Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Peavey is back in the USA guitar game 
Hall of Fame Member

I'll probably never play one, because none of the goddamn stores in my area will carry anything besides Gibson, Fender, and either ESP LTD's or Ibanezes.

Seriously, every cool thing that comes out, I NEVER see it at the GC/Ash near me, and there are no more mom and pop stores around either.

*Endorsements with Clayton guitar picks and accessories and 64-Audio.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 am
GABmiral

Dave wrote:
These and original MIA Parkers are my guilty pleasure guitars :o

Ain't no shame in that, mang. Both are fucking awesome.

I remember playing an old Fly Deluxe in the early 2000's and it was seriously the easiest-to-play guitar I've ever fucked with to this day.

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dave wrote:

Those were awesome, I had a Fly Classic. Too bad their USA production closed.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

I remember playing an old Fly Deluxe in the early 2000's and it was seriously the easiest-to-play guitar I've ever fucked with to this day.

Same with me. I owned a Purple Fly Deluxe in 1998-1999. I did let it go though, because my hand kept hitting the volume knob. I should have just taken the knob off.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am
Registered Member

Well at least they haven't done a bait and switch like they did with the invective !

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

The Anomaly wrote:
Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

Same with me. I owned a Purple Fly Deluxe in 1998-1999. I did let it go though, because my hand kept hitting the volume knob. I should have just taken the knob off.

I let mine go because they didn't have replacement parts for the "pre-refined" USA Parkers. Those guitars had a lot of weird parts in them and I had already done more than one repair on my Fly. They don't have the flat trem springs at all.

As far as the HPs go, I had an HP Custom. Nice guitar, it was kind of a hybrid PRS/Wolfgang design since they couldn't use the Wolfgang body shape at the time.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

valtyr wrote:
The Anomaly wrote:
Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

I let mine go because they didn't have replacement parts for the "pre-refined" USA Parkers. Those guitars had a lot of weird parts in them and I had already done more than one repair on my Fly. They don't have the flat trem springs at all.

As far as the HPs go, I had an HP Custom. Nice guitar, it was kind of a hybrid PRS/Wolfgang design since they couldn't use the Wolfgang body shape at the time.

Damn, that's a shame, because when I sold mine, I had an extra spring. I think I had a spring for .009 gauge strings, and one for .010 gauge strings. Is that how it went? I'm going from memory.

I know who I sold it to, I should see if he still has it, lol.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I had a first year Quilted Amber Peavey Wolfgang that I pre-ordered well before they were available and waited 9 months for. Great guitar, great birdseye maple neck, sounded great. I never should have gotten rid of that guitar. I just got GAS for something else and sold it. Yes, I was a dumbass...

GAS is a bitch ain't it? :lol:

Steve

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

sah5150 wrote:
I had a first year Quilted Amber Peavey Wolfgang that I pre-ordered well before they were available and waited 9 months for. Great guitar, great birdseye maple neck, sounded great. I never should have gotten rid of that guitar. I just got GAS for something else and sold it. Yes, I was a dumbass...

GAS is a bitch ain't it? :lol:

Steve

That’s exactly what I played. It looked so damn good!!

I was 16 at the time and the best part is it wasn’t just a rose colored glasses moment. Each time I play one they’re just as good as I remember but man that quilted amber is gorgeous.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

the ones I played were all really good, but all the EVH based shape models are fugly as sin.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ZEEGLER wrote:
trey85stang2 wrote:
Heath wrote:
I got to play one of the new hp2's in a guitar store a month or so back. Was beautiful and absolutely sounded great but weighed a metric ton! It was over 10lbs. The fit and finish were really good though and the case was good as well. Would have liked to have seen a real Floyd on it instead of the peavey branded one but overall it was a great guitar but the weight. My three wolfgang clones weigh in at under 7lbs so maybe I was just expecting something comparable weight wise. The hp2 was a full 2-3 lbs heavier than my les paul custom.

