Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Anybody here into old punk music? 
Hall of Fame Member

So I was watching Stranger Things 2 with Mrs. Fingers this weekend, and there is a scene where this hessian looking kid puts on a pair of orange foam headphones, hits play on the walkman, and I'll be darned, it's a punk song by a local band I grew up seeing called Ill Repute.

phpBB [video]

Took many a lump on the head in the pit at these shows! Mind you this is little Oxnard, CA. I had no idea these guys gained any sort of national exposure. Was it just a goof by the creators of the show, or would Ill Repute have had a following in Illinois in 1984? Anybody ever hear of the Nardcore album / sound? Pretty much all of the local bands when I was coming up were punk bands, but I honestly never thought to consider that it went beyond our city. Apparently it might have been a big deal, lol.

I know ajaxlepinski is in a punk band (love your flyers, Brian!), but which other of you degenerates are still into the punk scene? :lol:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm
GABmiral

I LOVE old school hardcore. DK, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Ramones. I came up with that alongside thrash and speedmetal and I love it equally, albeit for obvious different reasons. I was in a punk band back in high school called Nuns with Guns . We had one song (Reagan Sucks) :rawk: Instant classic status that addressed all the political issues at the time :hmm: :loon: :lol:

Never heard of the band other than the ST soundtrack but I dig it. I'd love to be in a dad punk band :love:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 pm
GABmiral

Yeah I am still a punk guy. Still listen and write it.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

:evil: FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD :evil:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
I remember Ill Repute! WOW! Blast from the past!!!

I never owned any but, a buddy had a few of their records. He had just about every hardcore album ever made and he drank A LOT of beer :lol:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd. :rawk:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm
Hall of Fame Member

eeeyeeaah... elderpunk here as well since the mid 80s. gettin' old, but still doing the DIY schpiel, still playing a variant of punk (though it would probably be unrecognizable to my neanderthal 14 year old ears as such), still recording the old fashioned way, and doing shit for free, and pitching in to the community of kids doing the same.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:56 pm
GABmiral

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
One of my favorite SOCAL 80's punk bands...
phpBB [video]

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd. :rawk:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:44 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I guess i'm an old punk, i was very into it at the time, late 70's, but probably didnt really listen to anything newer after the early 80's, although i would definitely say it was a big influence in both life and the bands/projects I've been in. Tbh, i wasn't aware of the bands mentioned so far in this thread.

https://www.reverbnation.com/karakorum/ ... ant-it-all
https://www.reverbnation.com/karakorum/ ... -like-that

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yep love old punk, I used to play in punk bands (with a slight grunge sound too) while I was gigging a lot.
I was highly influenced by 70's and 80's punk.
I was really happy to play the same stage as the UK subs (who were great live and Charlie Harper was already 63 at the time).

Spam zero at the mo

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 am
GABmiral

My all time favorite punk tune...

phpBB [video]

Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard
But I think "oh bondage, up yours!"
One-two-three-four!
Bind me, tie me, chain me to the wall
I wanna be a slave to you all
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Chain-store chainsmoke, I consume you all
Chain-gang chainmail, I don't think at all
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Thrash, me crush me, beat me till I fall
I wanna be a victim for you all
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more
Oh bondage, up yours
Oh bondage, no more!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 am
Hall of Fame Member

yes. used to listen to this stuff a lot .....still do if the mood strikes me.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm
GABmiral

Man, I never had a copy of Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death... just ordered one at Amazon!!! :thu:

Always liked Fear
phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

phpBB [video]

This is my shit when it comes to punk... :beavis:
I think this is why I got into thrash :lol:

Mechanix>Four Horsemen :)

mamberg II

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Yes!!! I'm still a skatepunk at heart.

A lot of great bands posted here, already.
I'll add Stooges, DOA, TSOL, Crass, Demented are Go!, MDC, Circle Jerks, Black Flag (prefer the Morris or Dez version but I like Rollins too), Teen Idles/Minor Threat/Fugazi, All, The Elderly, JFA, The Dickies, Naked Raygun, The Accused, Agent Orange, Gang Green, Agnostic Front, The Clash... off the top of my head.
The band that I really loved, though, was Dead Boys. I've watched that infamous CBGBs show so many times. :heart:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 am
Profile WWW
GABmiral

Too many bands to name. But I will say this..... The Bad Brains are the kings of the hill. No one even comes close. I Against I is not just the best punk album of all time, it's one of the best albums of all time. Period. Any decade, any style.

Also, best punk soundtrack goes to the movie Repo Man.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

TurboPablo wrote:
Too many bands to name. But I will say this..... The Bad Brains are the kings of the hill. No one even comes close. I Against I is not just the best punk album of all time, it's one of the best albums of all time. Period. Any decade, any style.

it would be hard to argue against that. their early shit was really intense and my favorite era. I really liked the more reggae vibe era too though.

this Bad Brains doc is awesome and also shows a great history of punk in general.

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am
Hall of Fame Member

TurboPablo wrote:

Hard to argue with this. Game changer.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
GABmiral

What's a punk thread without SATD????? Finally got to see them.... 29 years later!!! :lol:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm
Registered Member

Did you guys watch Filmage? Great documentary on Descendents/All

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I actually got into punk before I seriously started listening to metal. Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, English Dogs, Exploited, The Damned, Black Flag, The Clash, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Agnostic Front, The Descendents, GBH, DRI, Dayglo Abortions, SNFU, Sudden Impact. etc, etc..

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]