Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Kind of a theory question 
Hall of Fame Member

So I'm teaching my nephew to play guitar. He's 20 now, and getting quite good. We've been learning some solos together, and now we're getting into the "what" and "why" of the solos....which was all fine and good when it was the Jims, Gilmour, etc. But now, we're learning some other stuff.
I was flattered as hell when he asked me about one of my solos from my old band. So I showed him the notes- there's a weird part where I play some riffs that I copped from some tab somewhere that are slightly dissonant. I basically sat down and structured the solo to try and sound like Larry Carlton from "Kid Charlemagne". The result was a hack job (to my ears now) but it ended up being kinda cool. So my nephew asked me what mode it was, and I'm at a loss, as I don't know the names...honestly I dont even know notes on the fretboard besides the cowboy chords.
So, I'd like to be able to tell him at least that much, and maybe somebody here could point me in the direction of a modes learning tool (read: YouTube vid)

TLDR I believe the key is in E but I don't know modes.

Solo starts around 2:15 the weird part I made up starts around 2:30. You'll be able to tell. ;)

https://soundcloud.com/greg-noble-54670 ... y-mastered

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Anyone? :lol:

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:35 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

I hear all blues/pentatonic framework but you hang a little on some dissonant microtones through your bends.

Albert Ross wrote:
Mike won't play. He backs down every time this comes up... :idk:

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:40 am
Hall of Fame Member

M.Mike LX-R wrote:
I hear all blues/pentatonic framework but you hang a little on some dissonant microtones through your bends.

:thu:
Thanks bro. I'll tell him that.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

the only out of place part that i hear around the time you provided was a sharp half step bend on the tonic. which would be considered a minor 2nd or flat 2nd.
as far as labeling it, because of the context (after the bend you descend and play a minor third before ending on the tonic) because of that third, you could say that it is phrygian. if you had not played a third, phrygian or phrygian-dominant could be implied.

i think you could call that phrygian. phrygian is the same as a minor scale but with a flat 2nd note.

Could also just be considered a neighboring tone to the tonic. Which would probably be a better description of what your doing

http://musictheoryfundamentals.com/Musi ... /modes.php

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]