Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
2016 Gibson SG Standard T 
Hall of Fame Member

Gibson is back in the saddle with the 2016 lineup. I am thoroughly pleased with the new SGs.

No more brass zero nut, wonky wider fretboard, robosexual tuners, or lame ass holograms.

This is a Gibson as it should be. The setup was superb right out of the box, the PLEK job was excellent, the fit and finish was what you should expect from a top tier guitar company.

I ended up getting the black, dual humbucker model. The 490R/498T set sounds excellent...although I would imagine the 490R can get a little too dark for some.

There were a few things that I ended up doing like adding Grover locking tuners, schaller strap buttons, and a tonepros locking bridge/tailpiece. These were all personal tweaks, however. The stock hardware is high quality. I really like that the 2016 nashville setups have an allen wrench adjustment in addition to the thumbwheel.

The strap button on the back hasn't been an issue for me. My SG is weighted slightly more towards the body so I haven't experienced any neck dive. I was cautioned by the CEOwl that Grovers aren't the best choice for SGs because they are pretty heavy tuners. However, I got lucky because it was a heavy bodied SG to begin with.

At the price of $1199, it is worth every penny. Gibson is back to making guitars that are worthy of the reputation they have. The 2016 SG Standard T is an American made, balls out, rock machine.

The gigbag included is one of the best gigbags I've ever owned. The zippers are heavy duty and despite being a soft case, it is quite rigid. There is a thick layer of foam padding on each side that will protect the guitar as much as a gigbag can.

Some of you may prefer the smaller pickguards on an SG, which is fine...but small or large pickguard, this is an amazing year for SGs (and hopefully the rest of the Gibson lineup).

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Faded Cherry
2016 Gibson Les Paul Classic - Honeyburst
2017 Gibson Les Paul Classic - Goldtop

Bass:
Fender Jazz 5 String

Maps:
EVH 5150 III 100W
JCA20HV
Boss Katana 100 Head

Cabs:
Marshall 1960B (G12H-75s)