Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
A rhythm-section thread 

It was about 30 years ago that I realized I am a rhythm-section player, specifically a bassist. The band was so DIY we didn't have drums to start -- my girlfriend thrashed out the beat on a telephone book. (She shredded the thing.) The guitarist was learning her instrument while writing songs, and I found that a bass player can help turn a beginner into a viable songwriter. You can shift things subtly from down there. Subsequent bands introduced me to better drummers and a conviction that the rhythm section is a calling more than a job. To do it right, you have to live in a mental space that some guitarists can grasp but not all. Often my drummers & I wound up speaking in a gutteral code of our own. The results were good, although the bands weren't. We were serving the beat; not all of my bandmates were.

My present project is a church band with two professional musicians. I'm still trying to get the good rhythm-section ESP going with our drummer. We can achieve it for seconds at a time. I've found that when we are best in sync, I can't hear him anymore. Wondered if anyone else has had that experience. Also any tips on how to develop that ESP are welcome... actually, anything rhythm-section-related would be fun.

Last edited by alanwaston on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Welcome to the fold brother!!! This is the best guitar/amp forum on the interwebznet!!! :rawk:
Dude! We need more bass players on the forum.

Out-of-body experiences occurring during jam sessions? Sounds AWESOME!
Man, I wish I could do it on command! :lol:

1989 Murrican Strat
2013 P90 Equipped SG
2014 Freefall Korean Shredder
1969 Sunn Solarus
1980's Randall RG80 SS - I have two!!!
2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Winner Best Rig 2014)
2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SROs

Good Deals: shayne159, Bob Savage, GuitarBilly, Mortatone
Cool Lends: Broslinger, Naked Arab, HottKarl, Modesteban
Just take your time. Wave comes, let the other guys go. Catch another one - Duke Kahanamoku

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]