Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
NAD...and now for something completely different [update] 
Hall of Fame Member

Band practice the other night: Mesa is in the shop getting a tune-up, Fender is being used by a buddy, my old Supro sounds awesome but really isn't cutting it volume-wise and after being run pretty much wide open for a while craps out mid-practice. Couple that with the fact I haven't really been happy with my tone for a few months now and the obvious answer is to throw money at the problem and impulse-buy a new amp. So tomorrow I should be receiving an Orange Rocker 32. I know they're probably not up to everyone here's taste but I was super interested in these amps when they came out (and then forgot about them until just a couple weeks ago). It's got a bunch of cool features and is super different than anything I've owned or used (mostly Fender-style amps run through 12" speakers) in the past so I'm looking forward to a change of sound as well as the potential simplicity of this new amp.

It ain't using me
Cause when the power goes out
I got other means..."

Last edited by Beef on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Congrats and HNIncomingAD!!! :party:

Man, I came real close to buying an Orange, back in 2013, instead of my Hi-Tone.
Bet your going to love it!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Ajax! We’ll see, I’m looking forward to giving it a good work out over the next few weeks.

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:43 am
Hall of Fame Member

Your going to love it.

Its a pretty dark amp so look forward to that.teles go great with it. Pauls strats...it takes everything well.

Great preamp. Super heaevy dutu power sections.

Enjoy man.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome, thanks man. Yeah, I generally play tele's so :thu: .

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I'd love a rocker 32. Modern oranges appeal to me a lot. Good job man! Is it a 2x10?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks bud. Yeah it is a 2x10 which is one of the things that makes it interesting and different in regards to my gear as I’ve primarily been a 12” guy for my guitar-playing career.

Ugh well, according to UPS it’s been delivered. Just gotta wait for this work day to hurry up and end...

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 am
Hall of Fame Member

ARE YOU COMING DOWN WITH A COLD? GET HOME BEEF! :lol:

I bet that amp will be a sweet match with your Esquire! Congrats man!

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 am
Hall of Fame Member

Lol, I wish Itchy. Either way, I made it home in one piece and was able to get a good 45 min or so with it already. Hopefully get some time to jam a little more through it later tonight.

Initial impressions: First of all, It's light. Much lighter than my Mark III which my lazy ass appreciates. Compact too which is nice. It looks good, like new. I it bought used so I didn't have a choice between the classic orange or the black tolex and wound up with black. Part of me feels like if you have an Orange it needs to be orange but part of me also appreciates the somewhat less garish black. Anyway, build quality seems good, solid construction, pots, switches, etc.

Clean channel sounds real good, fairly neutral to my ears but nice and crisp sounding with the Esquire, definitely letting that classic tele snap come through but without any icepick. A little tighter than the Deluxe Reverb to my ears and not quite as bright, although still plenty bright enough (honestly, I was expecting it to be a little darker). My pedal board sounded damn good through it, fuzz, delay, flange, vibe, the whole megillah. I don't have any stereo effects at present so I wasn't able to make use of the stereo effects loop yet but hopefully at some point in the future. On Sunday I'll get to try it out with the band and see how it sits in the mix but solo in the basement it sounded pretty damn good. I can be a somewhat neurotic setting tweaker at times so I really think having a clean channel with just a single volume knob will be awesome.

Dirty channel sounds pretty versatile to me. Can definitely mirror the clean channel on some settings or thin out or fatten up as needed. Gain knob goes from real clean to a nice crunch to a pretty sweet fuzzy grind. Didn't sound boxy at all to my ears clean or at higher gain and didn't get any significant combo rattle at higher volumes.

All-in-all honeymoon phase is a go. We will definitely see how it holds up as I get to use it more with the band but for now I'm super happy with this purchase. And some pics...

boxed up:

recently opened:

and with the board (AIDS as fuck):

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Looks really classy, Beef. Love that wheat grillcloth / black tolex combination! :love:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:34 pm
Hall of Fame Member

This amp looks like a lot of fun. The stereo loop seems interesting too. HNAD!

Charvels, Fenders, Gibsons, Heritages, Epiphones and a Peavey
Metropoulos Metro-Plex
Egnater Seminar Boutikit 50 Watt Head
Avatar Vintage 2x12 w/ Creamback H75s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Marshall 1960A w/ Greenbacks
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 2x12 Combo
My Band's Music Page: https://www.reverbnation.com/zerobelowphoenix

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:39 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks bros. Yeah, GM the loop does seem really cool, I may need to invest in some stereo effects in the future to get the most out of this amp... :hmm:

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I think the black looks great with the tweed. Get some stereo in that loop!

:rawk:

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:32 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Yup, that tweed on black, with orange knobs looks fantastic!!! :fap:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

One more update. Finally got to use the Orange during band practice tonight and I'm still loving it. Really opened up the natural channel to right on the verge of breakup and then hit it with the fuzz when I needed dirtier sounds. I feel like the amp is paired perfectly with the Esquire. The rest of the band said they were digging it and that it sounded better than any of my other recent set ups. The Mesa always cut through (of course) but it was like a laser beam, the Orange still cut through the mix but it blended with the other guitarist and keyboard in a really good way. So, honeymoon continues but definitely going to be putting this guy through its paces in the coming weeks, looking forward to using it during some upcoming shows at the end of the month too.

It ain't using me
I got other means..."

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]