Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
Peavey is back in the USA guitar game 
GABmiral

Just got a big Sweetwater catalog and was surprised as fuck to see the new USA made Peavey HP2.

Looks exactly like the old Peavey Wolfgangs, which are one of my favorite guitars EVER.

The Peavey link says this was debuted at Summer NAMM 2017 but I just found out about it yesterday :confused:

Anyway, fucking rad

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -tiger-eye

https://peavey.com/news/article.cfm/act ... rticle.cfm

Model range:

https://peavey.com/products/electric-gu ... m#series-1

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 am
Hall of Fame Member

oh my that first link has an amazing top, id dont even want to see it taken off :cop:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

Those look nice! I didn't really get along with the previous models neck shape. No doubt, these are stunning though.

Cole

Mesa Boogie Mark III Blue Stripe
Peters Halo/Hydra
Rivera Knucklehead 100, Knucklehead Tré, M100
Cabs
Hughes & Kettner CC412 (UK Greenbacks)
Rivera K412T (UK Vintage 30s)
Splawn 2x12 (Eminence CV-75)
Splawn 2x12 (Fane Medusa 100)
Splawn 2x12 (Fane Medusa 150)

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 am
GABmiral

To me the Peavey Wolfgangs neck was one of the best things about it. But the ABSOLUTE best thing were it's pickups. Goddamn they were amazing!! I hope these use the exact same pickups

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah they debuted these in small numbers last year and have been ramping up production. Price point isn't bad either. They're roughly $800-$1K less than the Fender USA EVH models. I've played a couple Peavey Wolfies that I dug, and my HP Special has pretty much the same neck and the same pickups as the new one.

Charvels, Fenders, Gibsons, Heritages, Epiphones and a Peavey
Metropoulos Metro-Plex
Egnater Seminar Boutikit 50 Watt Head
Avatar Vintage 2x12 w/ Creamback H75s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Marshall 1960A w/ Greenbacks
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 2x12 Combo
My Band's Music Page: https://www.reverbnation.com/zerobelowphoenix

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am
GABmiral

Yeah the HP Specials were fucking awesome

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

I got to play one of the new hp2's in a guitar store a month or so back. Was beautiful and absolutely sounded great but weighed a metric ton! It was over 10lbs. The fit and finish were really good though and the case was good as well. Would have liked to have seen a real Floyd on it instead of the peavey branded one but overall it was a great guitar but the weight. My three wolfgang clones weigh in at under 7lbs so maybe I was just expecting something comparable weight wise. The hp2 was a full 2-3 lbs heavier than my les paul custom.

Laney GH30r 1x12
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 am
Hall of Fame Member

Heath wrote:
I got to play one of the new hp2's in a guitar store a month or so back. Was beautiful and absolutely sounded great but weighed a metric ton! It was over 10lbs. The fit and finish were really good though and the case was good as well. Would have liked to have seen a real Floyd on it instead of the peavey branded one but overall it was a great guitar but the weight. My three wolfgang clones weigh in at under 7lbs so maybe I was just expecting something comparable weight wise. The hp2 was a full 2-3 lbs heavier than my les paul custom.

Damn! That is heavy! My HP Special isn't even close to that.

Metropoulos Metro-Plex

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 am
GABmiral

That's wild that it was so heavy - they're supposed to be basswood and maple just like the originals.

The originals had the Peavey branded floyd too and I always thought it was a superb trem - more like a Gotoh than an OFR

I gotta find one of these HP2s to check out :love:

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 am
Hall of Fame Member

greatmutah wrote:

I am hoping it was the exception not the rule. I would love to get one as the headstock doesn't bother me as much as the EVH crab fork design does.

Laney GH30r 1x12
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

Heath wrote:
greatmutah wrote:

I am hoping it was the exception not the rule. I would love to get one as the headstock doesn't bother me as much as the EVH crab fork design does.

Agreed. I also prefer the asymmetric profile on the Peavey with the flat radius versus the C shaped compound radius EVH.

Metropoulos Metro-Plex

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 am
Hall of Fame Member

greatmutah wrote:
Agreed. I also prefer the asymmetric profile on the Peavey with the flat radius versus the C shaped compound radius EVH.

