Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] 
Plugged straight in 
GABmiral

Played the Ray straight into the Jube. It was good and important to do. Should have done this sooner. There was a Fulltone Clyde involved here and there but no boost, modulation, or delay.

I only really felt like I was missing that extra saturation for leads to be at the level of searing that I’m used to but I didn’t miss the modulation. Delay or some light Reverb would have been nice, but even not having that was liveable.

Leaving the pedalboard at home forced me to take a different approach. The result was the best heavy rhythm tone I’ve ever gotten, and the whole range of volume knob ride was awesome from cleanish on up. I’ve used the “channel switching” capabilities of the Jube before to get its clean sound but I think I even prefer the way it sounded getting cleans from the full gain mode and rolling back to get there. But this all did reveal that I lack some comfort and skill riding the volume. It was a bigger adjustment than it should have been.

The Jube is awesome. I will run it as a single channel... which frees up a spot on my pedalboard.. :loon:

GuitarBilly wrote:
..you're a full time Marshall guy now..

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:25 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
The last jam I went to with a drummer/full set up, I just took one guitar and my Budda combo. I did use the channel switching, but it was cranked up enough that each channel could go from rhythm to solo in terms of gain and volume by going from 7 to 10 on the guitar's volume. I missed the fun factor of my cool pedals, but as for making music, I didn't even miss having a boost for leads. And the gain channel cleaned up so well I could've done fine with just one channel.

And yet I still can't bring myself to sell off my pedals... :idk: :lol:

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Executive Owl

I've been pretty much doing the straight in thing for a while now. I still have a delay through the loop but I'm only turning it on for a few solos now. For the fast leads I'm just going straight in but for slow melodic solos the delay does help.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, Marshall DSL100HR, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

GuitarBilly wrote:
I've been pretty much doing the straight in thing for a while now. I still have a delay through the loop but I'm only turning it on for a few solos now. For the fast leads I'm just going straight in but for slow melodic solos the delay does help.

You have channel switching though right to go from clean/rhythm/lead? Your leads at the house of blues sounded like they pushed just a bit farther over the rhythm and had more saturation.

I could get by with my OCD for leads and a little delay in the background as a bare minimum with how I had the amp dialed tonight. I’m gonna be trying to keep my head in this space. It’s been happening little by little over time. Been using effects less and less.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Yes I do switch channels for leads, which was important before because I was playing with another guitar player. Now it wouldn't be a big deal if I don't, but it's there so I might as well switch :lol:

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, Marshall DSL100HR, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Bruh I been telling you that

#getwoke

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm
GABmiral

At least we know I am capable of learning :D

GuitarBilly wrote:

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 pm
GABmiral

:lol:

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm
Hall of Fame Member

yeah man!

i like doing that if i can get away with it.. the mkii sure lets it happen!

i dunno.. fx are fun, but there's something awesome about having pretty much instantaneous feedback straight off the guitar/amp combo.. everything is straight electricity right off the strings- no weird lags or rolloffs or anything.

rock it!

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 am
Hall of Fame Member

I did the opposite.... used alllllll my pedals last night.... and it was amazing lol

what I've found myself doing though is using pedals for base tones and then using the volume on my guitar to clean up.... I don't know what mojo the Stingray has going on in it but of all my guitars it cleans up the best when rolling back on the volume....

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:07 am
GABmiral

That was Awesome really ! We sounded like a fucking good old hard rock band for once . This was our best sound since we have been playing our 2 songs all these years now :D seriously that amp does clean to mean at the touch of a gtr volume and sounds perfect for so many styles . I can see the need for a boosted lead , all those old cats did the same thing . Stick to the tried and true for rock and save your fgtswitching for your #fu-sionjazzgrl gig.

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:09 am
GABmiral

The Silver Jube, unlike my JCM800, makes it so easy to plug straight in. It's such a greasy Marshall as is. If I do boost, it's just that, boost. No extra gain. I'm using the OCD as pretty much a volume boost and EQ'er. I am also using my Cali76 comp at all times with it. Makes the amp extra greasy.

