Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Megadeth fan here 
Hall of Fame Member

Sell me on why metallica is a better all time band than megadeth. I don't see it at all. Megadeth > Metallica all time, all day erry day imo.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 am
Hall of Fame Member

Mave's voice is absolutely terrible.
Honestly the fact that they're still a good band despite his voice is a testament to how good at guitar they are.

Maps:
Egnater Armageddon, Katana 100, Yamaha THR5

Cabs:
Bogner OS 2x12, Randall MTS 2x12

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am
GABmiral

Dave has kind of resorted to talk singing at this point. It works with the new material quite well. Curious to see how they follow up Dystopia as I dug that album a lot.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 am
GABmiral

Albert Ross'd

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Squier strat
  • DSL100H, 1960AX, Mark III, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), '73 Fender Pro Reverb, POD HD500X (Church rig), JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, Crybaby, Small Clone, DL8, MXR108, Algal clone, Pharaoh (thanks Greg :bow:)

DIY

Help out MISTER NOBODY: https://www.gofundme.com/34f76sf4

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am
GABmiral

G-SPACE wrote:
Albert Ross'd

Mamberg Jr'd?

Or Mamberg II'd?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 am
GABmiral

You're right

However, same difference, no? :D

Gear
  • DSL100H, 1960AX, Mark III, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), '73 Fender Pro Reverb, POD HD500X (Church rig), JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, Crybaby, Small Clone, DL8, MXR108, Algal clone, Pharaoh (thanks Greg :bow:)

DIY

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 am
GABmiral

G-SPACE wrote:
You're right

However, same difference, no? :D

They're all Wayne from all the reports I've been reading :hmm:

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 am
GABmiral

Which makes it Dave

Or maybe Wave?

Gear

DIY

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 am
Hall of Fame Member

You guys are crazy imo, his vox were great on dystopia.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am
clipless

Mave'd

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am
GABmiral

For whatver reason, I haven't been able to jive with Megadeth for a few years now. Loved 'em up through the 90s, though. Definitely says something that Dave Mustaine has been a key player in two of the most influential metal/thrash bands ever.

Gear

DIY

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Megadeth has a few really great albums. Metallica is both the best and the worst metal band of all time.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm
GABmiral

Rust In Piece&Countdown To Extinction>>>>>>>> Everything Metallica has ever done.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Post 2000, james should have ditched lars and Kirk and went on to make some amazing music as long as he wasn't the main vocalist. The biggest problem is that Bob rock lied to him.and told him he could sing. Hets vox were amazing until the early 90s then he became a yodeler. Kirk is just absolute shit. Can't solo can't contribute to the writing process. They got lazy and he relishes the role of permanent hired gun. He must be so easy to work with as they keep him around to do absolutely nothing. I get it, but they never grew as a band from their highest point because they became those guys holding armani shopping bags.
Dave on the other hand has always written hungry. Aside from a few stinkers here and there, all.of his music sounds spirited and hungry. He doesn't seem content. Perhaps its the perpetual chip on his shoulder from always being #2. I hear passion and have an emotional connection with his music to this day. Metallica is just writing low hanging fruit. Lars can only do so much and kirk is just awful. Robert is counting his brinks truck full of cash but he can't possibly enjoy playing st anger forward.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 am
GABmiral

TurboPablo wrote:
Rust In Piece&Countdown To Extinction>>>>>>>> Everything Metallica has ever done.

You should really give Peace Sells a listen if you haven't. I think you'd dig the jazziness mixed in with the chaos.
phpBB [video]
Yarbicus wrote:
Megadeth has a few really great albums. Metallica is both the best and the worst metal band of all time.

Very well put.
G-SPACE wrote:
For whatver reason, I haven't been able to jive with Megadeth for a few years now. Loved 'em up through the 90s, though. Definitely says something that Dave Mustaine has been a key player in two of the most influential metal/thrash bands ever.

