Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Tranistioning From Major To Minor Keys..... 
GABmiral

...... In the same key????

I am working on something in E Major and I want to transition it into E Minor a bit more than halfway through. The section where I think it should happen is a hybrid picked EM chord in the open position. It's about 6 bars long and I have been trying to drop the 3rd a half step. But I can't get my ears used to it.

Is there a better or more standard way to do this type of transistion?

Or is against all of Western Music to even attempt such a feat of understanding?

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

It happens all of the time. It's called changing to the parallel minor. Google "parallel minor transition" and you'll find lots of help.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:59 pm
GABmiral

Will do. Thanks.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:11 pm
GABmiral

Just jump in and do it unapologetically. Frets and I have a song that’s in Eb minor for the verses and Eb major for the chorus. Bam! Deal with it fgts!

GuitarBilly wrote:
..you're a full time Marshall guy now..

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 pm
GABmiral

Like this?

https://soundcloud.com/heezzies/emajor78bpmsd3-1

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like it works to me! Reminds me of pell mell or some 80s homestead jam!

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 pm
GABmiral

I’ll listen in a minute, but I just realized I kinda lied. :lol:

I’m not sure if our time goes from Eb minor to Eb major, but when it modulates in the chorus the Eb chord does change to a major chord. So it has a very similar type of change to what you’re saying you want to do.

Nonetheless, in my studies of music theory, harmony, and arranging I learned that changing the key of a song to and from minor and major on the same root is a common type of modulation, and considered one of the strongest, particularly because the V chord remains major (typically) in both minor and major keys.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm
GABmiral

So, you'd kind of "walk" the V chord/scale into a minor?

I suppose I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a meandering kind of way. Rather than doing it abruptly.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 pm
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
So, you'd kind of "walk" the V chord/scale into a minor?

I suppose I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a meandering kind of way. Rather than doing it abruptly.

Since the V chord in both Eminor and Emajor is Bmajor (typically) you have a common chord, and not only a common chord but the main chord to come back to home plate. So if you wanted to meander... you could hang on to the V chord for longer so that home plate is a little ambiguous to the listener, and when you bring it home to E you change the flavor. :thu:

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm
GABmiral

But that clip only has a root and IV.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:41 pm
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
But that clip only has a root and IV.

God dammit Pablo! What is your hate against the V chord? That fucking duel jam track didn’t have it either!! I had to dig deep to properly “.” that shit. Deep. :lol:

I think you’re good. I think the IV is also major in both major and minor diatonic keys.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:47 pm
GABmiral

It is a major chord in both types of keys with the same root. So hang on that IV as bait, and then switch. Should be a solid modulation.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:51 pm
GABmiral

How's the mix?

NOSMDMFPOFS.

:lol:

Seriously, on the last part with the solo, I am playing a Esus5 in the right speaker and a Esus9 in the left. I made them ambiguous on purpose. The fuzz solo is definitely in E minor. The part I want to really manipulate is right before the solo where I am hybrid picking on a open E major.

Also, every guitar part has the Sunface on it. Even the clean stuff.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm
GABmiral

I will listen soon and give you my analysis and likely seal of approval.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 pm
GABmiral

How's the mix now?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:57 pm
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
How's the mix now?

Needs a boost at 800fgz

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:01 pm
GABmiral

The mix is terrible. You should post a separate thread that focuses on solely the mix to summon the wisdom of all of GAB. And I say it should be a separate thread, maybe even two separate threads depending on the responses or lack thereof, so that it doesn’t convolute the issues. You need some help in that respect...

But as far as that modulation to minor, there was nothing wrong with it. I’d even recommend that towards the end, as you’re holding out that root note (the one with the continuous vibrato) that you even bring the rhythm guitars back to E major as a final resolution. It will work, and will complete the journey, letting the audience rest their heads on the comfy pillow of your original key.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm
GABmiral

Hmmmm....

Back to E major......

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:31 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Needs more sporadic meedley and second guessing.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm
GABmiral

Please pass me the bleach.....

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
Hmmmm....

Back to E major......

Like, imagine the song landing on a final chord and that final chord being E major, after having held out that vibratoing E. It will work, and will be... as we sophisticated types in the music inteligencia like to say... dropping the other shoe.

Bam. My work is done here.

PS, i can’t hear vocals. Bump those 10db. Drop bass 3-3.5db, but don’t forget to boost at 800fgz

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:56 pm
GABmiral

I figure most people don't want to hear the sound of my phlegm.

I chopped the low end out and bumped the mids. I finally caught a bass sound that I liked and got too happy about it. Also added a touch of top end and dipped that 2K bullshit.

If there is one VST that is teaching me the most, it's the 11 band EQ.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

try using a minor 4 chord. I know that's a thing if you're sticking with a major key, but it might work...

Mechanix>Four Horsemen :)

mamberg II

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 am
Hall of Fame Member

example: play each chord for two measures, Emaj, C#min, Cmaj, Amin one measure, Bmaj one measure.

this is an example of a chord progression that starts out in major goes to minor and then back to major in the resolution.

roman numeral analysis as follows: I, I, vi, vi, bVI, bVI, iv, V

someone stated earlier to play a V chord and just resolve to a minor "i" chord. i think that is a good idea. you can do a V7(b9) to add another tritone into the chord to create more tension for resolution to a minor "i" chord. that form of resolution is typical in jazz.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:31 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Needs Am or Bmj to transition to Em. Throw in a 5 and you're good.
:lol:
Practical application: Beck does this all the time, but you don't have a wang bar on your LPs, so.... :idk:
Oh epiphany! Try it on your Blade! :rawk:

MR RUBATO wrote:
TurboPablo wrote:
Hmmmm....

Back to E major......

Like, imagine the song landing on a final chord and that final chord being E major, after having held out that vibratoing E. It will work, and will be... as we sophisticated types in the music inteligencia like to say... dropping the other shoe.

Bam. My work is done here.

PS, i can’t hear vocals. Bump those 10db. Drop bass 3-3.5db, but don’t forget to boost at 800fgz
you must smoke copius. :lol:

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]