Who am I kidding, the Cali76 is always on no matter what amp I am playing.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:17 am
GABmiral

No fgt Line 6 bullshit

GuitarBilly wrote:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am
GABmiral

It's just a matter of how loud the thing needs to be before it gives up the goods . The Jube is the best I have experienced at it's volume level . It's magic at a less then the usual bone crushing volumes needed to get other amps in the zone . It can go way past what is needed but screaming thing will rip your face off . No need to go there ... It's perfect straight in . Now get those chops up fgt

― MISTER NOBODY™

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:56 am
GABmiral

Just ran my GR33 into my loaner Helix's loop as well as my SY300 into the other side of the stereo loop of my Kemper. Very similar experience.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am
GABmiral

Right. There's nothing like running a Kemper straight in when the tubes are glowing red.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

As much fun as I’m having with a clean pedal platform amp and pedals, I’m totally fine and really comfortable with a single channel amp that cleans up with the volume knob such as my VTM60 or modded VTM120. There are times however that I need to go from full on to a very specific level of clean and back again all while picking. So I made this;

Just a remote volume button that I can set to a specific spot. Pseudo clean channel. But since my pedalboard was getting a bit crowded and I didn’t have room for my expression pedal I built a while back, I decided to combine both in one pedal. Big knob is for controlling my delay and the button is for volume.

I do need to try a jubilee.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 am
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
Right. There's nothing like running a Kemper straight in when the tubes are glowing red.

Pablo gets it.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:21 am
Hall of Fame Member

i strongly prefer this method. went from big furman board to guitar >x2 wireless >amp set dirty and used guitar volume. instead of tap dancing, i was able work on and perfect my O-face.

:crap:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 am
GABmiral

bubbastain wrote:
As much fun as I’m having with a clean pedal platform amp and pedals, I’m totally fine and really comfortable with a single channel amp that cleans up with the volume knob such as my VTM60 or modded VTM120. There are times however that I need to go from full on to a very specific level of clean and back again all while picking. So I made this;

Just a remote volume button that I can set to a specific spot. Pseudo clean channel. But since my pedalboard was getting a bit crowded and I didn’t have room for my expression pedal I built a while back, I decided to combine both in one pedal. Big knob is for controlling my delay and the button is for volume.

I do need to try a jubilee.

The Jube has a switch that kills the preamp gain and runs only the input gain and master. It was a good clean at the right volume but in order to get that clean level in balance with the engaged gain you have to make sacrifices and running it as a single channel gives you a better overall tone with still excellent sounding rolled off cleans.

Frees up a spot on my board for a Drybell Vibe :D

GuitarBilly wrote:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:48 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I remember years ago I was playing a 900DR rig(50 watt DR, 9000 tube power amp and two 4x12s) and my other guitar player was playing two Jubilee head..................wait for it................ and using them only for power cause he used a ADS preamp, Sonic Maximizer and a Quadraverb. Sounded good but a few years later he ditched the rack shit and plugged straight in and it sounded killer.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:06 pm
GABmiral

Idiot :lol:

GuitarBilly wrote:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

MR RUBATO wrote:
Idiot :lol:

I'm willing to be he still has those two original Jubilee half stacks sitting in his garage untouched for the last 12 years.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I've been doing this since august. I started setting the amp to my rhythm tone with the guitar on 6-7 and then rolling it up for leads. I obviously have no clue how well that would translate to a band situation, but for wanking at home, it works well.

Plus, plugging straight in is bast.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

"I approve of this thread"

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

My Son of Boogie is a glorious amp when plugged in directly. I will never give up my pedals, but there's always a place for the straight-through approach.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am
GABmiral

I Hope OP learned from all of this . ffs

― MISTER NOBODY™

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 am
GABmiral

I learn, just slowly.

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

I don't have a Jube, but I too have been running less and less effects out front. Technically speaking, I just moved them from a pedal board to inside the amp. :lol:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:36 am
GABmiral

MR RUBATO wrote:
I learn, just stubbornly.

We know.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am
GABmiral

something he was doing wrong before , nothing has come close to sounding this good so yeah user error

― MISTER NOBODY™

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm
Chief Executive Owl

I have practice tonight. I will probably leave the delay off and see if I can get through the whole set straight into the amp. should be intersting to see how far I can make it before turning it on :lol: It's an addiction.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

you don't need it if it's like his in a loop no body can hear it anyway and it just makes the glorious straight tone murky .