About 10-15 years ago I picked up a peavey destiny, I swear that thing was like putting a couple of cinder blocks around your neck.

I had a Destiny for a while. It wasn't the Custom model, just the regular model, but it wasn't heavy at all.

This one was the custom my son still has it, I should weigh it when I get a chance. interesting about the non custom being not heavy.

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am
GABmiral

trey85stang2 wrote:

I had a Destiny for a while. It wasn't the Custom model, just the regular model, but it wasn't heavy at all.

This one was the custom my son still has it, I should weigh it when I get a chance. interesting about the non custom being not heavy.

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030[/quote]

That's a fucking gorgeous guitar :love: always loved the headstock on those

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 am
GABmiral

Mochi wrote:
Well at least they haven't done a bait and switch like they did with the invective !

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO.

I really don't care though - what a fucking fantastic amp!!

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:58 am
clipless

Devin wrote:
Mochi wrote:

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO........

I don't know if I would call it shady - 'designed and engineered in the USA' pretty much obviously says 'not MADE in the USA' - if it was - they would have said that.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am
GABmiral

Why not say made in China like everything else? Shady. Especially considering the fact that there are countless NAMM videos where the Peavey reps specifically say that the amp will be made in the USA

I see they're also bringing back the Cirrus basses, but it looks like they aren't MIA anymore :(

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 am
clipless

yeah - I did some reading on this - they definitely were saying 'Made in the USA' in the beginning - and had 'Assembled in the USA' stickers on them early on also.

Now they seem to say that they are 'Made in China' - yes - that is some shady crap.
Seems like they even kept Misha in the dark about it.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
trey85stang2 wrote:

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030

That's a fucking gorgeous guitar :love: always loved the headstock on those[/quote]

I probably shouldnt tell you I scored it for $150, it was 15 years ago though.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:21 am
Registered Member

clipless bumper wrote:
Devin wrote:
Mochi wrote:

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO........

I don't know if I would call it shady - 'designed and engineered in the USA' pretty much obviously says 'not MADE in the USA' - if it was - they would have said that.

what happened was when they were presented at NAMM 17, they marketed em as being made in the US, out of the reps mouth on certain YT videos, on the product page at the time they put a made in USA (not assembled) logo with the US flag behind. I'm 100% certain of this, because when it was presented in 2017 a lot of youtube comments were saying thing like "made in china crap" and I was pointing them to videos where they mentioned them being made in the US and also to the product page with the made in US logo.

Saw Ola's review the other day, and F-me "made in china" on the back. :phair: :facepalm:

These are the phases they went through :

"designed and engineered in the USA" what I call first version when they had made in the US on the Peavey website : https://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_invect ... 0_head.htm

"designed and engineered in the USA" - assembled in the US : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -tube-head

"designed and engineered in the USA" - made in China : https://youtu.be/peLMJx0u48E?t=85

It pissed me off greatly because for 1 I was defending them, saying no this one isn't Chinese, so I was helping with their crappy marketing, and for 2 I wanted to get one and I won't now (well not new) just out of principle, and if they were truthful from the get go, I would have got one even though it's Chinese, because by today's crazy pricing standards 2000$ isn't bad considering the features (don't get me wrong it's not a good price for a MIC amp by any means, it's only ok when compared with the crazy prices we have now, but that's another debate)

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=192419

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

best neck ever. also, those pickups were so bright and clear, kind of like what you'd expect to come from pickups designed for cleans only, except under gain they had incredible harmonics . about the easiest pickups to get artificial harmonics out of. i've played one a handful of times, every time being in a store, and i always went into danzig's "her black wings" or that opening heavy riff in "how the gods kill" and over-did the harmonics.

:crap:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 am
GABmiral

Dude, right!?

Those pickups are amazing. The only other pickup I've had with insane harmonics like that is the Dimarzio FRED, but I like the Peavey Wolfgang pickups more overall

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2