Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Noise in amp/pedalboard 
Registered Member

Oh, I need some help guys... super long time lurker here... some of you may remember I made Green Card avatars for folks who left HC to rig talk..... somehow I migrated here a few years back...

Any-hoo.... My Lonestar Special is making terrible noise when I'm plugging into it, but it seems like only when I am going through a neutrik style chrome solderless 1/4 jack (chassis mount jack with 1/4 females on both sides, I got them from The Pedalboard Shop) that is mounted to a pedal train board.

No noise when I go guitar to amp, or from the pedals to the amp. When I try to use the solderless jack as a coupler between two guitar cables, it seems there is little interference, but as soon as I hook it up to the board and pedals, there is the noise.

I have extras of this connector but same problem with 3 different jacks. I've also tried plugging into different amps, and different cables. It's also weird, because the noise seems to stop when I turn on the wah, Bubbletron, or fuzz... but the sound seems..."off"...

I've had the board hooked up for a while, and it just started after working fine for quite some time. I have Pedal Power supplies, and I'm not going over mAh anywhere. I've checked connections, looked to see if there is any metals touching in weird spots to cause ground problems... but...

oh... Forgot to mention, it picks up radio signals too... when the fuzz is turned on?

I am totally stumped where the sound is coming from... any ideas guys? Thanks much.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

edthecat wrote:
Oh, I need some help guys... super long time lurker here... some of you may remember I made Green Card avatars for folks who left HC to rig talk..... somehow I migrated here a few years back...

Any-hoo.... My Lonestar Special is making terrible noise when I'm plugging into it, but it seems like only when I am going through a neutrik style chrome solderless 1/4 jack (chassis mount jack with 1/4 females on both sides, I got them from The Pedalboard Shop) that is mounted to a pedal train board.

No noise when I go guitar to amp, or from the pedals to the amp. When I try to use the solderless jack as a coupler between two guitar cables, it seems there is little interference, but as soon as I hook it up to the board and pedals, there is the noise.

I have extras of this connector but same problem with 3 different jacks. I've also tried plugging into different amps, and different cables. It's also weird, because the noise seems to stop when I turn on the wah, Bubbletron, or fuzz... but the sound seems..."off"...

I've had the board hooked up for a while, and it just started after working fine for quite some time. I have Pedal Power supplies, and I'm not going over mAh anywhere. I've checked connections, looked to see if there is any metals touching in weird spots to cause ground problems... but...

oh... Forgot to mention, it picks up radio signals too... when the fuzz is turned on?

I am totally stumped where the sound is coming from... any ideas guys? Thanks much.
Well heck... off the bat, it sounds like the cables arent well made. If they were kinked & twisted pretty hard, that could also make shielding weak in areas. Thus pick up radio (RF). But things arent always as they seem.

Could be several things rather than just one. At risk of the obvious... If applicable, check your speaker cable & make sure youre not using instrument cable for it. Also, maybe try a different power supply to your pedals.. or cords there.

I realize you may have already tried these, but.. gotta be sure.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm
GABmiral

I had a hard time reading that. Run a highly methodical process of elimination and deduce. Test every pedal being the only thing in the chain. Guitar > pedal > amp

Go through all of them. Report back.

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Does the problem persist if you take the rig out of the house / jam space?

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

edthecat wrote:
because the noise seems to stop when I turn on the wah, Bubbletron, or fuzz... but the sound seems..."off"...

Unplug totally those pedals from the board one at a time.

I didn't say turn off, I said unplug.

Plug them back in one at a time.

Good luck!

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
I had a hard time reading that. Run a highly methodical process of elimination and deduce. Test every pedal being the only thing in the chain. Guitar > pedal > amp

Go through all of them. Report back.

This is exactly what I would do.

But I also agree with whomever questioned the cables.

T

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 am
GABmiral

I'd suspect any solderless cables you might have between any pedals. My pedalboard randomly crapped out on me at the studio last Sunday and I know for sure it's one of my lil solderless jumper cables.

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 am
Registered Member

long standing member wrote:
edthecat wrote:
because the noise seems to stop when I turn on the wah, Bubbletron, or fuzz... but the sound seems..."off"...

Good luck!

I've not tried this, but I'm open for anything. Will do and then report back. FYI I am using George L cables.

I DID start off going from guitar to amp, then adding the wah, then the whammy (whammy IS using it's own power supply not from the pedal power), then the tuner.. etc etc... everything dead silent until I then tried going through that chassis jack.

It's boggling because it worked fine in my studio for quite some time (and considering I switch up pedals quite frequently)... I took it to a friends, and no problems. When I got back to mine is when the noise started.. AND it's with trying different chassis jacks.

Thanks for any help and ideas, it's much appreciated.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Ed, if you didn’t have issues in the studio or your friends place, but you do when you bring the rig back to your house (I assume), I’m guessing it’s a location dependent issue (power) rather than a rig dependent issue.

If Mike’s recc doesn’t work, you might wanna test the power coming from your outlets or consider a power conditioner / regulator.

One of the places I play only puts out about 112V instead of 120. My rig sounds noticeable different there and my digital pedals put out a ton of noise.

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:57 am
Chief Executive Owl

edthecat wrote:
edthecat wrote:

Good luck!

I've not tried this, but I'm open for anything. Will do and then report back. FYI I am using George L cables.

I DID start off going from guitar to amp, then adding the wah, then the whammy (whammy IS using it's own power supply not from the pedal power), then the tuner.. etc etc... everything dead silent until I then tried going through that chassis jack.

It's boggling because it worked fine in my studio for quite some time (and considering I switch up pedals quite frequently)... I took it to a friends, and no problems. When I got back to mine is when the noise started.. AND it's with trying different chassis jacks.

This to me, points out to a problem in your house/studio wiring. If you have an outlet tester, check the outlets for open grounds. Try using the rig on a different room and see if the problem stops.

Troubleshooting the rig as suggested above is also a good idea, but if the rig is fine in other rooms/venues, that's almost always an electrical issue in your room.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Registered Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
edthecat wrote:
edthecat wrote:

Good luck!

This to me, points out to a problem in your house/studio wiring. If you have an outlet tester, check the outlets for open grounds. Try using the rig on a different room and see if the problem stops.

Troubleshooting the rig as suggested above is also a good idea, but if the rig is fine in other rooms/venues, that's almost always an electrical issue in your room.

I do indeed have an outlet tester, and that makes sense, I will try this out and report back.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Registered Member

Ok. Checked the wiring with a tester, everything checks out there.

I unplugged everything and tested all the sockets, and the power supplies.

Once I hooked it all back up, the problem seemed to go completely away... :confused:

I would seem it's a power issue... but not sure where. Might be time to replace the outlets and/or the power strips.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, it's all very appreciated.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]