Church rig), JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, Crybaby, Small Clone, DL8, MXR108, Algal clone, Pharaoh (thanks Greg :bow:)

DIY

Help out MISTER NOBODY: https://www.gofundme.com/34f76sf4

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]