Reply to topic  [ 3859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Official Rate The Last Movie You Saw Thread 
GABmiral

The Book Of Henry 7.5/10 - Enjoyed this one a lot. Great cast, cool story. I had strange liquid coming out of my eye sockets often throughout the entire film.

A Ghost Story ?/10 - I can't decide on this one... definitely not for everyone. The scope of what this movie is trying to accomplish is HUGE and it's done in such a minimal way. It's a SLOOOOOOOOOW build... i mean, you watch a girl eat an entire pie in one sitting.... you watch the whole thing. :freak: All of it comes together... you try to process it all and when you think it's reached a suitable ending it takes you somewhere else. I was really tired already watching this and there's not much dialog so i had trouble focusing on it but certain things about it definitely stayed with me. It was beautiful in some ways, crushing in others. Basically we're all really insignificant.... :lol:

1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2016 Gibson The Element AL13 1958 Standard Historic Les Paul
2016 Leo Lospenatto TV-Star Mötor Custom
2015 Ronin Songbird Custom
2015 Maton MS500 50th Anniversary Edition
2014 Rickenbacker 4003 Jet Glo
1975 Hiwatt DR103
1974 Hiwatt cab SE4122 W/ Fane speakers
2015 Verellen Skyhammer amp
2015 Verellen 4x12 cab w/ WGS Vet 30 speakers
2016 Benson Monarch
2016 Benson Rotary Cab
25 delays

"wouldn't play a Laney if you paid me"

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am
Hall of Fame Member

A Cure For Wellness 5/10

This is a beautiful film, nicely shot and the ambience is there. The story isn’t though. Supposedly a horror film, but more of a WTF film. Not the fault of the cast, they did well.

Watch if: you’re bored and it’s on and nothing else is.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 pm
GABmiral

Ruiner wrote:
The Book Of Henry 7.5/10 - Enjoyed this one a lot. Great cast, cool story. I had strange liquid coming out of my eye sockets often throughout the entire film.

A Ghost Story ?/10 - I can't decide on this one... definitely not for everyone. The scope of what this movie is trying to accomplish is HUGE and it's done in such a minimal way. It's a SLOOOOOOOOOW build... i mean, you watch a girl eat an entire pie in one sitting.... you watch the whole thing. :freak: All of it comes together... you try to process it all and when you think it's reached a suitable ending it takes you somewhere else. I was really tired already watching this and there's not much dialog so i had trouble focusing on it but certain things about it definitely stayed with me. It was beautiful in some ways, crushing in others. Basically we're all really insignificant.... :lol:

I have read such differing takes on AGS. I like Affleck and the concept seems good. If extremely sad as well :cry: The slowness is what kind of has me going back and forth about watching it. I'll probably catch it at some point.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Transformers The Last Knight 7/10 actually story was better than the last Transformers.

It 7.5/10 not bad, Pennywise was freaky. Kids did a good job.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 pm
Hall of Fame Member

The Kingsmen : The Golden Circle... 8/10... well 8/10 if you liked the first one lol.... solid mindless entertainment... will say Julianne Moore as a villain was awesome and the main surprise cameo was hilarious

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:02 pm
GABmiral

IT - 9/10: I thought it was bad ass all the way through, the characters, story development, creepiness, the fucking clown, and the whole vibe. Was it super gory, no. Was it 100% to the book? No. They just nailed the vibe of that awkward age of growing up, some well written banter for the kids, and the tension created was excellent. It was more thriller than horror. I enjoy super gory movies, and they have their place. This is the best horror type movie I have seen in awhile. I know others didn’t like it as much, for me, it was damn near perfect. Enjoyed it from the very beginning to the end, edge of seat type of pace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It always amazes me when these guys want to tell "their side of the story"

News flash: your product IS your side of the story. It tells everything we need to know.

- Guitarbilly

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Ruiner wrote:

Dude I’m right with you. I can’t rate this.

There were moments it was GLACIALLY slow, but I’ve rarely seen emotions conveyed to the audience about what you’re supposed to be feeling this adeptly. The ghost next door not being able to remember who they’re waiting for and the sad nod of the head afterwards really got me.