Dystopia is awesome. I think the System Has Failed was flawed but great as well as far as being a good "accessible" Megadeth record. That also happening to include Chris Poland and Vinnie Coliuta (sp) who is a friggin' beast that should do metal more often.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 am
GABmiral

JiveTurkey wrote:
TurboPablo wrote:

You should really give Peace Sells a listen if you haven't. I think you'd dig the jazziness mixed in with the chaos.
phpBB [video]
Yarbicus wrote:

Very well put.
G-SPACE wrote:

Dystopia is awesome. I think the System Has Failed was flawed but great as well as far as being a good "accessible" Megadeth record. That also happening to include Chris Poland and Vinnie Coliuta (sp) who is a friggin' beast that should do metal more often.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I love Peace Sells.... But, I don't think it's quite as polished as the other two I mentioned. Something about the whole Mave/Marty Friedman thing that is just mind bending. At that point in time they were a perfect compliment to each other. Not to dogg on Chris Poland at all. Dude is a monster player.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 am
GABmiral

No I get you Paul. There is an interplay between Mustaine and Friedman that is just insane. I prefer the Poland/Mustaine combo because it doesn't have that polish yet it still deadly precise in spite of that fact. In all honesty; I've rightfully crapped my pants to both :crap: :rawk:

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 am
Hall of Fame Member

I honestly cannot decide if Chris Poland is overrated or underrated.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 am
GABmiral

jnurp wrote:

He's an absolute ripper of a guitarist. He gets a raw deal, imo; in that he was followed up by Friedman. No one is coming out of that comparison unscathed.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 am
Hall of Fame Member

I know Poland is a great player but he is heralded as a hero by early megadeth fans as being this jazz metal genius and actually give him the credit for the peace sells sound rather than mave. Then you have the other side that compares his brief catalog with martys and he gets blown off the charts and considered Jeff young esque if you will. Just a fill.in guy till Marty arrived. Interesting debate in and of itself.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 am
GABmiral

jnurp wrote:
I know Poland is a great player but he is heralded as a hero by early megadeth fans as being this jazz metal genius and actually give him the credit for the peace sells sound rather than mave. Then you have the other side that compares his brief catalog with martys and he gets blown off the charts and considered Jeff young esque if you will. Just a fill.in guy till Marty arrived. Interesting debate in and of itself.

Those people are dumb.

:D

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am
Hall of Fame Member

My order for Megadeth albums:

1. Peace Sells...
2. Rust
3. Dystopia
4. Everything else

Great albums but none of them have the genre defining power of Ride the Lightning (the album that defined thrash), Master of Puppets (album that perfected thrash), And Justice for All (album that took thrash to its logical conclusion).

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
jnurp wrote:

He's an absolute ripper of a guitarist. He gets a raw deal, imo; in that he was followed up by Friedman. No one is coming out of that comparison unscathed.

He had a buffer zone of Jeff Young, though. It's more that he vanished off the face of the earth for a while, peeked his head up for one solo album, disappeared again, then went jazz.

He's great at everything he does, though. Chris (and Gar) do deserve a good chunk of credit for the Peace Sells sound. There is a pretty decent difference between KIMB and Peace Sells, and only a year between the two, and most of KIMB was written before Chris or Gar were involved.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am

Metallica have always been slightly more mainstream friendly. As early as Ride the Lightning they were playing soft ballads....

Megadeth was always more technical, which is why I prefer them over Metallica. Better riffs, better melodies, better solos, but because they're more technical it's tougher for people to get into. And Dave's terrible voice (even worse live), as mentioned, doesn't help either.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I like both Metallica and Megadeth about equally, but Kill em All is my favorite record between both bands. And if that's because Mave wrote much of that record, then it makes sense. :D
Much prefer Poland to Friedman, too. TBH I'd rather listen to Mave's leads then Friedman's. I do realize that Marty is an amazing player, but his style wears me out.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Everyone complaining about maves vox needs to listen to dystopia. He sounds amazing and has learned how to work within his limitations properly. Imo he sounds better than ever and his old man gravel really sounds great now.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dystopia was such a radical departure from the previous two albums, in that it was actually good. Dave works best when he's pissed off, and he actually made his voice work with the music; something he doesn't do very well.

Focused Megadeth is better musically, but those first two albums were raw and angry, and that goes a long way. That's the argument for Marty, but I saw a video on YouTube, where Chris Poland was shredding on a Les Paul, through a THD Flexi 50, and his phrasing was so much more fluid than anything Marty has done. Jazz guitarists who play metal are, in my opinion, more interesting than pure shredders. Marty has become more interesting over the years, but Poland had it first.