Love the asymmetric profile as well. Don't mind the compound radius. Wonder how I would like a combination of the asymmetric shape and a compound radius neck. The "C" shape on my Xotic XSC-1 is pretty darn comfortable too though but I think that is due to the roasted maple neck and fretboard being rolled more so than the shape. Maybe it would be a good time to spec out a roasted flame maple neck with an asymmetrical carve, rolled edges and a compound radius... :heart:

Laney GH30r 1x12
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:42 am
GABmiral

y'all spend 2k + on a Peavey you need your brains checked :D :cop:

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:00 am
Chief Executive Owl

yeah the patent ran out on the original Wolfgang design so Peavey announced they would start making that body shape again. I am not sure how they are going to do against the EVH guitars though. The Peavey Custom Shop is actually really good but there's definitely the "spending $2k+ on a Peavey" stigma as seen above. :lol:

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, Marshall DSL100HR, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Registered Member

I had one of the original Peavey Wolfgangs back in 2003,found it at a pawnshop for $300 and it was perfect,it had the Birdseye Maple fretboard as well,but it was one that had the flat top,White with chrome hardware and Zebra humbuckers,I never knew what I really had until I sold it.That one in the picture is very nice.Wow !

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

Ramping up? It's next to impossible to find them in stock anywhere this whole time since the announcement last year.
Do not like the CEO there but love the Wolf axe. Want, but also angry at their no inventory for so long

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Just brought my old Wolfie out, after several years....Great guitar!!!!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Nice looking guitars for sure.

Would these guitars have a good resale value, or would you lose your A$$ if you bought a new one?

Just curious.

'72 Fender Tele Custom
'74 Fender Jazz Bass
'75 Fender Strat
'77 Gibson LP Deluxe
'78 Fender Tele
'79 Fender Strat
'80 Gibson Explorer
'80 Gibson LP Stnd.
'83 Gibson ES-335
'88 PRS Goldtop
'89 Gibson LP Standard
'99 Tom Anderson HDTC
'01 Gibson LP Jr.
'02 Gibson LP DC
'03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top
'09 PRS DGT 10 -Top
'83 Mesa MKIIC 60/100 Head
'84 Mesa MKIIC+ 60 watt
'84 Mesa MKIIC+ Simul-Class Bubinga/Wicker
'10 Mesa DR Roadster

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Heath wrote:

About 10-15 years ago I picked up a peavey destiny, I swear that thing was like putting a couple of cinder blocks around your neck.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Is there a connection between the Wolfgang and Musicmans model that looks similat but flat top.....

Have always wondered this?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm
GABmiral

The-kid wrote:
Is there a connection between the Wolfgang and Musicmans model that looks similat but flat top.....

Have always wondered this?

Ed was with EBMM right before he went to Peavey.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

trey85stang2 wrote:
Heath wrote:

About 10-15 years ago I picked up a peavey destiny, I swear that thing was like putting a couple of cinder blocks around your neck.

I had a Destiny for a while. It wasn't the Custom model, just the regular model, but it wasn't heavy at all.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 am
GABmiral

These and original MIA Parkers are my guilty pleasure guitars :o

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 am
Hall of Fame Member

Someone take a screenshot. Dave's admitting to liking a Peavey guitar!

In all seriousness, I get it. I never understood the appeal of the Wolfgangs because they were Peavey. I never had an issue of their amps, but their guitars to me never seemed anything to write home about. And then a buddy got one and I played it and fell in love with the neck and how it sounded. I had previously owned a Music Man Silhouette and the neck on the Wolfgang, while definitely a different profile, being oiled instead of lacquered, reminded me a little of that. So when I found a good price on my HP Special, being that the neck is damn near identical and so is most of the guitar minus the body shape, I grabbed it.