I don’t know that I’d recommend this...especially not to a stoner. This movie would feel like a fuckin lifetime if I was high.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I softened my view of "IT" a little since seeing it (heh). The acting was really good as i said. I think i have just watched so many horror movies that if something doesn't bring something new and exciting to the genre, i immediately scoff at it.

IT may be a unique story in some ways. More-so in the book, but it's presentation was very typical. That is Hollywoods fault. They really should not take on subjects they deem too racy. They did the same bullshit with "Let Me In"... which is a remake i actually liked, but left the most important part out. To be fair, "Let the Right One In" (far superior to our remake) only suggested it, but at least they suggested it and it was obvious. The book goes in great detail about it if anyone is interested... i digress...

It was the "Glacially slow" parts that i liked in IT :lol: . The rest was typical Hollywood stuff IMO, but it was certainly better than most of the big Hollywood horrors that have come out the past 10-15 years.

lastly, as i said.. i'm just not a fan of ANY of Stephen King's horror stuff. "The Shining" being the only one i i enjoy and it's hardly a King story after Kubrick got his hands on it.

My metal band, Contrarian

2014 MoGraph Reel

Friedman BE100 :shake:
DSL100H
Boss Katana Head

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 am
Hall of Fame Member

King Arthur/Excalibur 8.5/10

Much better than I expected. I liked the dialogue, and honestly, Jude Law should get an award for his acting in this one.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am
GABmiral

2018 film Annihilation ...looks bad ass can't wait for that .

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Fuck you Fretsong guitars"
― hardvalve

https://formalblack.com/

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Finally got to see Fury. 7/10 Lots of gratuitous violence and you can add two points if you like watching Nazis get snuffed.
There were a couple of editing issues and a few scenes went on a bit too long but, it was worth the 2 h 14 m. :thu: :thu:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd. :rawk:

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Yes fury was great. It holds up on second and third viewing as long as you fast forward the slow parts.

Worth the price of admission alone to see brad pitt go all audie murphy on the nazis.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

IT (2017) - 10/10, great horror flick, relies more on jump scares than the original but was probably the best horror movie that relies on that I've seen.
Last Shift - 8/10 , we'll done psych horror, enjoyed this one as much as I did It Follows

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Ye_Black_Knight wrote:
Lo, in honor of ye day of his birth (August's final day) this knight did once again view'eth "Caligula", a document of ye ruler of immeasurable wisdom, vision and power.
X of X!

Whence viewing this classic, be sure to have'th towels and tissues on hand. For this masterwork taketh thee to both ye giddy heights of pleasure, through ye bitter depths tragedy!

This post now concludeth!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

Kardula wrote:
Last Shift - 8/10 , we'll done psych horror, enjoyed this one as much as I did It Follows

Checked this out last night on your rec; pretty good, although I didn’t like it as much as It Follows. Serious medium grade tension throughout though. I’ll echo your 8/10, Juliana Harkavy was enjoyable to watch. On Netflix, you guys.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 am
GABmiral

Spiderman: Homecoming - 7.5/10 - a lot of fun

Kong: Skull Island - 7/10 - much better than i thought it would be

Also watched Guardians Of The Galaxy: Vol 2 again. Such a great movie. Noticed a lot of little things i didn't pay attention to in the first viewing. So good.

1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2016 Gibson The Element AL13 1958 Standard Historic Les Paul
2016 Leo Lospenatto TV-Star Mötor Custom
2015 Ronin Songbird Custom
2015 Maton MS500 50th Anniversary Edition
2014 Rickenbacker 4003 Jet Glo
1975 Hiwatt DR103
1974 Hiwatt cab SE4122 W/ Fane speakers
2015 Verellen Skyhammer amp
2015 Verellen 4x12 cab w/ WGS Vet 30 speakers
2016 Benson Monarch
2016 Benson Rotary Cab
25 delays

"wouldn't play a Laney if you paid me"

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:00 am
GABmiral

Watched Wind River last night. Great murder mystery. Excellent setting and cinematography. Jeremy Renner does good work; even though I sometimes forget that for no real reason.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

Mother! - 9/10

Thanks guys for recommending this one. Such an ambitious, balls-out movie. I probably missed more than half of the bible references but that's ok.

