Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Intellectual Dark Web 
Hall of Fame Member

K-Bizzle wrote:
Any specific examples worth citing?
I'm saying this with genuine curiosity because overall I haven't noticed this (much, depending on who we're talking about) but I'm also I'm a controls engineer not a professor of psychology, economist, neuroscientist, etc so things could definitely slip by that I'm taking in by simply trusting too much that their intentions are rightly found.

My bad, seems the video I posted starts in the middle of it, here is it from the beginning.
For Peterson specifically
phpBB [video]

Another from the same guy
phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm
GABmiral

i watched those videos and can’t say they did much in the way of debunking.

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm
GABmiral

I'm just wondering why people need Dr Peterson to tell them to not fucking suck at life.

I don't disagree with him, but constantly listening to someone teeing off on the extreme left is grating to me. My bigger issue with it is the cult like following he's developed. It doesn't seem like most people get the full message, and turn in to pseudo intellectuals overnight.

Kinda like Rick and Morty. I love the show, but the over analytical fans that become overnight geniuses bother me with their rabid fanboyism.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm
Hall of Fame Member

RUBATO wrote:
i watched those videos and can’t say they did much in the way of debunking.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:08 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
1) Happy Hour
2) Rick & Morty

I am in agreement with these two points.

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Dave wrote:
I'm just wondering why people need Dr Peterson to tell them to not fucking suck at life.

I don't disagree with him, but constantly listening to someone teeing off on the extreme left is grating to me. My bigger issue with it is the cult like following he's developed. It doesn't seem like most people get the full message, and turn in to pseudo intellectuals overnight.

Kinda like Rick and Morty. I love the show, but the over analytical fans that become overnight geniuses bother me with their rabid fanboyism.

100%. It's the same problem he sometimes speak against when he addresses identity politics and/or tribalism. People just repeating a message that sounds good to them without putting any real thought to it and surrounding themselves with like minded individuals to feel validated. That is happening at the lower levels at IDW (basically at their fan base) in a crazy manner and the top guys are not denouncing it much because profit.

I really hope the IDW doesn't turn into an intellectual version of Tool/Radiohead, where I appreciate their music but can't stand their fan base.

Guitars: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul, Strat and Tele partscasters, Ibanez RG

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, TC G Major.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
https://www.facebook.com/thelimadivision/

For questions about GAB contact me at admin@guitarampboard.com

Proud endorser of Jet City Amplification

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm
GABmiral

GuitarBilly wrote:
Dave wrote:

100%. It's the same problem he sometimes speak against when he addresses identity politics and/or tribalism. People just repeating a message that sounds good to them without putting any real thought to it and surrounding themselves with like minded individuals to feel validated. That is happening at the lower levels at IDW (basically at their fan base) in a crazy manner and the top guys are not denouncing it much because profit.

I really hope the IDW doesn't turn into an intellectual version of Tool/Radiohead, where I appreciate their music but can't stand their fan base.

I resemble these remarks! :lol:

But I’m secure. My pseudo-intellectualism predates Peterson.... though it doesn’t predate Tool... :hmm:

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Chief Executive Owl

RUBATO wrote:

But I’m secure. My pseudo-intellectualism predates Peterson.... though it doesn’t predate Tool... :hmm:

I wasn't talking about you at all :lol:

Amps: Jet City 50H, Jet City Amelia, EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

:lol:

FWIW it seems Peterson is scooping up a lot of folks that would be otherwise lost and angry at the world.
So even if they’re being stupid and dogmatic at least they’re probably not fucking incels.
Incremental improvement. :cop:

Maps:
Egnater Armageddon, Katana 100, Yamaha THR5

Cabs:
Bogner OS 2x12, Randall MTS 2x12

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 pm
GABmiral

GuitarBilly wrote:
RUBATO wrote:

I wasn't talking about you at all :lol:

I will neither confirm nor deny that I believe you.

Loop wrote:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm
GABmiral

K-Bizzle wrote:

FWIW it seems Peterson is scooping up a lot of folks that would be otherwise lost and angry at the world.
So even if they’re being stupid and dogmatic at least they’re probably not fucking incels.

I agree with this for the most part. Though troll types who like provocateurs enjoy those moments where Peterson is giving the left shit. But the best parts of what he does don’t have much to do with politics. Average bros who hang around long enough to check it are at least likely to have clean rooms.

Guys like Gad Saad (who I like enough) and other people Rubin entertains (Candace Owens especially) aren’t quite bringing the high level discussions the same way as Harris, the Weinsteins or JBP.

I think it will be the Weinsteins who hold the bar and keep the gate. I see them as having the most long term potential for positive influence. Eric is particularly capable of this from what I can tell.

Loop wrote:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm
GABmiral

RUBATO wrote:
K-Bizzle wrote:

I agree with this for the most part. Though troll types who like provocateurs enjoy those moments where Peterson is giving the left shit. But the best parts of what he does don’t have much to do with politics. Average bros who hang around long enough to check it are at least likely to have clean rooms.

Guys like Gad Saad (who I like enough) and other people Rubin entertains (Candace Owens especially) aren’t quite bringing the high level discussions the same way as Harris, the Weinsteins or JBP.

I think it will be the Weinsteins who hold the bar and keep the gate. I see them as having the most long term potential for positive influence. Eric is particularly capable of this from what I can tell.