Texas, to your question, it's hard to say. Original 90s-early 2000s MIA Wolfgang Archtops and Specials (NOT the EXP Import Piles) seem to be holding their value more these days, with the new ones probably helping that a bit. Their new pricing isn't actually too far removed from where the HP Specials were when those came out. Now those vary. Solid color finishes seem to do worse than those with figured tops. I've seen them range between $800-$1300 on average. There's some outliers in the $1500+ range that show up but those are usually either A) rare finishes and/or B) custom shop models. For you, you might wanna do your pawnshop rounds and see if an old Wolfgang shows up. A lot of the time, shops like that don't even know what they have with these. Biggest indicator will be the neck and serial number. Import necks are poly coated and the serial number on the usa ones are stamped into the neck. Not printed. Also the korean ones will be flat tops with a thin quilt veneer and cheap hardware. There are some flat top USA Specials, but those will have either a solid finish or a flame top finish with faux binding (clear coat where the binding would be). Those look sharp. Heck that's how my Special Flat Top is and I love it. If you opt for one of the new ones and can get one and don't mind the wait, since I guess production still isn't quite there yet as far as numbers, you'll have a great guitar that should definitely hold its value for a bit. Especially given that it's still about a grand less than the USA EVH ones from Fender.

Metropoulos Metro-Plex

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:06 am
GABmiral

I played one at a Mom and pop shop back in the 90’s through an original 5150 combo and fell in love.

Played a bunch more over the years and the USA made Wolfgangs were amazing guitars. They’re always more than I’m willing to spend since I’m not a shred/lead player and don’t like tremolos but def appreciate the instruments!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am
Hall of Fame Member

I'll probably never play one, because none of the goddamn stores in my area will carry anything besides Gibson, Fender, and either ESP LTD's or Ibanezes.

Seriously, every cool thing that comes out, I NEVER see it at the GC/Ash near me, and there are no more mom and pop stores around either.

*Endorsements with Clayton guitar picks and accessories and 64-Audio.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 am
GABmiral

Dave wrote:

Ain't no shame in that, mang. Both are fucking awesome.

I remember playing an old Fly Deluxe in the early 2000's and it was seriously the easiest-to-play guitar I've ever fucked with to this day.

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dave wrote:

Those were awesome, I had a Fly Classic. Too bad their USA production closed.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

I remember playing an old Fly Deluxe in the early 2000's and it was seriously the easiest-to-play guitar I've ever fucked with to this day.

Same with me. I owned a Purple Fly Deluxe in 1998-1999. I did let it go though, because my hand kept hitting the volume knob. I should have just taken the knob off.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am
Registered Member

Well at least they haven't done a bait and switch like they did with the invective !

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

The Anomaly wrote:
Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

Same with me. I owned a Purple Fly Deluxe in 1998-1999. I did let it go though, because my hand kept hitting the volume knob. I should have just taken the knob off.

I let mine go because they didn't have replacement parts for the "pre-refined" USA Parkers. Those guitars had a lot of weird parts in them and I had already done more than one repair on my Fly. They don't have the flat trem springs at all.

As far as the HPs go, I had an HP Custom. Nice guitar, it was kind of a hybrid PRS/Wolfgang design since they couldn't use the Wolfgang body shape at the time.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

valtyr wrote:
The Anomaly wrote:
Devin wrote:
Dave wrote:

I let mine go because they didn't have replacement parts for the "pre-refined" USA Parkers. Those guitars had a lot of weird parts in them and I had already done more than one repair on my Fly. They don't have the flat trem springs at all.

As far as the HPs go, I had an HP Custom. Nice guitar, it was kind of a hybrid PRS/Wolfgang design since they couldn't use the Wolfgang body shape at the time.

Damn, that's a shame, because when I sold mine, I had an extra spring. I think I had a spring for .009 gauge strings, and one for .010 gauge strings. Is that how it went? I'm going from memory.

I know who I sold it to, I should see if he still has it, lol.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I had a first year Quilted Amber Peavey Wolfgang that I pre-ordered well before they were available and waited 9 months for. Great guitar, great birdseye maple neck, sounded great. I never should have gotten rid of that guitar. I just got GAS for something else and sold it. Yes, I was a dumbass...

GAS is a bitch ain't it? :lol:

Steve

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

sah5150 wrote:
I had a first year Quilted Amber Peavey Wolfgang that I pre-ordered well before they were available and waited 9 months for. Great guitar, great birdseye maple neck, sounded great. I never should have gotten rid of that guitar. I just got GAS for something else and sold it. Yes, I was a dumbass...

GAS is a bitch ain't it? :lol:

Steve

That’s exactly what I played. It looked so damn good!!

