Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Deoxit and amp maintenance 
Hall of Fame Member

The Princeton Chorus pots are feeling stiff and a little scratchy. I'm thinking of opening it up and spraying Deoxit in them.

So I've seen several YouTube videos, some where they just give a little spritz and some where they really drench the pots. What's your preference?

Some people also spray other parts of the circuit board but I don't know if that's a good idea. I'm assuming I should at least hit all the jacks?

Is it worth changing the reverb tank? It sounds ok but not fabulous. Probably about 25 years old at this point.

Is there anything else that should be done in there while I have the amp open?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am
Hall of Fame Member

I just spray into the access hole. Just a little bit. Turn vigorously and repeat.

I wouldn’t change the Reverb tank unless it’s broken.

You may want to check for bulging caps while you’re in there.

Band
Undercliff Facebook
Undercliff Bandcamp

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

Diocide wrote:
I just spray into the access hole. Just a little bit. Turn vigorously and repeat.

thanks. I will leave the reverb tank alone then, go easy with the spraying, and check the caps.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm
GABmiral

I do not flood out pots , I have been told it can ruin some wipers in some old pots but have not experienced that but I still go easy .,also DeOxit cleans solder flux that and other debris can short a circuit if it's jumped between components as it's conductive iirc so spraying it off with that stuff is harmless if you are able to properly clean it and blow it out . I don't like to fix things that aren't broken so go easy and don't kill yourself whilst working on your amp .

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 pm
Hall of Fame Member

fretless wrote:
I do not flood out pots , I have been told it can ruin some wipers in some old pots but have not experienced that but I still go easy .,also DeOxit cleans solder flux that and other debris can short a circuit if it's jumped between components as it's conductive iirc so spraying it off with that stuff is harmless if you are able to properly clean it and blow it out . I don't like to fix things that aren't broken so go easy and don't kill yourself whilst working on your amp .

:lol: maybe I should just live with it. It's weird the pots are really stiff and seem to be getting more so.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Diocide wrote:

This is what I do for scratchy pots. about 10 years ago the dude from FJA mods said that you should turn the knobs every once in a while to help prevent building (i have not actual merit to prove this, but it seems logical that turning the knobs help keep them operational).

Other than that, I stick with compressed air for cleaning the other innards.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 pm
Registered Member

use no more than is necessary.
as for jacks, i use the pistol barrel brass scrubbers you can get from walmart or a gun store. spray a little deoxit on them and work them back and forth a few times.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm
GABmiral

mgraves wrote:
use no more than is necessary.
as for jacks, i use the pistol barrel brass scrubbers you can get from walmart or a gun store. spray a little deoxit on them and work them back and forth a few times.

Quarter inch jack, so did you use a .243 rifle brush?

My Album For Sale!

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

project done.

Interesting design in there. It says 1988. The board is nicely spaced out and very clean. Not too many components, probably why it sounds so good. Caps look like new.

The pots are smaller than I'm used to and had small access holes. It was hard to get much to go in without it splashing around. I tried being restrained and not much happened. Then I sprayed more and most of the pots loosened up a bit. Tiny specs of spray got pretty much everywhere.

Results are good. Crackles gone, pots easier to turn. The Volume knob has a wider sweep, takes longer to get super loud. I like it.

There was a tiny bit of hiss before, especially when chorus was engaged, that is gone now.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have researched this for many years and I have found what works best.

1) Safety first, unplug amp and get your goggles.

2) Lather generously and rub vigorously on chest. You want them hairs to glisten.

3) Twist until they are purple.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

JK but this stuff definitely works. TBH I would not spray on the board although I actually do not think it will hurt anything. I would not flood it out either haha.

I bought a used 5150 2x12 and it was scratchy AF. Like new again after a little bit.

I did get some in the white push button for the crunch or whatever it is and that actually got stuck temporarily so I would stay away from other things than the pots.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 am
Hall of Fame Member

:lol: I was almost done when I thought, "I should probably be wearing goggles for this." I was wearing glasses though.

I thought about spraying the jacks but Fretless' warning about ain't broke don't fix it held me back.

I was bummed when I realized how much splatter hit the board. Like tiny droplets that evaporated quickly. I don't think they did any harm other than cosmetic. :cry:

Putting the cap back on the deoxit I noticed it has three settings. :facepalm:

The worst part was getting the amp chassis back in the cabinet. There was metal shielding tape on either side that kept snagging and threatening to tear. Same problem I had when I opened the Champion 110, except this time I was dexterous enough not to make a giant mess out of it.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

Full sweep turning of the knobs can help. Hope that helps.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

Wayne wrote:

I was bummed when I realized how much splatter hit the board. Like tiny droplets that evaporated quickly. I don't think they did any harm other than cosmetic. :cry:

Pretty sure there is no way you can damage the board. IDK for sure but I remember reading about it a long time ago and I don't think you can do any harm.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Wayne wrote:

The worst part was getting the amp chassis back in the cabinet. There was metal shielding tape on either side that kept snagging and threatening to tear. Same problem I had when I opened the Champion 110, except this time I was dexterous enough not to make a giant mess out of it.

My Sunn Solarus has what looks like window screen stapled to the bottom, under the chassis.
I can pull the chassis, no problama but, it gets snagged on the screen going back in.
I put a piece of paper over the screen before sliding the chassis in. After the chassis is in, I pull the paper out.
Hope this help!

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Wayne wrote:

My Sunn Solarus has what looks like window screen stapled to the bottom, under the chassis.
I can pull the chassis, no problama but, it gets snagged on the screen going back in.
I put a piece of paper over the screen before sliding the chassis in. After the chassis is in, I pull the paper out.
Hope this help!

hmm that's a really good idea. Next time I will try it. :D

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]