Is so rare you have a director looking to go so big, who also has enough money to hire A-list actors and have outstanding sound and visuals. It's amazing to me I've read a handful of reviews and they all make reasonable arguments about wtf the movie is about but I don't entirely agree with any of them. Especially the NYT critic. That guy is way off. Art at its best.

Docked a point because the first half drags a bit, but the movie as a whole is worth it. Definitely one you want to see in the theater in October.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 am
Hall of Fame Member

Wayne wrote:
Mother! - 9/10

Thanks guys for recommending this one. Such an ambitious, balls-out movie. I probably missed more than half of the bible references but that's ok.

Is so rare you have a director looking to go so big, who also has enough money to hire A-list actors and have outstanding sound and visuals. It's amazing to me I've read a handful of reviews and they all make reasonable arguments about wtf the movie is about but I don't entirely agree with any of them. Especially the NYT critic. That guy is way off. Art at its best.

Docked a point because the first half drags a bit, but the movie as a whole is worth it. Definitely one you want to see in the theater in October.

:love:

Man. That movie is all about the camera. Follow the camera and you follow the story. It's art as you said. It was amazing. Kristin Wigg was amazing in it too. I love that all these actors weren't just like "fuck that" after reading this script. It's a movie made for backlash, both in content and story.

2014 MoGraph Reel

DSL100H
Boss Katana Head

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:43 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:

Man. That movie is all about the camera. Follow the camera and you follow the story. It's art as you said. It was amazing. Kristin Wigg was amazing in it too. I love that all these actors weren't just like "fuck that" after reading this script. It's a movie made for backlash, both in content and story.

Yes and it was not an easy movie to act. They all did a great job. Definitely a turning point in Lawrence's career. Shows she can do anything.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
Watched Wind River last night. Great murder mystery. Excellent setting and cinematography. Jeremy Renner does good work; even though I sometimes forget that for no real reason.

Agreed. This was good. 8/10

This might have been his best performance I’ve seen.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:42 pm
GABmiral

Watched Hired Guns a few days back. Great doc about, well; hired guns :lol: The take away from it is basically that Billy Joel is a d!ck.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

Scary or Die - 5/10, horror anthology, seemed to move quicker than other anthologies which I think caused the lack of any sort of character development. Some of the plots were interesting, but overall it was lacking, I'd rather watch some youtube horror shorts instead. I much preferred the V/H/S series

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am
Hall of Fame Member

Digging up the Marrow. 7/10

Not as good as Troll Hunter, but i enjoyed this and i don't enjoy his other movies TBH. Leland Palmer says he found where Monsters exist and the doc crew goes with him to see whats up.

Nothing great here, but it was amusing and fun to sit through.

2014 MoGraph Reel

DSL100H
Boss Katana Head

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

Assassin's Creed WTF/10
Those involved were clearly trying to transcend the action film genre and create a GREAT FILM but they failed utterly. There are some interesting ideas but they are just left to flounder with no development. The visuals have a unique style, at least.

Sicario Awesome/10
Everything about this movie is amazing. This is the second time I have seen it and I stilled enjoyed every second. Makes me eve more excited for the new Blade Runner.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:44 am
Hall of Fame Member

Blade Runner 2049 - 8.5/10

Visuals were amazing, beautiful blend of CGI and practical and they really captured the vibe of the original without copying it. All the tech looked like improved versions of the original Blade Runner stuff and not like tweaked versions of modern tech (if that makes sense).

Excellent acting and plot. It was nice to see some character development. The plot was tied to the first one but didn't try to explain or give reasons for everything in the first one. Pacing was slower than a typical modern movie. Its definitely more of a suspense movie than an action movie but the few action sequences there are are amazing.

I have two minor complaints. It was a little overlong. Like it said it had a slow pace, there were a lot of long lingering shots. It was all beautiful but by the end I was wishing they would hurry some of them. I think if they had paced the middle bit a little quicker and left the ending as is it would have made the shots at the end more impactful.

My other issue is Jared Leto. He was fine but a little over the top. I've yet to really enjoy his acting in anything.

TL/DR: If you liked the original or just like good SciFi, go see it. If you get sleepy when things don't explode every 5 mins skip it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the sound track. Super minimalist but really well done. The soundscape really sets the tone of the movie.

