Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] 
Here's a little story I got to tell ~Custom Gear Content~ 
Hall of Fame Member

So a little over a year ago on a day much like today, I posted an impulsive thread on a musician's forum, much like this one. In this thread, I challenged a fellow forumite, MISTER NOBODY, not expecting anything to really come of it, to a gear building challenge.

I said to him, "I'll build you an amp if you build me a guitar. And neither of us will know what the other is building until we receive it and open the box". To my surprise, he accepted this challenge and we agreed on a couple of basic terms and we each started building!

The building process seemed to go on forever. We posted about it alomst every day, teasing one another with vague tidbits about what we were concockting for the other. It was much fun, and other forumites took part in the anticipation as well. I do admit sometimes I wondered if I would just be sending off a nice custom amp to some stranger somewhere that never had any intention of sending his part of the deal, but worry proved to be completely unnecessary.

The fine day came where we both agreed to ship on that day. We exchanged tracking numbers and waited. ... an absolutely blind trade, amongst a couple of random internet strangers, joined only by a thin piece of internet media.

Here's what I had sent him.. which is a copy of a Supro Thunderbolt circuit, made with NOS 6L6's and transformers from a '67 Bandmaster.

Image\

And here's what I received from the MISTER NOBODY:

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Very nice on both of them man, very nice indeed.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:16 pm
Hall of Fame Member

That's a very cool idea.

Good deals: Guitar Billy, Crunchtime, Draco Aron, Holy War, Crank, Yo Squig, Moops, Elemenope, Edge of Darkness, Abstract, Chris JD, Ricky Rockhardo, Norton 666, Freehandarson, Dolf, Van_Muddlestein, Yarbicus, Schweezly, Nateispro, Conky, MikeO, Whiskey Face, Broslinger, Mamberg, Ajaxlepenski, Ovid 9, SAH5150, Axe, Greatmutah, Rubyguitargod, Hardvalve, JerEvil, Jive Turkey

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Dude.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:35 pm
GABmiral

The guitar looks great, the amp looks too good. If the guitar sounds/plays great, then the deal is good. Both items have mojo. Very cool idea.

My Album For Sale!

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Please tell me the hello kitty strap is getting rocked on the reg

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:58 pm
Dead Man Walking

Mike LX-R wrote:

The Hello Kitty strap was part of the "case candy" :D

clips here: https://soundcloud.com/paulslagle

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Mike LX-R wrote:

It's the only strap I use :heart: :heart:

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:10 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome gear and real cool story. I love my parts-Esquire (and I should probably play my Thunderbolt more). What kind of pickup is in the guitar?

It ain't using me
Cause when the power goes out
I got other means..."

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm
Dead Man Walking

About the guitar:

This not a "parts guitar". Everything was made and fitted by hand.

It is a two piece (center seam) alder body, maple neck/rosewood fingerboard, with Kluson tuners, Dunlop 6105 frets,and an Earvana nut. The bridge is ferrous material (cause it sounds better) and has compensated brass saddles, and the pickguard is three layer (white/black/white) made from, well, plastic. The pickup was custom wound by my good friend Rob Timmons at Arcane Pickups, and is basically a '51 Broadcaster pickup with a twist. The twist is that is slightly overwound at 7.3k, and it has Alinico V magnets on the E, A, and D strings, and Alinico III magnets on the G, B, and E strings. The concept is that the low strings will be focused and have a bit of twang, yet still be full (because of the over winding), and the high strings will be sweeter because of the softer magnets. The switching is standard Esquire except I put a .47 cap on the tone pot so it would roll off a lot and get pretty dark, and rather than the customary .5 or .47 cap on the fixed tone (position 3), I put a .22 cap so the guitar wouldn't be so dark in the fixed tone position. I did add a little something special to the guitar though...

Besides the dirty filthy stuff I wrote on the guitar (you know this had to be done) then painted over, not to mention the stuff that bled through the paint in the cavities, I added a two function circuit to the instrument that is activated by push/pull switches on the pots and has LEDs on the control plate that indicate when one or the other, or both circuits are active. What this circuit does is...

Absolutely nothing! That's right nothing. It's a "producer circuit". I put a 9v battery under the pickguard and wired it to the switches and LEDs only, the switches only turn the LEDs on and off, and I didn't say a word about it. Mort and his buddy went on for a week or more about the different sounds they were getting out of the instrument and how cool it was, all the while the LED/switching circuit was totally and completely discrete. I sat back and laughed my ass off along with the other guys on the forum that I told about it via PM :D

I finally let the cat out of the bag about a week or so later, and we had a laugh, but Morts buddy still proclaimed up and down that he could hear a difference.

