Guitar Amp Board
http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/

Sequencing drums in GarageBand?
http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41966
Page 1 of 1

Author:  draelyc [ Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

I've pulled up some of the built in kits and copy/pasta to make a track long enough for a quick demo of an amp or to sketch out a rough song idea ... but ...

Is it possible in GB to sequence a whole drum part, like for an entire song ~ placing hits and fills, etc., right where you want them?

Is anybody besides me still using GarageBand? Lol...

Author:  trey85stang2 [ Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

you can do it, a midi keyboard will help, but you can do it all in the piano roll. Its tedious but can be done. I personally use an alesis sample pad pro, play the drum parts (the best I can) then fix my sloppy playing in piano roll

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

Step 1) post 5 drum sample comparison videos in the most confusing format you can manage.

Author:  draelyc [ Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

trey85stang2 wrote:
you can do it, a midi keyboard will help, but you can do it all in the piano roll. Its tedious but can be done. I personally use an alesis sample pad pro, play the drum parts (the best I can) then fix my sloppy playing in piano roll


Dig. Thanks! :thu:

I was afeerd that I might need to consider some outboard gear ~ all the sequencing I've done so far has been with (touch sensitive) pads, and then as you say, fixing the sloppy bits in the editing.

Author:  Marc G [ Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

RUBATO wrote:
Step 1) post 5 drum sample comparison videos in the most confusing format you can manage.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



you can use the digital piano roll to do it in the software... or use a midi controller like a keyboard or drumpad to do it externally...

what version are you using?

Author:  draelyc [ Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

Marc G wrote:
RUBATO wrote:
Step 1) post 5 drum sample comparison videos in the most confusing format you can manage.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



you can use the digital piano roll to do it in the software... or use a midi controller like a keyboard or drumpad to do it externally...

what version are you using?


I can never remember off the top of my head, and I'm at the office now and can't look it up. :(

I've only just now looked up how to open up the piano roll, after Trey's post, above.

I R noobzors, lol.

Author:  Marc G [ Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

depending on your version there will be a Garageband Drummer you can insert, it will automate the drums for you and you should be able to export it to Midi and then apply a drum kit to it and THENNNN just modify it if need be... I know you can do that in Logic at least

Author:  draelyc [ Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

Marc G wrote:
depending on your version there will be a Garageband Drummer you can insert, it will automate the drums for you and you should be able to export it to Midi and then apply a drum kit to it and THENNNN just modify it if need be... I know you can do that in Logic at least


Oh, man. :-/ So many steps...

I found the various drum kits that came with GB, and I've used them to make short clips/amp demos 'round here... :whistle:

But I couldn't figure out (at least not quickly and intuitively, without a manual) how to create my own patterns using those kits, rather than being stuck with whatever patterns the kits automatically play.

Author:  neilrocks25 [ Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

Marc G wrote:
depending on your version there will be a Garageband Drummer you can insert, it will automate the drums for you and you should be able to export it to Midi and then apply a drum kit to it and THENNNN just modify it if need be... I know you can do that in Logic at least



This.

Author:  neilrocks25 [ Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

draelyc wrote:
Marc G wrote:
depending on your version there will be a Garageband Drummer you can insert, it will automate the drums for you and you should be able to export it to Midi and then apply a drum kit to it and THENNNN just modify it if need be... I know you can do that in Logic at least


Oh, man. :-/ So many steps...

I found the various drum kits that came with GB, and I've used them to make short clips/amp demos 'round here... :whistle:

But I couldn't figure out (at least not quickly and intuitively, without a manual) how to create my own patterns using those kits, rather than being stuck with whatever patterns the kits automatically play.



It might be worth stepping up to another program, like Cubase elements its not expensive.

Author:  trey85stang2 [ Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

garageband is free, so the latest is a just a trip to the app store. if you are already familiar with garageband and have a ton of crap in it (and will be sticking with a mac) then logic pro is a great choice.

Author:  draelyc [ Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

Thanks for the replies, y'all!

Sounds like A) I need to poke around in GB and experiment a bit to see what's what, and B) I might orta invest in a set of pads I can use to play in basic patterns by hand, which I could then clean up in the software.

Not really at a point where I can think about stepping up to a bigger, better DAW ~ and I've barely scratched the surface of GB so far, anyway. :idk:

Much appreesh, y'all! :thu:

Author:  trey85stang2 [ Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

draelyc wrote:
Not really at a point where I can think about stepping up to a bigger, better DAW ~ and I've barely scratched the surface of GB so far, anyway. :idk:



Garageband is pretty feature rich for free. The one main reason I made the switch to logic pro was the limitation of changing tempo in song and honestly that is the only major limitation I recall (its been 3-4 years since I have used garageband though). If you are sticking with mostly au's that you bought anyways then I dont think logic pro will add much.

Author:  draelyc [ Mon May 21, 2018 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

...

I don't know what an "au" is. I prolly should stick with basics for now, lol!!!

Author:  trey85stang2 [ Mon May 21, 2018 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

draelyc wrote:
...

I don't know what an "au" is. I prolly should stick with basics for now, lol!!!


audio unit, its basically apples vst. It doesnt support vst plugins natively.

Author:  JerEvil [ Mon May 21, 2018 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

GB will do exactly what you are asking. If you use the Drummer feature, use the kittle controller ball to get an approximation of what you want. Then you can always convert it to a midi track and adjust it from there if you want. For your needs I am sure the Dummer will be fine. Experiment with different "drummers" and kits.

Also, if you want more control to drag and drop, go here...

www.groovemonkee.com

I use their stuff all the time. You literally piece a song together one part at a time.

Author:  draelyc [ Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

JerEvil wrote:
GB will do exactly what you are asking. If you use the Drummer feature, use the kittle controller ball to get an approximation of what you want. Then you can always convert it to a midi track and adjust it from there if you want. For your needs I am sure the Dummer will be fine. Experiment with different "drummers" and kits.

Also, if you want more control to drag and drop, go here...

http://www.groovemonkee.com

I use their stuff all the time. You literally piece a song together one part at a time.


I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I will ~ much appreciated, Jer! :thu:

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

I just watched some quick tutorials on how to do this in Garage Band. So I know how, but I’m not gonna tell you. :nope:

Author:  draelyc [ Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sequencing drums in GarageBand?

RUBATO wrote:
I just watched some quick tutorials on how to do this in Garage Band. So I know how, but I’m not gonna tell you. :nope:


D’oh! This is because I kicked you, isn’t it?

phpBB [video]

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/