Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
New obsession: Guitar/music taking a backseat for a while... 
Hall of Fame Member

Can’t sit still. Stupid ADHD.

My life in hobbies has been:

Music
Motocross
Cycling
Target shooting
Jetboats
Arcade restoration
R/C planes

Now...

Flight training. Getting my pilots license. Started last week. Super cool so far. Love flying.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Learn to loop.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 pm
clipless

Loop looping

Mind blown .......

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 pm
GABmiral

congrats

:lol:

I like this.

Sidenote: That's like the most comfortable sweater I've ever owned, and I have no idea where it is.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Loop wrote:

Music
Motocross
Cycling
Target shooting
Jetboats
Arcade restoration
R/C planes

Now...

Flight training. Getting my pilots license. Started last week. Super cool so far. Love flying.

dude, that's awesome. flying is so fun but expensive. my buddy is a pilot and would let me take control once we were in the air. fellow ADHD'r as well and there's no way i'd pursue my license b/c i'd never bother to do any pre-checks, maintenance. i'd be harrison-ford'ing my landings on some par 4s. one of the planes i would LOVE to fly in would be an old open-air cockpit bi-wing. visceral.

i know you used to deal with a lot of people in sales but i was so easy to spot: "hey loop, what do you think about these nylon guitars and which would you suggest?" ..... (waits 4 full minutes and hasn't heard back from loop, pulls trigger) lol.

i prefer to take my medicine. sometimes i do miss, when not taking medicine, the ability to channel other-worldly adrenaline at the drop of a hat and perform incredible physical feats or seriously injure myself. total tossup there.

anyway, congrats dude. be careful and have fun.

:crap:

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:39 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sasquatch wrote:
Loop wrote:

Music
Motocross
Cycling
Target shooting
Jetboats
Arcade restoration
R/C planes

Now...

dude, that's awesome. flying is so fun but expensive. my buddy is a pilot and would let me take control once we were in the air. fellow ADHD'r as well and there's no way i'd pursue my license b/c i'd never bother to do any pre-checks, maintenance. i'd be harrison-ford'ing my landings on some par 4s. one of the planes i would LOVE to fly in would be an old open-air cockpit bi-wing. visceral.

i know you used to deal with a lot of people in sales but i was so easy to spot: "hey loop, what do you think about these nylon guitars and which would you suggest?" ..... (waits 4 full minutes and hasn't heard back from loop, pulls trigger) lol.

i prefer to take my medicine. sometimes i do miss, when not taking medicine, the ability to channel other-worldly adrenaline at the drop of a hat and perform incredible physical feats or seriously injure myself. total tossup there.

Hahaha yeah I get ALL of that. I've chosen to never medicate for it, and it's a hindrance in some areas, but I've mostly learned to channel myself toward the strengths of it. It's actually helped me be more creative and clever in ways, I think. Long-term focus is the hardest part.

You can totally hear my ADHD if you've ever listened to any of the music I make lol.

But yeah, super excited about flying. I've got about 6 hours of classes in so far with ground school, and an hour in the sky....so 30 more hours of class, and 39 more hours in the cockpit before I have my PPL.

Learning in a Diamond DA-20. It's a low-wing single engine 2 seater (stick, no yoke)...and it's built very similarly to a glider, so it's pretty hard to stall/spin. I'll eventually be flying in a Piper Dakota, and a few others. Long term goal (next 5 or so years) is to get into a fractional ownership of a small craft, and have one I can fly whenever.

Also, this probably means selling the jetboat, if I don't want the wife to leave me. Still hemming and hawing on whether she's worth it. :lol:

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 am
Hall of Fame Member

you can always find a new wife

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01 am
Hall of Fame Member

just jack off into nike socks

#whileKneeling

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

Loop wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Loop wrote:

Music
Motocross
Cycling
Target shooting
Jetboats
Arcade restoration
R/C planes

Now...

Hahaha yeah I get ALL of that. I've chosen to never medicate for it, and it's a hindrance in some areas, but I've mostly learned to channel myself toward the strengths of it. It's actually helped me be more creative and clever in ways, I think. Long-term focus is the hardest part.

You can totally hear my ADHD if you've ever listened to any of the music I make lol.