The less said about Super Collider, the better. It's Risk, stripped of everything that made that album interesting.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 am
Hall of Fame Member

andvari7 wrote:
Dystopia was such a radical departure from the previous two albums, in that it was actually good. Dave works best when he's pissed off, and he actually made his voice work with the music; something he doesn't do very well.

Focused Megadeth is better musically, but those first two albums were raw and angry, and that goes a long way. That's the argument for Marty, but I saw a video on YouTube, where Chris Poland was shredding on a Les Paul, through a THD Flexi 50, and his phrasing was so much more fluid than anything Marty has done. Jazz guitarists who play metal are, in my opinion, more interesting than pure shredders. Marty has become more interesting over the years, but Poland had it first.

The less said about Super Collider, the better. It's Risk, stripped of everything that made that album interesting.

Alex Skolnick ftmfw

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Yarbicus wrote:
andvari7 wrote:

Alex Skolnick ftmfw

Until I saw that Poland video, I'd be 1000% behind this statement. Skolnick is still my favorite thrash guitarist, but it's now a debate worth having.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 pm
Hall of Fame Member

andvari7 wrote:
Yarbicus wrote:
andvari7 wrote:

Alex Skolnick ftmfw

Until I saw that Poland video, I'd be 1000% behind this statement. Skolnick is still my favorite thrash guitarist, but it's now a debate worth having.

I actually agree with you. Wish I hadn't lost my copy of Return to Metalopolis.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I'm going to get creamed here but I think skolnicks work with testament is vastly overrated. Great player yes, but not exatcly original or memorable like Marty was.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 am
GABmiral

jnurp wrote:
I'm going to get creamed here but I think skolnicks work with testament is vastly overrated. Great player yes, but not exatcly original or memorable like Marty was.

I actually agree with you. He's a good player for sure but his leads were never the star of that show for me. Chuck Billy and Eric Peterson's riffing? F. Yes.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
jnurp wrote:

I actually agree with you. He's a good player for sure but his leads were never the star of that show for me. Chuck Billy and Eric Peterson's riffing? F. Yes.

No crime there. Skolnick can be more polarizing than Marty. And I LOVE Eric Peterson's palying.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
jnurp wrote:

We are brothas from different muthas man. I have always said that chuck billy is a legend in metal and certainly the most overlooked and underrated vocalist in metal history. Those pipes are still effin golden. Dude is almost 60, beat cancer and still delivering the goods. What a monster.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
G-SPACE wrote:
Albert Ross'd

Mamberg Jr'd?

Or Mamberg II'd?

Wha'd I do???

But honestly, I really loved Gar and Poland's playing in Megadeth. Gar was a BEAST on the kit (Rip) And Chris Poland has a style not matched by anyone. It's out there. I'm usually a sucker for a bands debut album, and Megadeth is no Exception. Gar goes ham on every track on KIMB, and there is a HUGE distinction between a Chris Poland solo and a Dave Mustaine solo.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Walt wrote:
I like both Metallica and Megadeth about equally, but Kill em All is my favorite record between both bands. And if that's because Mave wrote much of that record, then it makes sense. :D
Much prefer Poland to Friedman, too. TBH I'd rather listen to Mave's leads then Friedman's. I do realize that Marty is an amazing player, but his style wears me out.

I can agree with EVERY statement in this one post... We have similar taste, my friend.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 pm
GABmiral

Fuck Megadeth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It always amazes me when these guys want to tell "their side of the story"

News flash: your product IS your side of the story. It tells everything we need to know.

- Guitarbilly

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

hardvalve wrote:
Fuck Megadeth.

:heartbr:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 pm
GABmiral

Megadeth > Metallica

James Murphy > Alex Skolnick (though I do enjoy a lot of Alex's playing)

Maves voice sucks, but somehow I'm able to look past that

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 pm
GABmiral

jnurp wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
jnurp wrote:

We are brothas from different muthas man. I have always said that chuck billy is a legend in metal and certainly the most overlooked and underrated vocalist in metal history. Those pipes are still effin golden. Dude is almost 60, beat cancer and still delivering the goods. What a monster.