Last edited by MISTER NOBODY™ on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:41 pm
Hall of Fame Member

MISTER NOBODY™ wrote:
About the guitar:

This not a "Parts guitar". Everything was made and fitted by hand.

It is an alder body, maple neck/rosewood fingerboard, with Kluson tuners, Dunlop 6105 frets,and an earvana nut. The bridge is ferrous material (cause it sounds better) and has compensated brass saddles, and the pickguard is three layer (white/black/white) made from, well, plastic. The pickup was custom wound by my good friend Rob Timmons at Arcane Pickups, and is basically a '51 Broadcaster pickup with a twist. The twist is that is slightly overwound at 7.3k, and it has Alinico V magnets on the E, A, and D strings, and Alinico III magnets on the G, B, and E strings. The concept is that the low strings will be focused and have a bit of twang, yet still be full (because of the over winding), and the high strings will be sweeter because of the softer magnets. The switching is standard Esquire except I put a .47 cap on the tone pot so it would roll off a lot and get pretty dark, and rather than the customary .5 or .47 cap on the fixed tone (position 3), I put a .22 cap so the guitar wouldn't be so dark in the fixed tone position. I did add a little something special to the guitar though...

Besides the dirty filthy stuff I wrote on the guitar (you know this had to be done) then painted over, not to mention the stuff that bled through the paint in the cavities, I added a two function circuit to the instrument that is activated by push/pull switches on the pots and has LEDs on the control plate that indicate when one or the other, or both circuits are active. What this circuit does is...

Absolutely nothing! That's right nothing. It's a "producer circuit". I put a 9v battery under the pickguard and wired it to the switches and LEDs only, the switches only turn the LEDs on and off, and I didn't say a word about it. Mort and his buddy went on for a week or more about the different sounds they were getting out of the instrument and how cool it was, all the while the LED/switching circuit was totally and completely discrete. I sat back and laughed my ass off along with the other guys on the forum that I told about it via PM :D

I finally let the cat out of the bag about a week or so later, and we had a laugh, but Morts buddy still proclaimed up and down that he could hear a difference.

Did not mean to imply it was, just stating mine is. Looks like you did a great job with it. :thu:

It ain't using me
Cause when the power goes out
I got other means..."

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ahhh good times :)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 pm
Dead Man Walking

Beef wrote:
MISTER NOBODY™ wrote:
About the guitar:

This not a "Parts guitar". Everything was made and fitted by hand.

It is an alder body, maple neck/rosewood fingerboard, with Kluson tuners, Dunlop 6105 frets,and an earvana nut. The bridge is ferrous material (cause it sounds better) and has compensated brass saddles, and the pickguard is three layer (white/black/white) made from, well, plastic. The pickup was custom wound by my good friend Rob Timmons at Arcane Pickups, and is basically a '51 Broadcaster pickup with a twist. The twist is that is slightly overwound at 7.3k, and it has Alinico V magnets on the E, A, and D strings, and Alinico III magnets on the G, B, and E strings. The concept is that the low strings will be focused and have a bit of twang, yet still be full (because of the over winding), and the high strings will be sweeter because of the softer magnets. The switching is standard Esquire except I put a .47 cap on the tone pot so it would roll off a lot and get pretty dark, and rather than the customary .5 or .47 cap on the fixed tone (position 3), I put a .22 cap so the guitar wouldn't be so dark in the fixed tone position. I did add a little something special to the guitar though...

Did not mean to imply it was, just stating mine is. Looks like you did a great job with it. :thu:

I didn't take it that way. I was just being specific as there are a lot of parts-o-casters out there.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 pm
Dead Man Walking

mortatone wrote:
ahhh good times :)

You were a dope for a whole week. :D

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Great story!

I want to play and hear them both!

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm
Dead Man Walking

Bonano wrote:
Great story!

I want to play and hear them both!

You will have to be in California and Florida simultaneously :)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 pm
GABmiral

Wow what a cool story :)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:55 pm
Hall of Fame Member

super cool-- i love both! and i love the story about the producer circuit :D that was mean spirited, but i love it anyhow..

congrats to both of you-- i think you both pitched a ton o' good into the collective experience of humanity right there and walked with the goods!

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

This is really awesome and is love to do something like this! What a cool thing!

Clips and Songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/thehumanconspiracy

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:55 am
Dead Man Walking

newholland wrote:
super cool-- i love both! and i love the story about the producer circuit :D that was mean spirited, but i love it anyhow..

congrats to both of you-- i think you both pitched a ton o' good into the collective experience of humanity right there and walked with the goods!

