Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Stuck in a rut? 
Author Message
Online
Hall of Fame Member

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am
Posts: 194
Wtf do you do, all my riffs are starting to sound the same to me? I recently starting cutting out some of the repetitiveness im my riffing like pedallying on the low e or a and it seems to be helping.

What do you guys do?


Fri May 11, 2018 5:07 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm
Posts: 6872
Location: Long Island, NY
trey85stang2 wrote:
Wtf do you do, all my riffs are starting to sound the same to me? I recently starting cutting out some of the repetitiveness im my riffing like pedallying on the low e or a and it seems to be helping.

What do you guys do?

I like to pedally on my shimmel lapper with murkin slizzle. That helps.




Sorry. I'm bored.


Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 7634
Location: Sandy Eggo
Take lessons.
Learn something out of your comfort zone.
Transcribe a solo.
Take lessons.
Build a library of all the licks you know, then try not to play them.
Evaluate some jazz charts.
Take lessons.

_________________
ajaxlepinski wrote:
I feel like I did when I saw my first naked woman IRL!!! So pysched!!!!

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.


Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am
Profile
GABmiral

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 11267
Location: V-Amp McPro
I grab a guitar magazine with transcriptions and take chords/licks from them that look different than what I would usually play. Not necessarily band/songs I like either.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Online
GABmiral
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm
Posts: 13941
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Buy stuff.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 7634
Location: Sandy Eggo
JiveTurkey wrote:
Buy stuff.

/thread.

Nothing gets the creative juices flowing like a new Tele... :lol:

_________________
ajaxlepinski wrote:
I feel like I did when I saw my first naked woman IRL!!! So pysched!!!!

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am
Profile
Online
GABmiral
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm
Posts: 13941
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
itchyfingers wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
Buy stuff.

/thread.

Nothing gets the creative juices flowing like a new Tele... :lol:

Or a modeling accessory Image


Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 7634
Location: Sandy Eggo
JiveTurkey wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
Buy stuff.

/thread.

Nothing gets the creative juices flowing like a new Tele... :lol:

Or a modeling accessory Image

Oh I wasn't pointing any fingers, and if I was, more of them would be pointing back at me! :hi5:

_________________
ajaxlepinski wrote:
I feel like I did when I saw my first naked woman IRL!!! So pysched!!!!

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.


Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 am
Profile
Online
GABmiral
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm
Posts: 13941
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
itchyfingers wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
Buy stuff.

/thread.

Nothing gets the creative juices flowing like a new Tele... :lol:

Or a modeling accessory Image

Oh I wasn't pointing any fingers, and if I was, more of them would be pointing back at me! :hi5:

He's not in this thread so we're safe :whistle:


Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile
GABmiral
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 33082
Location: Sliding Hills, CA
Do you have a pretty good understanding of theory and harmony?

_________________
EBMM Stingray Tobacco and Tort
Marshall Jubilee
Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 with WGS ET90's
CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4



Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".


Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am
Posts: 194
RUBATO wrote:
Do you have a pretty good understanding of theory and harmony?



Not really, got any ideas on a good place to start?


Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm
Profile
GABmiral
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:35 pm
Posts: 15295
Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
I like to improvise to the radio. Especially, to unfamiliar music; it really helps improve my creativity and it's fun... and you can't rewind like, with YouTube... radio keeps you on your toes.

_________________
1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Winner Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● Incoming Ceriatone Model Tee
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.


Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 11:43 am
Posts: 577
Location: Clarksville TN
I would learn your major scale, understand it to its full potential (Learning scale degrees, chief qualitys, etc.) Then get into the modes of the major scale. Modes are always a good place to start

_________________
mamberg II


Sun May 13, 2018 6:25 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group