I was 16 at the time and the best part is it wasn’t just a rose colored glasses moment. Each time I play one they’re just as good as I remember but man that quilted amber is gorgeous.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

the ones I played were all really good, but all the EVH based shape models are fugly as sin.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ZEEGLER wrote:
trey85stang2 wrote:
Heath wrote:

I had a Destiny for a while. It wasn't the Custom model, just the regular model, but it wasn't heavy at all.

This one was the custom my son still has it, I should weigh it when I get a chance. interesting about the non custom being not heavy.

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am
GABmiral

trey85stang2 wrote:

This one was the custom my son still has it, I should weigh it when I get a chance. interesting about the non custom being not heavy.

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030[/quote]

That's a fucking gorgeous guitar :love: always loved the headstock on those

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 am
GABmiral

Mochi wrote:
Well at least they haven't done a bait and switch like they did with the invective !

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO.

I really don't care though - what a fucking fantastic amp!!

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:58 am
clipless

Devin wrote:
Mochi wrote:

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO........

I don't know if I would call it shady - 'designed and engineered in the USA' pretty much obviously says 'not MADE in the USA' - if it was - they would have said that.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am
GABmiral

Why not say made in China like everything else? Shady. Especially considering the fact that there are countless NAMM videos where the Peavey reps specifically say that the amp will be made in the USA

I see they're also bringing back the Cirrus basses, but it looks like they aren't MIA anymore :(

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 am
clipless

yeah - I did some reading on this - they definitely were saying 'Made in the USA' in the beginning - and had 'Assembled in the USA' stickers on them early on also.

Now they seem to say that they are 'Made in China' - yes - that is some shady crap.
Seems like they even kept Misha in the dark about it.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
trey85stang2 wrote:

edit: it is just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Destiny ... 3330853030

That's a fucking gorgeous guitar :love: always loved the headstock on those[/quote]

I probably shouldnt tell you I scored it for $150, it was 15 years ago though.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:21 am
Registered Member

clipless bumper wrote:
Devin wrote:
Mochi wrote:

Is the Invective not actually USA made? They say "designed and engineered in the USA" on the back panels. If they are built in China, that's some shady ass shit IMO........

I don't know if I would call it shady - 'designed and engineered in the USA' pretty much obviously says 'not MADE in the USA' - if it was - they would have said that.

what happened was when they were presented at NAMM 17, they marketed em as being made in the US, out of the reps mouth on certain YT videos, on the product page at the time they put a made in USA (not assembled) logo with the US flag behind. I'm 100% certain of this, because when it was presented in 2017 a lot of youtube comments were saying thing like "made in china crap" and I was pointing them to videos where they mentioned them being made in the US and also to the product page with the made in US logo.

Saw Ola's review the other day, and F-me "made in china" on the back. :phair: :facepalm:

These are the phases they went through :

"designed and engineered in the USA" what I call first version when they had made in the US on the Peavey website : https://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_invect ... 0_head.htm

"designed and engineered in the USA" - assembled in the US : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -tube-head

"designed and engineered in the USA" - made in China : https://youtu.be/peLMJx0u48E?t=85

It pissed me off greatly because for 1 I was defending them, saying no this one isn't Chinese, so I was helping with their crappy marketing, and for 2 I wanted to get one and I won't now (well not new) just out of principle, and if they were truthful from the get go, I would have got one even though it's Chinese, because by today's crazy pricing standards 2000$ isn't bad considering the features (don't get me wrong it's not a good price for a MIC amp by any means, it's only ok when compared with the crazy prices we have now, but that's another debate)

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=192419

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

best neck ever. also, those pickups were so bright and clear, kind of like what you'd expect to come from pickups designed for cleans only, except under gain they had incredible harmonics . about the easiest pickups to get artificial harmonics out of. i've played one a handful of times, every time being in a store, and i always went into danzig's "her black wings" or that opening heavy riff in "how the gods kill" and over-did the harmonics.

:crap:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 am
GABmiral

Dude, right!?

Those pickups are amazing. The only other pickup I've had with insane harmonics like that is the Dimarzio FRED, but I like the Peavey Wolfgang pickups more overall

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]