Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
I am not 100% happy with anything... 
GABmiral

sah5150 wrote:
This happens to everybody at one time or another. I'd just keep going with what I have unless there was something I REALLY had to have.

Steve

That's what I do for the most part as well. I keep plenty of amps, modelers, cabs, pedals and plugins around so I can switch to something else when a particular piece of gear or an entire rig isn't working for me.

Sometimes I just step away from it all and focus on a different hobby for a while. I don't enjoy obsessing over or flipping gear. I just come back to it later when I feel the need to.

:lol:

I like this.

Sidenote: That's like the most comfortable sweater I've ever owned, and I have no idea where it is.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Chief Executive Owl

yeah I agree... I think I am just under stress about the next gig, first time we play under the new band name and first time as a 3-piece and we have a booking agent coming to see the show since he's considering us for a gig I REALLY want to get, so I want everything to be perfect... and of course, that's the week my main amp goes down.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
GuitarBilly wrote:
yeah I agree... I think I am just under stress about the next gig, first time we play under the new band name and first time as a 3-piece and we have a booking agent coming to see the show since he's considering us for a gig I REALLY want to get, so I want everything to be perfect... and of course, that's the week my main amp goes down.

Mojo sent, Bill!

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

I will never forget you telling me that you were happiest with your tone when you had a Mark III before you had some that accident some years back.

Memberrrrrrr

Anyways...Hopefully you get your Amelia back soon.

http://valvequeen.com/

Good Deals: http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm
Chief Executive Owl

NinjaRaf wrote:
I will never forget you telling me that you were happiest with your tone when you had a Mark III before you had some that accident some years back.

Memberrrrrrr

yeah... I love the Mark III for sure. Maybe I will go in that direction again... It would be sweet to have one rackmounted with the G-Major.

Fuck, now that I think about it, that would be REALLY sweet. hmmm :hmm: :lol:

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

:lol:

*Endorsements with Clayton guitar picks and accessories and 64-Audio.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm
GABmiral

We would be properly led as a guitar nerd forum if you were happy and didn’t flip gear :lol:

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Make sure you are happy with speakers, pickups, tubes, effects pedals and cab first.

If so then:
1) What amp's tone have you been happiest that you owned? What did you not like about it?
2) What amp's tone have you been happiest with that you played some time somewhere?
3) What is the best tone you recall hearing at a concert, an ampfest, etc?
4) What recorded tone would you like to sound like?

“We're going to have a great relationship with Putin and Russia.” 4/16
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.” 7/16

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 pm
GABmiral

I'm usually not 100% happy with other peoples anythings

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

You need to stop selling them off to fund the next amp. You've been through a lot of similar voiced amps and then there's the DSL merry go round. :lol: Try to keep 3 or 4 that you like and have significant tone differences so you can switch back and forth when you get amp fatigue. Make the DSL your Marshall tone because that clearly is your go to Marshall.

Last edited by Riffraff on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 pm
GABmiral

GuitarBilly wrote:
NinjaRaf wrote:

Memberrrrrrr

yeah... I love the Mark III for sure. Maybe I will go in that direction again... It would be sweet to have one rackmounted with the G-Major.

Fuck, now that I think about it, that would be REALLY sweet. hmmm :hmm: :lol:

Yisss...I do eventually plan to rack my IVb and wire my noise gate, wireless, and tuner in there. I could do it all in a 4 space rack, I think. Nice thing, too, is the Mark IV has a little plug on the back...but I actually haven't even used it haha.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

You're burned out, that's all. You need a guitar/amp vacation. I stopped playing for 4 months, and it really put some things into perspective.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
The Anomaly wrote:
Yarbicus wrote:
You should sell everything and then just buy the exact the same gear again. Save yourself some time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think the Helix is a good idea. You seem like a simple guy Billy. Even I, who covers everything from Elvis to Current, only use 4 snapshots, and more importantly, what are you going to run it through? You will not get the tone and feeling of a 100w head and a 4x12, unless you run the Helix THROUGH a 100w head and 4x12, and if you had that, what would be the point of a Helix?

I think it's just a bad day, it happens.

yeah you're right about that and that's what ultimately keeps me from going to a high end device like that... I think at the end of the day it would end up being a $1000 reverb + delay.

If you can get over the "click to wah" it also does that...plus a tuner and MIDI controller.