But yeah, super excited about flying. I've got about 6 hours of classes in so far with ground school, and an hour in the sky....so 30 more hours of class, and 39 more hours in the cockpit before I have my PPL.

Learning in a Diamond DA-20. It's a low-wing single engine 2 seater (stick, no yoke)...and it's built very similarly to a glider, so it's pretty hard to stall/spin. I'll eventually be flying in a Piper Dakota, and a few others. Long term goal (next 5 or so years) is to get into a fractional ownership of a small craft, and have one I can fly whenever.

Also, this probably means selling the jetboat, if I don't want the wife to leave me. Still hemming and hawing on whether she's worth it. :lol:

whoa!

those do look like mini-gliders. being so small you probably pass under a wisp of a cloud and the plane drops 10 feet. i would love to fly but i'd probably get bored and start only flying in thunderstorms at night or something. yeah, adhd is awesome for creativity but i am a damn microsoft sql database administrator. gotta medicate.

my good buddy went to aviation management school at auburn university and then onto plane construction (body), engine schools. got a job w/lockheed building the C-130s (did harness wiring). he bought a used plane and fixed it up (i forget the model). pretty cool.

guy at the bottom of my neighborhood has a nice paved runway and has 2 planes: the first one i don't know but he can fly inverted in it. the second plane is a saratoga turbo.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4687823 ... a=!3m1!1e3

have fun.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

Loop, forever living the dream.

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 am
Hall of Fame Member

itchyfingers wrote:

No great dream has ever involved being a dwarfy idiot in a flyover state. But thank you!

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am
clipless

Loop wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

No great dream has ever involved being a dwarfy idiot in a flyover state. But thank you!

Have you ever heard of Lord of the Rings?

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Congrats Loop! Keeping busy is the only way I can put my demons to bed. :lol:
Almost learned to fly a helicopter, a few years ago but, then my g/f moved in... oh, well. :cry:

A landing strip in his back yard?!?!?!? OMG!!! Major winner! :thu:
Sasquatch wrote:

guy at the bottom of my neighborhood has a nice paved runway and has 2 planes: the first one i don't know but he can fly inverted in it. the second plane is a saratoga turbo.

have fun.

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am
Chief Executive Owl

I am jealous. I really wanted to get a pilot's license a few years back and actually looked into it but I couldn't pass the required vision test (I am partially color blind) :(

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Flying sounds really cool. I've been into bikes lately (all kinds).

Modded my 50w EVH to fix green/blue volume jump

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sasquatch wrote:

have fun.

That's so fucking sick. Life goals. YOU COULD ALSO HAVE DRAG RACES AT YOUR HOUSE

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Pickle wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

have fun.

That's so fucking sick. Life goals. YOU COULD ALSO HAVE DRAG RACES AT YOUR HOUSE

what's even crazier is that now on google maps the alabama steel guitar association is located in my neighborhood. that's not me. i thought it was a GAB member but it seems legit.

that guy owns a mortgage corporation.

there's also another dude with a grass runway on top of the hill.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4567842 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 am
GABmiral

Sasquatch wrote:

#whileKneeling

this

Sasquatch wrote:
i would love to fly but i'd probably get bored and start only flying in thunderstorms at night or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: dude you always have the best posts

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

#whileKneeling

this

Sasquatch wrote:
i would love to fly but i'd probably get bored and start only flying in thunderstorms at night or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: dude you always have the best posts

Well, thanks dude.

Bored part is true. Had a Honda VTX1300 bike. Did get bored and I would pull up the radar to find the closest storm and ride all in it, no windshield of course. Hail, cloud-to-ground lightning, couple of 4 locos, etc.... adhd.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm
GABmiral

That is MEN as fuck :lol:

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm
GABmiral

Pickle wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

have fun.

NOW I WANT TO BE A PILOT

I like this.

Sidenote: That's like the most comfortable sweater I've ever owned, and I have no idea where it is.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
clipless

Just build the runway/dragstrip - it will be cheaper/safer - and if you add a big ol' pole shed, you could probably rent to actual pilots!
:idea:

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:32 pm
GABmiral

clipless bumper wrote:
Just build the runway/dragstrip - it will be cheaper/safer - and if you add a big ol' pole shed, you could probably rent to actual pilots!
:idea:

Brilliant! I'll get right on it!

:shake:

I like this.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]