Yeah, I suppose the producer circuit was an itsy bitsy tiny bit mean, but from the very first first "I know what I'll do!!!" moment, it was always meant to be funny and I knew Mort could take it. And hey, he did the same thing do me. He wired the volume pot backwards, so the further clockwise you turn it, the softer the amp gets till the knob is fully up, and the amp is fully, well, not up. He called it a STFU knob. The more you turn the amp up the more you STFU. :D...

...then he painted the damn thing pink (not that I mind in the least), but hey, I painted his guitar pink so...

Mort proved himself to be trustworthy even before he threw down the gauntlet, so it didn't take but a short time before I agreed to the challenge. I think the whole thing went down really well and both of us are happy with what we built for each other. That amp sounds f-ing great and I love it, and the Esquire came out really good. Great sounding and a very very good player. It was one I would have kept for myself, producer switches and all.

Mort and I have continued to stay in touch, harassing each other by phone and text because we live on opposite coasts, but it's been good. I've made a good connection, and I have his address so I can go to his house and steal his lawn mower.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome story! I love that you guys both painted the gear pink! :thu:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 am
GABmiral

Great story!

Inspired me to do the same so....

Someone make me a semi hollow body guitar and i will refinance your car and save you money off your monthly payment.... that's how this works right? Trade what you're good at? :lol:

1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2016 Gibson The Element AL13 1958 Standard Historic Les Paul
2016 Leo Lospenatto TV-Star Mötor Custom
2015 Ronin Songbird Custom
2015 Maton MS500 50th Anniversary Edition
2014 Rickenbacker 4003 Jet Glo
1975 Hiwatt DR103
1974 Hiwatt cab SE4122 W/ Fane speakers
2015 Verellen Skyhammer amp
2015 Verellen 4x12 cab w/ WGS Vet 30 speakers
2016 Benson Monarch
2016 Benson Rotary Cab
25 delays

"wouldn't play a Laney if you paid me"

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am
GABmiral

This is coolest thing I have read in a minute. I would happily rock both that amp and guitar. And damn if that Esquire doesn't look SEXCELLENT. :love:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 am
Hall of Fame Member

Telephant wrote:
This is coolest thing I have read in a minute. I would happily rock both that amp and guitar. And damn if that Esquire doesn't look SEXCELLENT. :love:

I gotta tell ya, it took some balls on both of our parts to pull it off. I was and am elated about how it all took place :cool:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I want to see a picture of the bad words before the guitar was painted.

This is unbelievably cool. I would love an Esquire, especially with the trad 5 screw guard. It's beautiful.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:30 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Producer circuit is an awesome dig. Harmless prank for a great story. Great works produced by both parties. Kind of people we need on GAB :thu:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:35 pm
GABmiral

what a rad story. one/both of these items' owners needs to get crazy famous in the guitar community so that the story becomes legend

ovid9 wrote:
But, having three cats, I don't want to hurt their ears.

sleewell wrote:
goop forever, thug life till I die bitch.

Dave Lister wrote:
Ya'll motherfuckers don't need any or more better gear, ya'll need better ideas.

Good Deals: TU BE, Steveijobzz, MikeO, Pamuk Party, Heath

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm
GABmiral

So killer.

That Tele is sweet.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 pm
Dead Man Walking

SuperFlyinMonke wrote:

This is unbelievably cool. I would love an Esquire, especially with the trad 5 screw guard. It's beautiful.

Here is what I took pics of. The rest of the evil is under the finish on the body in pencil so it wouldn't bleed through. I even printed out the pics I took along the way, and made a cute little 4" x 6" photo album and sent it with the guitar just for grins. Mort made an un-boxing video too. I'd say it's better than any of Phil O'Keefs un-boxing videos by far :D

Image Image

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

SuperFlyinMonke wrote:

As a matter of fact, he sent me a whole little photo album to go with it.

Here's a cell phone pic of one of the photos :D

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:55 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I better not have to ever change that battery, MR. :cop:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Wait, is the guitar pink? The HK guitar strap had me thinking it was, but after showing my daughter the picture of the guitar, she was like, "Well, y'know how you're color blind . . ." :mad:

I have one of those Squier Hello Kitty guitars in pink which likely explains my attraction to this Esquire. But if it isn't pink . . .

And that amp . . . I was checking out the schematic, and what a simple, to-the-point amp it is. It looks like a single gain stage that is immediately fed into the phase inverter. The phase inverter is not what I'm accustomed to seeing, or it is just drawn differently than what I'm accustomed to - is it a long-tailed phase inverter? It doesn't seem like there's much gain on tap. Does one have to have a pretty high-output guitar for the amp to go into overdrive? Can it "give up the goods" with vintage-styled Fender single coils?