Guitars:
Offset Les Paul
Telebird
Jazzmaster Deluxe
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

Amplification:
VHT/Fryette Pittbull 50/CL
Mortaplex

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

I've tried to watch Blade Runner, just can't get into it.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

I need to rewatch the original Blade Runner before I see the new one... I haven't watched it in years, can't remember half the movie.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 am
GABmiral

Lego Ninjago movie

Good enough to take the kids to. Not as funny as the original Lego movie, but probs on par with Batman Lego.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:36 am
Hall of Fame Member

Chris Z wrote:

You know who else doesn't like Blade Runner? Hitler and Donald Trump. Oh, and Ovid9.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

_ej_ wrote:
Blade Runner 2049 - 8.5/10

Visuals were amazing, beautiful blend of CGI and practical and they really captured the vibe of the original without copying it. All the tech looked like improved versions of the original Blade Runner stuff and not like tweaked versions of modern tech (if that makes sense).

Excellent acting and plot. It was nice to see some character development. The plot was tied to the first one but didn't try to explain or give reasons for everything in the first one. Pacing was slower than a typical modern movie. Its definitely more of a suspense movie than an action movie but the few action sequences there are are amazing.

I have two minor complaints. It was a little overlong. Like it said it had a slow pace, there were a lot of long lingering shots. It was all beautiful but by the end I was wishing they would hurry some of them. I think if they had paced the middle bit a little quicker and left the ending as is it would have made the shots at the end more impactful.

My other issue is Jared Leto. He was fine but a little over the top. I've yet to really enjoy his acting in anything.

TL/DR: If you liked the original or just like good SciFi, go see it. If you get sleepy when things don't explode every 5 mins skip it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the sound track. Super minimalist but really well done. The soundscape really sets the tone of the movie.

I am so psyched for this! The original is my favorite movie and everything points to this being a worthy successor.

Have Jared Leto and James Franko ever been in a movie together? That would be acting equivalent of dividing by zero.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

Honestly, if the performance had come from anyone else it probably wouldn't have stuck out to me. He isn't crazy over the top. There's just something about Leto that can fuck off.

Guitars:
Offset Les Paul
Telebird
Jazzmaster Deluxe
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

Amplification:
VHT/Fryette Pittbull 50/CL
Mortaplex

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:30 am
Hall of Fame Member

_ej_ wrote:
Honestly, if the performance had come from anyone else it probably wouldn't have stuck out to me. He isn't crazy over the top. There's just something about Leto that can fuck off.

Exactly

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yarbicus wrote:
Chris Z wrote:

You know who else doesn't like Blade Runner? Hitler and Donald Trump. Oh, and Ovid9.

Sounds like I'm infamous.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

Tales of Halloween - 6.9/10, another anthology, seemed to be geared more towards kids and young teens, each snippet was about 5 minutes and most included a decent enough twist at the end to keep me interested.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

Blade Runner 2049: 7/10

Not a fan of the original. The story was too small and i never felt satisfied when it was over. Pretty movie, but... it's just an OK movie IMO.

New one is a different beast. I really enjoyed it and, while it was long, i did not feel like it was long because i was actually invested in the movie and characters. Yeah. Leto was annoying and his scenes where the ones where my eyes started to glaze over.

2014 MoGraph Reel

DSL100H
Boss Katana Head

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:

Not a fan of the original. The story was too small and i never felt satisfied when it was over. Pretty movie, but... it's just an OK movie IMO.

New one is a different beast. I really enjoyed it and, while it was long, i did not feel like it was long because i was actually invested in the movie and characters. Yeah. Leto was annoying and his scenes where the ones where my eyes started to glaze over.

If you don't care for the original, then 7/10 makes sense. However, if you love the original as much as I do, then it is 12/10. So many great subtle nods to the original. The continuity is amazing.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Kingsman: Secret Service (the first one) 8/10
Finally got to see this and I have to say that I enjoyed it. Some suspension of disbelief is required but, it was still cool.
Some issues with continuity: dozens of bodies from a prior scene were gone in a newer scene but, it was still cool.
Samuel L. Jackson's dopey outfit detracted from his villainous character but, it was still cool!!!
Colin Firth was awesome, lots of gratuitous violence and the hero gets the girl!