― MISTER NOBODY™

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 pm
GABmiral

Man I love the clean channel on the BE but per Atrox’s suggestion, I just messed with rolling volume on the dirt side and it cleans up REALLY well and sounds killer! I am digging the volume knob ride for sure.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm
Chief Executive Owl

fretless wrote:
you don't need it if it's like his in a loop no body can hear it anyway and it just makes the glorious straight tone murky .

Lead delay is not really something to be heard... actually when done correctly you do NOT hear it in the mix, it's more of a feel thing for the player, it changes the attack and decay of longer notes.. dry guitar is cool but it doesn't work for everything.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Fretless is on crack and thinks delay in front of a distorted Jube sounds good.

It doesn’t. :call:

GuitarBilly wrote:

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm
GABmiral

pfff , loops are the death of rock amps , they make them so they don't work anyway as a deterrent to the semi-toan deaf.

― MISTER NOBODY™

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Location: I came here to give presents and punch heretics ... and I just ran out of presents.
fretless wrote:
pfff , loops are the death of rock amps , they make them so they don't work anyway as a deterrent to the semi-toan deaf.

Hey! I can hear a semi-tone! :mad:

It's second-tier, but that goes without saying... :cop:

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

fretless wrote:

the ONLY place i can say i don't agree with you is a mesa mark. then you just throw an eq in em.

but otherwise.. i'm totally with that.

in my mind... put a clean boost out front for solos, and set your gain as high as you need it for rhythm work on the amp, set the treble a bit too bright for nomal playing, roll your git tone back to like 7 for your tone so you have some extra cut if you need it, and use your volume knob and tone knob for everything else.

then just leave yer amp alone.

i know.. it's totally backass old school. but it's ROCK... :lol: it's fucktarded. fx are awesome, and i'm stoked you guys are able to use 'em. and some guys even kick ass at using em and making it sound cool.

i suck at it and choose to stay sucking at it. :D just gimme one working gain channel and some knobs and get the fuck off my lawn.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Fretless... your Super 86 sounds KILLER, plugged straight in and cranked into EV SROs (no doubt, any 150+ watt speaker).... heaven on Earth! :heart:
It's got my favorite tone... Fucking KACHING and fucking KARANG!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I can't live without my compressor :facepalm:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am
GABmiral

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Fretless... your Super 86 sounds KILLER, plugged straight in and cranked into EV SROs (no doubt, any 150+ watt speaker).... heaven on Earth! :heart:
It's got my favorite tone... Fucking KACHING and fucking KARANG!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

yeah Baby ! :rawk: :D

― MISTER NOBODY™

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 am
Chief Executive Owl

GuitarBilly wrote:
I have practice tonight. I will probably leave the delay off and see if I can get through the whole set straight into the amp. should be intersting to see how far I can make it before turning it on :lol: It's an addiction.

so I tried this last night. It lasted for about 8 bars and I said "fuck this" and turned my delay back on.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

so I tried this last night. It lasted for about 8 bars and I said "fuck this" and turned my delay back on.

:rawk:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am
GABmiral

Fretless has been wearing earplugs for too long and forgets to take them out in order to notice that delays in front of distorted amps add awful noise and harshness and the repeats sound like ass especially with long trails. Also he's a bassist and maybe you can get away with failure as a bassist cause who listens to bass anyway..

Am I right? :call: :nerd:

GuitarBilly wrote:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 am
GABmiral

you know when the bass player starts making good sense and God forbid you do a thread about their accuracies shit is whacked .. right ? btw Mike went along with this plan very well most "guitarist" would have given it like 8 bars and said fuck that .

― MISTER NOBODY™

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am
Chief Executive Owl

Yeah delay in front of distortion is a no-no for me.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

delay in front of old-school drive tones, like a tweed deluxe, can sound great. you have to be REALLY conservative with the delay settings (short delay times, low levels) but when done right, you can get that on-the-verge-of-catastrophe sound. of course, in front of a high-gain amp you simply get a full-on-catastrophe.

:lol:

:crap:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am
GABmiral

fretless wrote:
you know when the bass player starts making good sense and God forbid you do a thread about their accuracies shit is whacked .. right ? btw Mike went along with this plan very well most "guitarist" would have given it like 8 bars and said fuck that .

It was good advice and broken clocks are right twice a day. :D

GuitarBilly wrote:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]