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Faded Cherry
2016 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plaintop - Honeyburst
2018 Gibson Les Paul Signature Player Plus - Wine Red
2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic - Pelham Blue
2018 Gibson SG Standard - Ebony

Bass:
Fender P-Bass

Maps:
EVH 5150III EL34 50 Watt

Cabs:
Marshall 1960B (G12H-75s)

1010101:
Helix LT
Helix FX

Band/Tunes:
https://www.facebook.com/TonightWeRise303/
https://tonightwerise.bandcamp.com/

Good Peeps: dooredge, _ej_, Mike LX-R

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sierra Voodoo wrote:
Honestly, I think you should [...] return to the EVH EL34 and add a Helix LT being used in the 4CM method. This gives you everything you need.

+1

You had something working before. If it works don't fuck with it! Add the Helix and you also have some of the best clean tones you can imagine!

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
1999 Wolfgang Standard (Emerald Green)

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

man is this so familiar. been there so many times but with me that uneasy, unhappy feeling just keeps getting stronger and the last time this happened i sold all my stuff was a couple years back and i sold everything except my humble warhorse, a prs se that is pretty beat up, and a yamaha thr5... (and my somewhat-minimalist recording setup). it felt so good. have since bought a nice yamaha nylon and a shitty gretsch jim dandy acoustic... and that gretsch is pissing me off as we speak.

:crap:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
glpg80 wrote:
Sierra Voodoo wrote:
Honestly, I think you should [...] return to the EVH EL34 and add a Helix LT being used in the 4CM method. This gives you everything you need.

+1

You had something working before. If it works don't fuck with it! Add the Helix and you also have some of the best clean tones you can imagine!

+2 for going with something you *know* objectively will work and work well. That objective knowledge can get you through bad gear days when nothing "feels" right and keep you from doing anything stupid during such times. :thu:

Sasquatch wrote:
man is this so familiar. been there so many times but with me that uneasy, unhappy feeling just keeps getting stronger and the last time this happened i sold all my stuff was a couple years back and i sold everything except my humble warhorse, a prs se that is pretty beat up, and a yamaha thr5... (and my somewhat-minimalist recording setup). it felt so good. have since bought a nice yamaha nylon and a shitty gretsch jim dandy acoustic... and that gretsch is pissing me off as we speak.

Please tell me that your Gretsch can see your screen and that this is epic passive aggression. :D

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

esizer wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
The Anomaly wrote:
Yarbicus wrote:
You should sell everything and then just buy the exact the same gear again. Save yourself some time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think the Helix is a good idea. You seem like a simple guy Billy. Even I, who covers everything from Elvis to Current, only use 4 snapshots, and more importantly, what are you going to run it through? You will not get the tone and feeling of a 100w head and a 4x12, unless you run the Helix THROUGH a 100w head and 4x12, and if you had that, what would be the point of a Helix?

I think it's just a bad day, it happens.

yeah you're right about that and that's what ultimately keeps me from going to a high end device like that... I think at the end of the day it would end up being a $1000 reverb + delay.

If you can get over the "click to wah" it also does that...plus a tuner and MIDI controller.

You don't even need to "click to wah". Auto-engage ftw. Tuner is ok but not as stable feeling as I'd like.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

aaaahhhh GAS, thou are a heartless bitch. :heartbr:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

I go through this now and then as well. I guess if I didn't, I'd never try/buy new stuff.

That could be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on the bank account at the time.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 am
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like a rut.

Whenever nothing sounds good on guitar, I just switch focus to another instrument for awhile (I also play bass and synth). I find it usually only takes a few days and everything sounds fine when I return.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 am
Chief Executive Owl

valtyr wrote:
Sounds like a rut.

Whenever nothing sounds good on guitar, I just switch focus to another instrument for awhile (I also play bass and synth). I find it usually only takes a few days and everything sounds fine when I return.

yeah I can't really do that.. my band is pretty active on practices and gigs and we're in the middle of recording an album now so taking time off is not really an option. I've been recording the bass parts on the album and that's definitely fun.

Practice last night went well though so it's ok, it was probably just a bad day.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Man, I hate recording bass. I hate dealing with anything bass related, really LOL

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I just biased my DSL. It was super cold, at 67/side. Changed to 82/side. I'm not sure if it sounds any different but I feel better about it :D

Mine came from the factory really cold as well. Sitting at about 81 now and I noticed a difference.

There is always something about my tone that I am not happy with. Doesn't matter what I am playing through.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yarbicus wrote:

:lol: :lol:
thread/

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:10 pm
Chief Executive Owl

NinjaRaf wrote:
Man, I hate recording bass. I hate dealing with anything bass related, really LOL

I like it. I wouldn't want to do it full time but I like playing it from time to time, specially in the studio.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next