Can't wait to see Kingsman: Golden Circle!!! Woo hooo!!!!

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd. :rawk:

Last edited by ajaxlepinski on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yarbicus wrote:
atrox wrote:

If you don't care for the original, then 7/10 makes sense. However, if you love the original as much as I do, then it is 12/10. So many great subtle nods to the original. The continuity is amazing.

agree with bolded. Probably closer to an 8 or 8.5 now that i think about it,

2014 MoGraph Reel

DSL100H
Boss Katana Head

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
Yarbicus wrote:
atrox wrote:

agree with bolded. Probably closer to an 8 or 8.5 now that i think about it,

Who knew Mackenzie Davis could look so much like Darryl Hannah?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm
GABmiral

I want to see the new one for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It always amazes me when these guys want to tell "their side of the story"

News flash: your product IS your side of the story. It tells everything we need to know.

- Guitarbilly

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 pm
GABmiral

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Brutal as f**k/10. Directed by S. Craig Zahler (guy who did Bone Tomahawk). If you have seen that; you know the drill :rawk:

Vince Vaughn stars as a guy who runs into a string of bad luck and ends up going to prison. Starts out very dry and quiet. Like Vaughn is still proving he can do stuff other than be a complete motormouth smart-a$$. Stick with it. Sooooooooo brutal in the best of ways. Vaughn puts in an excellent performance once it's all said and done but the violence will probably turn people away. Which is unfortunate. Bonus points for his fight scenes reminding me of every pre-douche era Steven Segal fight scene. Sh!t is just BRUTAL.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
Brawl in Cell Block 99. Brutal as f**k/10. Directed by S. Craig Zahler (guy who did Bone Tomahawk). If you have seen that; you know the drill :rawk:

Vince Vaughn stars as a guy who runs into a string of bad luck and ends up going to prison. Starts out very dry and quiet. Like Vaughn is still proving he can do stuff other than be a complete motormouth smart-a$$. Stick with it. Sooooooooo brutal in the best of ways. Vaughn puts in an excellent performance once it's all said and done but the violence will probably turn people away. Which is unfortunate. Bonus points for his fight scenes reminding me of every pre-douche era Steven Segal fight scene. Sh!t is just BRUTAL.

I have that downloaded to look at, good to know it's worth the watch!

Atomic Blonde 8/10...... starts slow but once it gets going it's a wild ride... Charlize can kick some serious ass

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 am
GABmiral

Marc G wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

I have that downloaded to look at, good to know it's worth the watch!

Atomic Blonde 8/10...... starts slow but once it gets going it's a wild ride... Charlize can kick some serious ass

It's really quiet at the beginning. So just be patient with it.

I want to see Atomic Blonde. Looks kick a$$!

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:

Just finished it. This was great, like the best 70s exploitation films. Dig the whole thing. I didn’t know VV could NOT run his mouth 1000 words a minute. I’ve literally never seen him be quiet in a film before.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm
GABmiral

The other night I was listening to American Icons on NPR. So not a movie but a program about one (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). Lots of great info from the book to the screenplay and eventually the movie itself.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Steinmetzify wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

Just finished it. This was great, like the best 70s exploitation films. Dig the whole thing. I didn’t know VV could NOT run his mouth 1000 words a minute. I’ve literally never seen him be quiet in a film before.

I can't stand the sight of Vince Vaughn but I'll have to check it out as 90% of the movies I watch are 70s exploitation films.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Steinmetzify wrote:

Glad you dug it Stein :thu: That scraping curbstomp as well as broken guard arm and decapitation scenewas :beavis: :lol:

Gerald's Game. Can't remember if I rated this here or not. 6.5/7 out of 10? My number is a little lower than maybe it is. I dug it. Expectations were low but the limited setting actually worked in it's favor.

Re-watched True Romance for like the trillionth time. I :love: that d@mn movie so much :rawk:

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

War for The Planet of the Apes 7.5/10..... fitting end to the trilogy, Harrelson really can do those demented characters so well, man really nailed it.... the special effects for the Apes was flawless, I mean, at no point did I think I was looking at a CGI character...

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 am
GABmiral

I though Blade Runner 2049 was ok but there were some plot holes that irritated me.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3859 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next