Chuck is one of the greatest thrash singers of all time for sure. Testaments genius was in songs, not individual pets I think. They just had solid material with very competent players. Alex gets boring after too long.

Now I think I am one of the fair few that will openly admit to loving Megadeth ESPECIALLY TWNAH... you GOTTA be a fan to admit liking that album.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Master Of Puppets, it just has better songwriting.

That's the best metal album of all time. I don't care how great you think Rust In Peace is (and it is a really good album) but MOP is metal perfection. AJFA and RTL are not far behind either.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

Master Of Puppets, it just has better songwriting.

That's the best metal album of all time. I don't care how great you think Rust In Peace is (and it is a really good album) but MOP is metal perfection. AJFA and RTL are not far behind either.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

jnurp wrote:
Post 2000, james should have ditched lars and Kirk and went on to make some amazing music as long as he wasn't the main vocalist. The biggest problem is that Bob rock lied to him.and told him he could sing. Hets vox were amazing until the early 90s then he became a yodeler. Kirk is just absolute shit. Can't solo can't contribute to the writing process. They got lazy and he relishes the role of permanent hired gun. He must be so easy to work with as they keep him around to do absolutely nothing. I get it, but they never grew as a band from their highest point because they became those guys holding armani shopping bags.
Dave on the other hand has always written hungry. Aside from a few stinkers here and there, all.of his music sounds spirited and hungry. He doesn't seem content. Perhaps its the perpetual chip on his shoulder from always being #2. I hear passion and have an emotional connection with his music to this day. Metallica is just writing low hanging fruit. Lars can only do so much and kirk is just awful. Robert is counting his brinks truck full of cash but he can't possibly enjoy playing st anger forward.

Kirk has tons of writing credits. He wrote the riff to Enter Sandman for example, and he wrote part of the intro to MoP, just to name a couple obvious ones.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

jnurp wrote:

As far as solo material is concerned, Chris Poland's songwriting kills Marty's. Just listen to Ohm for instance (although not a real solo project).

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

JerEvil wrote:
Now I think I am one of the fair few that will openly admit to loving Megadeth ESPECIALLY TWNAH... you GOTTA be a fan to admit liking that album.

Oh god. I think I hate TWNAH even more than Risk. I liked it okay enough when it came out, but revisiting it? Eeew. Completely the opposite of Risk in that regard.

Still better than Supercollider, though.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am
Hall of Fame Member

The Hiryuu wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

Oh god. I think I hate TWNAH even more than Risk. I liked it okay enough when it came out, but revisiting it? Eeew. Completely the opposite of Risk in that regard.

Still better than Supercollider, though.

:lol:

It's funny because it's true.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am
GABmiral

Fuck this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It always amazes me when these guys want to tell "their side of the story"

News flash: your product IS your side of the story. It tells everything we need to know.

- Guitarbilly

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 pm
GABmiral

JerEvil wrote:

I bailed on Megadeth after CTE, then got back into them with TWNAH and Al Pitrelli was a big part of that. Aside from a few tracks I haven't liked much of their stuff since that album.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Al Pitrelli is gross. The Drovers are gross. Chris Broderick was intriguing for about a song or three then ended up gross :freak: :lol:

I've listened to Risk once. Maybe twice. Never listened to SuperCollider or Thurte!1n or wtf-ever garbage that was. I think there might be a song on TWNAH that I liked? No reason for me to listen to it again. Dystopia (and sure as f**k) Kiko are astronomical steps up from anything post-System has Failed.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 am
Hall of Fame Member

Kilo is on Marty's level. He is a legit guitar hero but he's 20 years too late to capitalize on that.

Young bands capture the imagination of young people and become relevant and memorialize their talent within that generations existence. But as time passes, people grow older and less likely to accept new hero's to add to their initial influx during formative years.

So kiko who is 45 or 46 comes along and he's writing and playing for people probably mid 30s to mid 50s. These aged group Adults are probably reluctant to idolize other contemporaries just due to maturity.

So what I'm saying is that if dystopia came out in 1990, kiko would be celebrated how Marty was. Or at least close. Dude is freakin awesome.

Bogner Shiva
Mesa boogie single recto
THR10

www.soundcloud.com/jnurp

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next