One of my main concerns with the IDW (and this relates directly to Candace, who is a fucking charlatan) is their insistence that gatekeeping is unnecessary, and a rejection of guilt by association. Seems to me that's just how the world works (optics: how do they work?!?), and it makes Ruben look like a moron when he takes someone like Candace seriously.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 am
GABmiral

I like how Rogan exposes people. I couldn’t even sit trough her appearance on his podcast. She was out of her element and obviously nervous that she had to bring something real to the table and couldn’t.

Loop wrote:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 am
GABmiral

I liked the JRE with Owens overall, but the climate change denial portion was definitely retarded lol

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 am
Hall of Fame Member

Agreed Shea.
I think Ruben's former liberal PTSD leaves him with a blindspot for people like Candace (ie another former liberal turned conservative who doesn't fit the standard conservative mold).
And I think you're right with gate keeping but I think (hope) this will happen naturally so long as people like this are interviewed by or alongside people like Eric (hell or even Rogan sometimes) who won't let bullshit slide.

RUBATO wrote:
I like how Rogan exposes people. I couldn’t even sit trough her appearance on his podcast. She was out of her element and obviously nervous that she had to bring something real to the table and couldn’t.

That one was rough. I was more than willing to like her but to me that podcast exposed her as a standard partisan hack.
"Why don't you believe in climate change?" "Because Al Gore" :facepalm:

Not that she doesn't have points and didn't say anything of value but it seems pretty obvious she's just directly traded in one set of values in for another.
That said I've not heard from Charlie Kirk (her boss at Turning Point) yet so I'd be interested to hear direct from the source in longform and see if he's got anything worth hearing.

Maps:

Cabs:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am
Hall of Fame Member

Candace Owens always comes off as childish to me....

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:42 am
GABmiral

K-Bizzle wrote:

I see more outside casual observers becoming increasingly angry the more they focus on these fish in a barrel sessions with their new heroes.

"Here's irl Rick Sanchez destroying an extreme left transgender feelings are facts person"

Then regurgitating talking points and terms, while surrounding themselves by other newly wokes. Not just the anger but the smug condescending newly woke attitude toward those they feel are less enlightened/aware of Peterson/Carson/etc.

which is cool, I talk down to people all the time and I definitely appreciate his attitude. However, I refuse to listen to staged podcasts and join another trend of "enlightened" group think. It's not a good use of my time.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 am
GABmiral

Dave your missing out on some quality Peterson. My favorite videos of his are the class lectures he was posting before he ever blew up or became a politically charged public figure.

Loop wrote:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 am
GABmiral

RUBATO wrote:
Dave your missing out on some quality Peterson. My favorite videos of his are the class lectures he was posting before he ever blew up or became a politically charged public figure.

No, I’m really not.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 am
Hall of Fame Member

Peterson is a goddamn hero among men. Rogan smokes too much weed. Harris is becoming increasingly annoying. Brett Weinstein is pretty cool despite his pretentiousness. Shapiro is smart but ultra nerdy.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am
GABmiral

I’d really like to hear some input from the social justice delegation of GAB. Having come from that camp I could readorn the technicolor robes and stand-in but alas I fear the authenticity would be lost in my attempt.

Loop wrote:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

RUBATO wrote:
I’d really like to hear some input from the social justice delegation of GAB. Having come from that camp I could readorn the technicolor robes and stand-in but alas I fear the authenticity would be lost in my attempt.

Does this exist?
I haven't been around much these days but I'd assumed Dave had managed to chase them off by now.

Maps:

Cabs:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:49 pm
GABmiral

Guerrilla Soy Brigade is always lurking...

Loop wrote:

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm
GABmiral

They stick to the amp section shitposting about their daily amp struggle

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I always assumed I was part of the SJW delegation since my return

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 am
GABmiral

Kardula wrote:

I think there's only two of you left at this point.

Loop wrote:

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 am
Chief Executive Owl

RUBATO wrote:

yeah that does sound like a legit invitation to an open discussion with the other side.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

GuitarBilly wrote:
RUBATO wrote:

yeah that does sound like a legit invitation to an open discussion with the other side.

yeah being an ass trying to be funny, ultimately counter productive.

busted. :lol:

Loop wrote:

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 am
clipless

RUBATO wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
RUBATO wrote:

yeah being an ass trying to be funny, ultimately counter productive.

busted. :lol:

stop trying to dave, rube

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Hall of Fame Member

RUBATO wrote:
Kardula wrote:

You say "two of you left"...I hear "you are special, and rare"....thanks for validating my feelings

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Kardula wrote:
RUBATO wrote:
Kardula wrote:

You say "two of you left"...I hear "you are special, and rare"....thanks for validating my feelings

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear "the others were ran off" which is precisely what Peterson talks against when it comes to what the far left is doing in universities.

and yet, many of his fans (not himself, he knows how to engage in discusion) are as quick to label the other side as "SJWs/cucks/snowflakes" as the far left is to label their dissents "bigots/racists/sexists" ....

See my first post on this thread, which I will quote again:

GuitarBilly wrote:
The top echelon of the IDW is indeed very good and brings very important topics to the public arena. However, as it becomes more popular, I'm already starting to see weak derivatives and blatantly intentional misquotes that deviates from its original intent.

As much as I love to listen to Harris or Peterson, I rarely like to see someone quoting them, as it is usually way off mark and out of context and often used with the purpose of justifying bullshit behavior.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I play on the 'REAL' DarkWeb .. You know, the one that Al Gore developed

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2