Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
MIND BLOWN!!!! Minor Pentatonic Patterns - WOW!!!! 
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
This video just blew my mind!!!!
Been playing this scale forever but, this makes all the patterns easier remember, figure out, play, find, etc. You can pretty much forget about memorizing the patterns.
I'm sure most of you already know this but, I'm just a hack punk and I just had an epiphany!!! :lol:
phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Saved for later.. :thu:

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm
GABmiral

Local guy that did an album with Steve Grimmet. He's got tonza lessons out there.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

interesting way to look at it... will have to give that a try and see how it works out...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:30 am
GABmiral

Thanks for posting!

The thing he mentions about the root always falling on the second 1-4 interval is something I never (at least consciously) noticed/thought about before - that is extremely helpful! :cool: :cool:

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 am
GABmiral

Hooked on pennanonnix.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:01 am
GABmiral

Warming up that duel hand.

GuitarBilly wrote:
..you're a full time Marshall guy now..

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:30 am
Hall of Fame Member

I love unlocking little epiphanies like that - congrats Brian! Have you looked into the C-A-G-E-D method yet? That one blew my mind too, lol. :rofl:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Dick Butter Nuts wrote:
Local guy that did an album with Steve Grimmet. He's got tonza lessons out there.
phpBB [video]

Ha! Small world! Definitely going to check out his other lessons. One day later and I'm still awe stricken. :lol:
Cool vid - real deal rockers!!!

Marc G wrote:
interesting way to look at it... will have to give that a try and see how it works out...

Amazing! I'm still bugging out.

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 am
GABmiral

Devin wrote:
Thanks for posting!
The thing he mentions about the root always falling on the second 1-4 interval is something I never (at least consciously) noticed/thought about before - that is extremely helpful! :cool: :cool:

That one thing, (the root always falling on the second 1-4 interval) is soooo helpful.
I've only spent about 10 minutes on the guitar trying this out but, I can see tons of potential.

Last edited by ajaxlepinski on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 am
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
Hooked on pennanonnix.

:lol: F n' A right!!! :thu:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 am
GABmiral

MR RUBATO wrote:
Warming up that duel hand.

Don't be tossing any white gloves in my directions! :eek:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am
GABmiral

itchyfingers wrote:
I love unlocking little epiphanies like that - congrats Brian! Have you looked into the C-A-G-E-D method yet? That one blew my mind too, lol. :rofl:

Cheers Itchy! :hi5:

C-A-G-E-D method? Not sure if serious... :lol: If so, can you post a vid?

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

Super srs, I'll see if I can find a good one, B. In the meantime, I'll try to explain...

Basically, you know how to make all of the cowboy chords in the first position - C, A, G, E, and D. But if you take that first position C, then make an "A shape" off the root on the 5th string 3rd fret, you get another C major, like a C power chord - I know you know this one, you old punk! Then, if you barre that 5th fret, and make a "G shape" (as if your index finger - barre is the nut, and the root is 3 frets down), it's another C major chord. By making an "E shape" while barring the 8th fret, you get a standard C major barre chord. Finally, if you barre that 10th fret and make a "D shape" that extends to the 13th fret (C root note on second string), you get the final C major chord.

Now, the G shape and the D shape are two that I would never play, they're a difficult position to get into quickly with the barre and having to stretch a few frets, but they inform me of the location of the correct notes in the C major arpeggio for that section of the board, or I can play abbreviated versions of those shapes.

If you're still with me, here's where it gets nuts - no matter which chord or shape you start with, if you just keep spelling out the shapes C-A-G-E-D, and repeat when you get to that D shape (G-E-D-C-A-G-E-D-C-A, for example) - it works for every scale / key!!! When you start to think about the relative minor for each major scale, shit opens up even further. To me it really unlocked the fretboard and showed me how the chord shapes are interrelated, and how patterns repeat themselves up and down the neck.

Bear in mind I'm thinking of all this without a guitar in the room, so now let me go find a video of someone who can explain it a bit better. :rofl:

jnurp wrote:

Last edited by itchyfingers on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 am
Hall of Fame Member

This guy has an English accent, so he sounds hella smart. And he repeats a few of the ideas I listed above. So by extension, I sound British. Or something like that... :lol:
phpBB [video]

jnurp wrote:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 am
GABmiral

itchyfingers wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

Super srs, I'll see if I can find a good one, B. In the meantime, I'll try to explain...

Basically, you know how to make all of the cowboy chords in the first position - C, A, G, E, and D. But if you take that first position C, then make an "A shape" off the root on the 5th string 3rd fret, you get another C major, like a C power chord - I know you know this one, you old punk! Then, if you barre that 5th fret, and make a "G shape" (as if your index finger - barre is the nut, and the root is 3 frets down), it's another C major chord. By making an "E shape" while barring the 8th fret, you get a standard C major barre chord. Finally, if you barre that 10th fret and make a "D shape" that extends to the 13th fret (C root note on second string), you get the final C major chord.

Now, the G shape and the D shape are two that I would never play, they're a difficult position to get into quickly with the barre and having to stretch a few frets, but they inform me of the location of the correct notes in the C major arpeggio for that section of the board, or I can play abbreviated versions of those shapes.

If you're still with me, here's where it gets nuts - no matter which chord or shape you start with, if you just keep spelling out the shapes C-A-G-E-D, and repeat when you get to that D shape (G-E-D-C-A-G-E-D-C-A, for example). It works for every scale / key!!! When you start to think about the relative minor for each major scale, shit opens up even further. To me it really unlocked the fretboard and showed me how the chord shapes are interrelated, and how patterns repeat themselves up and down the neck.

Bear in mind I'm thinking of all this without a guitar in the room, so now let me go find a video of someone who can explain it a bit better. :rofl:

Ha! Yup, I'm a bit slow so, a vid will help! :lol:
Thanks for the description, I will definitely grab a guitar and give that a try this weekend.... if I don't have a heart attack shoveling snow. :zomby:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am
Hall of Fame Member

I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm
GABmiral

itchyfingers wrote:
This guy has an English accent, so he sounds hella smart. And he repeats a few of the ideas I listed above. So by extension, I sound British. Or something like that... :lol:
phpBB [video]

Ah ha! Now I understand what itchy was saying! Thanks for posting!

At first, I thought he was from Scotland but, he wasn't hitting the brogue hard enough... Yorkshire; blend of England and Scotland. Still sounds smarter than a Yank! :lol:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm
Registered Member

Awesome.

Such a simple way of putting it.

!m!

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm
GABmiral

The_Theramist wrote:
Awesome.

Such a simple way of putting it.

!m!

Welcome to the fold brother! This is the best guitar/amp forum on the interwebznet! :welcome:

It is really amazing. Took about two weeks for it to sink in but, it's so much easier than memorizing boxes... which I never bothered to do. :D

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm
GABmiral

Since you first posted this vid I've taken it a step further. Tom Quayle has some videos where he talks about how he uses intervals to visualize the entire fretboard, so now I'm working on a combination of the CAGED method and Tom Quayle's interval method.

Really exciting stuff!

Sound quality isn't the best (room mic) but the info is worth it!!

Tom starts explaining things at around 1:45 in:

phpBB [video]

The other (entire) video is on Tom Quayles youtube channnel and is also a good watch.

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 am
Hall of Fame Member

marked for later

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:08 am
GABmiral

That Framus is stunning.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 am
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
That Framus is stunning.

Dude, right!?? That's an axe from the Idolmaker series - Stevie Salas designed it with Framus.

The actual Stevie Salas sig version and the Idolmaker 5'R are soooo badass....fucking want

This one is pretty slick, too!

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]