And, one of them is in California? Which, and where in California?

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 pm
Dead Man Walking

Bonano wrote:
Wait, is the guitar pink? The HK guitar strap had me thinking it was, but after showing my daughter the picture of the guitar, she was like, "Well, y'know how you're color blind . . ." :mad:

I have one of those Squier Hello Kitty guitars in pink which likely explains my attraction to this Esquire. But if it isn't pink . . .

And that amp . . . I was checking out the schematic, and what a simple, to-the-point amp it is. It looks like a single gain stage that is immediately fed into the phase inverter. The phase inverter is not what I'm accustomed to seeing, or it is just drawn differently than what I'm accustomed to - is it a long-tailed phase inverter? It doesn't seem like there's much gain on tap. Does one have to have a pretty high-output guitar for the amp to go into overdrive? Can it "give up the goods" with vintage-styled Fender single coils?

And, one of them is in California? Which, and where in California?

Yeah, the guitar is pink, and I sent the Hello Kitty strap along as part of the fun.

The amp is fantastic sounding, has plenty of gain, but of course you kinda have to wind it up to get there. It'll get from clean as can be to spanky, to aggressive/crunch, and beyond, and with a clean boost in front of the amp (I use an XTS Pegasus Boost set between 10 & 11 o'clock on the knob) it brings the rawk. It's a man's amp, so you can't just be some ham-fisted dope with it. You get quite a lot out of it with just your fingers and the volume knob on the guitar. It's very dynamic and touch sensitive. I have a 12au7 in V1 and a 12ax7 in V2 and the amp seems to like it so...

It is the amp that resides in Southern California. The guitar is on the East Coast.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:34 am
Dead Man Walking

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:
what a rad story. one/both of these items' owners needs to get crazy famous in the guitar community so that the story becomes legend

It all starts right here with you guys.

Now get busy and make me famous!

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:49 pm
Dead Man Walking

Am I famous yet?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:18 pm
Hall of Fame Member

MISTER NOBODY™ wrote:
Am I famous yet?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:44 pm
Dead Man Walking

SuperFlyinMonke wrote:
MISTER NOBODY™ wrote:
Am I famous yet?

My thoughts precisely

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:54 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Bump

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:27 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Really? Bumping a 4 year old thread?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Sure why not

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:46 pm
GABmiral

fantastic peoples up in here and as both an owner of a Pittman and a Mortatone I can say that is a high stakes trading , no fucking around at all in that deal . I've heard that amp at the Casa Slagle and it's sweet and loud !

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

So, what inspired you guys to do a round 2? Don't tell me you sold the producer switch Esquire! :mad:

Edit: Does the Esquire have a Pittman headstock or a traditional Fender shape?

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm
Hall of Fame Member

itchyfingers wrote:
So, what inspired you guys to do a round 2? Don't tell me you sold the producer switch Esquire! :mad:

I don’t recall what exactly prompted the 2nd trade. Now we’re gonna do a 3rd trade and I’m planning on pumping him up on every forum and group I go to to help get more people interested in his guitars.

Fender shape and Fender logo. I still have it. My Slagle collection will go from 2 to 4 this year :dance:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:20 pm
GABmiral

mortatone wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

I don’t recall what exactly prompted the 2nd trade. Now we’re gonna do a 3rd trade and I’m planning on pumping him up on every forum and group I go to to help get more people interested in his guitars.

Fender shape and Fender logo. I still have it. My Slagle collection will go from 2 to 4 this year :dance:

What other forums you on?

I have a few build threads for my new Pittman going now on Rig Talk and The Gear Page. Blasting my Insta, FB and all that.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm
Hall of Fame Member

JerEvil wrote:
mortatone wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

What other forums you on?

I have a few build threads for my new Pittman going now on Rig Talk and The Gear Page. Blasting my Insta, FB and all that.

A couple of bass forums, the open Jam, Facebook groups, etc. I wish TGP wasn’t so “stick in the ass” but it is what it is I guess.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm
Hall of Fame Member

That’s a great story!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm
Hall of Fame Member

RaceU4her wrote:
That’s a great story!

Thanks!

It's one of two single coolest things that have happened in my life as a result of internet bromanticism :cup:

:usa:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

How many times has this happened???

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

a little before my time here, but I remember this and think it's probably the coolest thing I've seen on a forum yet.

Another one of those things that made GAB pretty much my go to for any real forum related activity. Genuine people here fo sho.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]